wireless media server
i am creating a wireless media server with a 16tb capacity. i am looking for ideas and guidance since this will be my first time attempting something of this size and variables. i need to have wireless access for multiple users that can view any file and copy them but not be allowed to alter or delete anything. anything anyone can tell me would be a huge help.
I don't see how this is related to XBMC development - moved
At 16 TB I assume you plan to store and serve high bitrate 1080P and maybe 3D stuff. My advise is therefore to make sure you build something with an ethernet jack. Wi-fi has its uses but I personally only rely on it for one TV and had to install a dedicated access point nearby to get it to work well with all my media. Both my Playbook and iPad use a Plex client to play stuff transcoded down to 8 or 10 Mbps. Any higher and it's not reliable enough unless I'm close to a router or access point. File permissions are a function of the OS you use.
I'd be interested to see how you get along with this too. I have my media centre just downstairs, below my server, and I'm not allowed to run any cable. I currently cannot run 1080p movies over wifi. Any recommendations on a adapter that would have the speed needed? I get full strength signal as the distance is quite small.
I am using everything wireless in my apartment. Just make sure you have a proper quality wireless access point. The budget accesspoints do not cut it. (And by budget i also mean the 100/150usd/euro ones)
I have a Brocade Mobility 7131 AP which is based on a Motorola device. I get way over 100mbit/sec inside. The biggest video files i use have a bitrate of about 30mbit/sec and i never had a problem.

You can also try Cisco or Aruba accesspoints. Also, use a proper client card. I have good experience with Intel wifi cards.

My storage server (25TB) is located in a datacenter on a gigabit internet pipe and i stream all my XBMC content from there via HTTPS.
(2013-02-14, 18:51)muxer107 Wrote: I'd be interested to see how you get along with this too. I have my media centre just downstairs, below my server, and I'm not allowed to run any cable. I currently cannot run 1080p movies over wifi. Any recommendations on a adapter that would have the speed needed? I get full strength signal as the distance is quite small.

This is exactly my scenario. I have a WD TV Live box in my basement that had a reasonably strong signal from two different wireless routers but high-bitrate 1080p stuff wouldn't play well. In my case I installed a WAP on the first floor right above the WD box (distance is maybe 7', through the floor) because I happened to have one lying around and there's a switch there to plug into. If I had to buy something it would have been a good Powerline adapter. Look around for deals but be sure to Google for reviews before buying. Price does not necessarily represent quality and the speed numbers on the package are generally optimistic at best.
I updated everything to wireless N, and while I only get 65mbps connections, all movies are streaming fine (buffers full).
MOCA is a much better alternative

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
wireless media server1