[HOWTO] Permanently fix your remote so that it is handled by LIRC
(2013-10-15, 14:51)Preacher Wrote:
(2013-02-09, 22:02)FishOil Wrote: You people are unbelievable.
I have yet to find a ir remote I cant make work in 15 min. ANY button ANY function.
Do I have to make a "HOW TO" on "how to get ANY ir remote working in 15 min or less?"
Its not rocket science people and it has NOTHING to do with keyboard.xml
I'm afraid I'm with negge on this one.

I've got a remote that "just works" but when I came to remap the buttons, it seems entries in remote.xml/keyboard.xml/Lircmap.xml weren't parsed. I have a custom keyfile that I took from my pi that used Lirc, but irw didn't show anything on XBMCbuntu - I was a victim of the "Changes to Linux IR".

I even posted this as a feature request - remapping remote keys shouldn't be as painful as editing XML files, it should be something doable from the System/Settings screen (although granted it probably only needs to be done once or twice so doesn't really warrant its own control setting)

Whatever floats your boat.
Give a man a fish or teach a man to fish.
If you follow my guide you will have a very tight grip on how XBMC interacts with Lirc and never be confused.
In this case I taught you HOW to fish. Use ANY IR remote you want. Beg for fish or catch a fish. Take it or leave it. Its up to you.
(2013-10-15, 21:12)FishOil Wrote: If you follow my guide you will have a very tight grip on how XBMC interacts with Lirc and never be confused.
I'll certainly give it a go, but your guide is really how XBMCbuntu interacts with Lirc, so some directions weren't appropriate with raspBMC.

If it permits me to do custom key remapping on my controller, I'll bestow you in fish. And oil. And breadcrumbs.
(2013-10-16, 14:42)Preacher Wrote:
(2013-10-15, 21:12)FishOil Wrote: If you follow my guide you will have a very tight grip on how XBMC interacts with Lirc and never be confused.
I'll certainly give it a go, but your guide is really how XBMCbuntu interacts with Lirc, so some directions weren't appropriate with raspBMC.

If it permits me to do custom key remapping on my controller, I'll bestow you in fish. And oil. And breadcrumbs.

If you have Lirc setup correctly on whatever OS you are using the guide will work.
I choose XBMCbuntu only because Lirc is setup correctly during install and to prove the point that it works.
If your remote is already setup correctly but dont like the way the buttons are mapped you can use the guide to remap the buttons and not worry about Lirc.
You would only modify the files below the .xbmc directory.
For the most part the guide is about XBMC.
Its still VERY important that you understand the relationship between Lirc and XBMC. All the guides in the world wont help you remap those buttons if you dont understand the relationship.

Look at posts 24 26 & 27 in this post.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=150228&page=3

If your /etc/lirc/lircd.conf file has an include statement in it, that is where Lirc is getting the button codes and name from (/usr/share/lirc/remotes/).
That directory has 48 manufactures remotes in it and likely hundreds of models of remotes.
If your remote dose not work out of the box you might be able to simply change the include location and skip the first part of my guide (naming the buttons).

It will all make sense once you understand the Lirc XBMC interaction. Good Luck.
okay, will do - thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOWTO] Permanently fix your remote so that it is handled by LIRC0