Addon GUI Communication
Hi all,
I'm new to XBMC but not to python or gui programming.

I've been playing around and had quite a bit of success accomplishing the various parts and pieces of the addon I am trying to create.

Here is where I am totally hung up: I can create a video plugin with in-list navigation and auto list population easily, and I can create a gui based addon with event loop style calls, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to integrate the two. It would be extremely helpful if I could, as my plugin is intended to scrape a database of videos and offer a variety of filtering methods in a non-strictly-hierarchical way.

For more clarity: Let's say we have have a database of videos (not the xmbc db, it is not flexible enough for my purposes, at least not the way I understand it). Each video has four or five criteria, i.e. Show, Episode, Chapter, Is A Favorite, maybe something else. I want to be able to, from the gui, allow the user to show only videos from the same Show that are Favorited, or alternatively, from the same Show, Episode, and are Favorited, etc. In any combination. In my perfect world I would have drop down lists at the top for each criteria, and when changes to the criteria were made, the video list would be updated. Currently I have a complicated system of in-list navigation that works fine, but is not that user friendly.

What I'm struggling with is actually pretty simple on the surface, and maybe I'm just overlooking something obvious. How can I build a custom gui (either directly via python, or via Python + xml) that can display a customized navigation bar (probably with dynamically populated dialogs for filter selections), AND a dynamically populatable video list? I think the crux of it is actually "how can I create a custom gui with a real video list?", as all the list style controls I have figured out how to create seem to act completely differently from the default video list.

I have lots more specific questions that might lead me to the right place, but I figured I'd pose the general case to all you experts and see if you could point me down the right trail, as I have honestly kind of confused myself at this point with all the various methodologies I've tried.

Thank you so much.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Addon GUI Communication0