A missing shortcut and a second bug as well
I did a quick search before posting this and could not find anything so here goes…

I have installed Frodo upgrading from Dharma (using hybrid skin) and I have stumbled on some bugs … I think.

First …

When browsing a directory in videos file mode the context menu does not have the “switch media” option. When browsing a directory in music file mode the “switch media” option is there.

I was quite surprised about this since, although it is not of critical importance, a missing shortcut is rather big thing to miss, unless this was done intentionally though I do not see the reasoning if it was.

And second …

In XBMC Dharma when going back and forth between directories and databases the program remembered where you last where and got you there directly.

For example:

If I was into TV Shows – Series Name – Season Three – cursor highlighting episode 8
and I jumped (using the favorites menu) to a music folder in file mode, to listen to a song
afterwards when pressing in my remote the button corresponding to the TV Shows library I would got directly to where I was at i.e. highlighting episode 8.

That would work the other way too of course, that is if I choose (again through the favorites menu) the same music folder I would get into the folder/track I just played.

That does not happen any more . this means that every time the user has to navigate back to where he has been, which is time consuming and annoying, imo.

I pretty sure that both bugs won’t be a high priority for the developers, but out of the two I personally would like to see the second one fixed first.
For the first one, that's because in XBMC v11 there is no longer a Library Mode and a File mode. Just a Library view and a File view. Pretty much works the same way, but they're views you navigate to, rather than something you switch between.
(2013-02-06, 14:39)Ned Scott Wrote: For the first one, that's because in XBMC v11 there is no longer a Library Mode and a File mode. Just a Library view and a File view. Pretty much works the same way, but they're views you navigate to, rather than something you switch between.

Even so ...
as you said it is pretty much the same thing and the user experience is crippled,

because the user may still want to switch media in a directory structure while in video-file-mode, which as long as this is not a bug, based on what you say, is something that will not be allowed anymore.

very bad imho.
Maybe I'm not understanding/remembering what "switch media" did...
There's no "Switch media" context menu option for Videos in Eden either... which has been out for almost a year.

Personally, I don't see much use for this option (even though it's still available for Music) in a well-organized installation where you have your media files segregated by content type on a local disk or file server. In some ways, it can be downright confusing to start out looking at Music files and using "switch media" end up looking for Video files, of which you may not find any, because your current path is still pointed at Music files directory(ies). The only place where I might see some usefulness is for removable media (e.g., thumbdrive) where there may be an unorganized hodgepodge of various types of media files, so this option allows you to quickly switch the "filter" from listing Music files to Video or Picture files on that drive without having to go back to the main menu to select Videos or Pictures and then selecting the drive again.
(2013-02-07, 09:41)artrafael Wrote: There's no "Switch media" context menu option for Videos in Eden either... which has been out for almost a year.

Personally, I don't see much use for this option (even though it's still available for Music) in a well-organized installation where you have your media files segregated by content type on a local disk or file server. In some ways, it can be downright confusing to start out looking at Music files and using "switch media" end up looking for Video files, of which you may not find any, because your current path is still pointed at Music files directory(ies). The only place where I might see some usefulness is for removable media (e.g., thumbdrive) where there may be an unorganized hodgepodge of various types of media files, so this option allows you to quickly switch the "filter" from listing Music files to Video or Picture files on that drive without having to go back to the main menu to select Videos or Pictures and then selecting the drive again.

i agree to a certain extent with what you say, in a well organized and categorized file server the option is obsolete.
i do have that. a) one nas that holds both music (in one folder with a multi sub directory structure) and TV shows b) a nas only for movies

i was not referring to something like that when i was making the remark.

this is not always the case. media can also be stored either temporarily or permanently to other sources as well.
i also have a smaller hdd that occasionally holds both video files and music that is not yet categorized/distributed.

from an end user's point of view keeping the option would not have done any harm. unless it was removed for development reasons which i do not believe since it is still kept in music.

the scenario you are suggesting
"it can be downright confusing to start out looking at Music files and using "switch media" end up looking for Video files, of which you may not find any, because your current path is still pointed at Music files directory(ies)."

is not quite right since i and no one for that matter i believe, would start looking for videos in a folder where only music is held.

but it is likely to have in a hard drive (connected either with Ethernet or usb) could have folder(s) for music and separate folder(s) for video files.
I never suggested that music and videos are all within the same folder. same hdd yes, but same folder no.

in this scenario if you could switch media you would do in the same screen:
1. go once up a directory (pressing a button only once)
2. navigate to another directory (number of buttons to be pressed depends on the number of folders).
3. switch from videos to music (or vice versa) two button presses on a remote. & play

now (if playing music) and you cannot switch media you have to
1. call favorites (if you have this directory or hdd on the list), navigate the list to shortcut for the same hdd but for videos (more than three button presses on a remote, depending on the list)
2. navigate to a folder (number of buttons to be pressed depends on the number of folders).
3. play.

overall my impression is that the switch media option gives flexibility and simplifies things, hence the fewer clicks on the remote.

It's just a switch between videos and music? In that case you can probably do the same with a custom keymap (wiki). Not sure I understand, though. With more direction I might be able to give more specific advice.
It's basically an option to switch the types of files displayed in a file list of whichever directory you are currently viewing (e.g., from music files to video files). This "Switch media" option is available in the Music > Files view context menu and, apparently, was available in the Videos > Files view context menu prior to Eden.

A very simplistic equivalent would be:
ls *.avi
vs.
ls *.mp3

or for Windows:
dir *.avi
vs.
dir *.mp3
If using a remote the blue/red/yellow/green buttons should just switch to another media

The last visited directory is kept just the same, at least in my Frodo+

uNi
That's my thinking as well... or simply hit Esc to go back to the main menu and select another media option. However, the OP sees some value in switching the media-type view in situ (e.g., he's drilled down several directory levels and wants to switch views right there). I don't see much value in that feature myself, but he raises a valid question as to why this was removed for Videos but retained for Music.
Music hasnt really received same attention, for instance why can you remove a item in library in videos and you cant in music ok bad comparison but yea.

At some stage some options were clean up from context menu and they only show up when your in root dir and not anywhere else like highlighted a source/media as the case may be and vice versa.

uNi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A missing shortcut and a second bug as well 0