Advanced Launcher & Firefox problem on Ubuntu
Hello All,

I run ubuntu 12.04 with manually installed Xbmc 12 from the main repository. I also have installed the last version of advance launcher from the angelcry's repository.

Now I normally boot to XBMC session. When I do that and I want to run firefox through advanced launcher, the firefox windows comes up but has no input (no mouse nor keyboard). I can see the keyboard is affecting the XBMC in the background.

When I log out of XBMC session and log into unity and then manually run XBMC everything works fine.

What can be the problem?

There is no problem. Firefox is an application that need to be started into a desktop/windows manager environment (like unity or openbox) to be fully functionnal. When your start an XBMC session, no desktop/windows manager environment is loaded, so Firefox cannnot work correctly. That's normal... that's the goal of the XBMC session (start XBMC with minium application running into parallel). Here you have 2 solution to bypass this :
  • Create a script that will start from XBMC/Advanced Launcher a light desktop/windows manager environment (like openbox) then that will start Firefox.
  • Or log into a desktop/windows manager environment that will automatically start XBMC. Then all started application from XBMC/Advanced Launcher will work correctly.
Hello Angelscry,

Thanks for your advice. It works very well when run after openbox. Thanks for the great plugin.
Same Problem for me. I launched Chromium with the Advanced Laucher and it opens the Browser in Fullscreed-Mode. I can't quit the browser window because of no mousecursor or keyboard.
The only way is to quit by rebooting but then the XBMC-mainwindow is very small in the upper left corner of the TV-Screen. If I start Adcanced Launcher from the small window, the main window shortly gets maximezed but then the browser starts again with no cursor or keyboard action.
How can I quit chromium and return to a normal, maximezed XBMC-window ?
After the sixths reboot I'm back to the "normal", maximezed XBMC-window....

(2013-02-10, 20:48)Angelscry Wrote: [*]Create a script that will start from XBMC/Advanced Launcher a light desktop/windows manager environment (like openbox) then that will start Firefox.

Can you explain how to start chromium with the script mentioned ?

Thanks
(2013-02-11, 20:47)hhbernd Wrote: Same Problem for me. I launched Chromium with the Advanced Laucher and it opens the Browser in Fullscreed-Mode. I can't quit the browser window because of no mousecursor or keyboard.
The only way is to quit by rebooting but then the XBMC-mainwindow is very small in the upper left corner of the TV-Screen. If I start Adcanced Launcher from the small window, the main window shortly gets maximezed but then the browser starts again with no cursor or keyboard action.
How can I quit chromium and return to a normal, maximezed XBMC-window ?
If you do not have started any windows manager before, there is no way. You try to start an application that require mouse and keyboard feature into a system that do not manage it.

(2013-02-11, 21:44)hhbernd Wrote: After the sixths reboot I'm back to the "normal", maximezed XBMC-window....

(2013-02-10, 20:48)Angelscry Wrote: [*]Create a script that will start from XBMC/Advanced Launcher a light desktop/windows manager environment (like openbox) then that will start Firefox.

Can you explain how to start chromium with the script mentioned ?

Thanks
You can try this : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=139269
Thanks for the answer
Quote:You can try this : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=139269
That helped me very much.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advanced Launcher & Firefox problem on Ubuntu0