• 3(current)
Consilium B: XBMC remote (unofficial remote)
Thank you for your response rschiks.

I just took a look into the json api and made some tests. The GetEpisodes call as done from Consilium takes 32 seconds to complete on my rp. Thus you're right, it's the 30 seconds timeout that makes the result in Consilium empty. I checked the the GetSongs() call, too. This call never succeeds with the passed parameters. After some time (more than a minute) the rp closes the connection. That's either a rp internal timeout or a size restriction. When i remove the fanart and the thumbnail parameter the call succeeds (nearly 4 MB and 60 sec runtime). Interestingly, the fanart parameter alone let the call fail.
I had the same timeout problem when I tried to make Music Pump XBMC Remote work with the raspberry pi. A lot of things have been improved and changed in xbmc frodo since then and fetching songs is much faster on recent xbmc builds.

I fixed the problem by fetching the songs in batches (using List.Limits). That way the requests won't time out and the data is also returned much faster.

We discussed it in the json-rpc thread.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1183447
(2013-03-02, 21:55)Millencolin007 Wrote: I had the same timeout problem when I tried to make Music Pump XBMC Remote work with the raspberry pi. A lot of things have been improved and changed in xbmc frodo since then and fetching songs is much faster on recent xbmc builds.

I fixed the problem by fetching the songs in batches (using List.Limits). That way the requests won't time out and the data is also returned much faster.

We discussed it in the json-rpc thread.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1183447

Thanks for the advice!
Using batches sounds great. I will take a look at it.
Proud owner of comics42.shop 
(2013-03-02, 21:40)Lordan Wrote: Thank you for your response rschiks.

I just took a look into the json api and made some tests. The GetEpisodes call as done from Consilium takes 32 seconds to complete on my rp. Thus you're right, it's the 30 seconds timeout that makes the result in Consilium empty. I checked the the GetSongs() call, too. This call never succeeds with the passed parameters. After some time (more than a minute) the rp closes the connection. That's either a rp internal timeout or a size restriction. When i remove the fanart and the thumbnail parameter the call succeeds (nearly 4 MB and 60 sec runtime). Interestingly, the fanart parameter alone let the call fail.

I am going to take the advise of Millencolin007 and see if I can do it in batches. To be continued! Big Grin
Thanks! To give a benchmark on my raspberry pi: While my rp streams a 256k audio stream, a batch of 1000 songs takes 36 sec and returns about 600KB using that request:

http://raspbmc.local/jsonrpc?request={"method":"AudioLibrary.GetSongs","id":-311030993,"jsonrpc":"2.0","params":{"limits":{"end":2000,"start":1000},"sort":{"order":"ascending"},"properties":["title","artist","albumartist","genre","year","rating","album","track","duration","comment","lyrics","musicbrainztrackid","musicbrainzartistid","musicbrainzalbumid","musicbrainzalbumartistid","playcount","fanart","thumbnail","file","artistid","albumid"]}}

I did some more tests. See the table below. "Other parameters" mean all parameters from the request mentioned above without the fanart and the thumbnail.

Other parameters____Fanart____Thumbnail_____Duration
X_________________X_________X____________36s
X_________________-_________X____________28s
X_________________X_________-____________36s
X_________________-_________-____________16s
-__________________X________X____________28s
-__________________-________X____________17s
-__________________X________-_____________28s

Assuming that no one needs fanart on music you could speed up the request on about 20% when you don't supply that parameter.
(2013-03-03, 13:13)Lordan Wrote: Thanks! To give a benchmark on my raspberry pi: While my rp streams a 256k audio stream, a batch of 1000 songs takes 36 sec and returns about 600KB using that request:

http://raspbmc.local/jsonrpc?request={"method":"AudioLibrary.GetSongs","id":-311030993,"jsonrpc":"2.0","params":{"limits":{"end":2000,"start":1000},"sort":{"order":"ascending"},"properties":["title","artist","albumartist","genre","year","rating","album","track","duration","comment","lyrics","musicbrainztrackid","musicbrainzartistid","musicbrainzalbumid","musicbrainzalbumartistid","playcount","fanart","thumbnail","file","artistid","albumid"]}}

I did some more tests. See the table below. "Other parameters" mean all parameters from the request mentioned above without the fanart and the thumbnail.

Other parameters____Fanart____Thumbnail_____Duration
X_________________X_________X____________36s
X_________________-_________X____________28s
X_________________X_________-____________36s
X_________________-_________-____________16s
-__________________X________X____________28s
-__________________-________X____________17s
-__________________X________-_____________28s

Assuming that no one needs fanart on music you could speed up the request on about 20% when you don't supply that parameter.

So, a 1000 songs at a time should be ok. You are right about the fanart for songs.

Thanks for the numbers and helping out!
From tests on Yatse 500 seems to be the best value Smile

About thumb / fanart it's faster to query for art to get both than asking for them individually Wink (So either ask for none or for art should be the same as just thumbs)
(2013-03-03, 13:54)Tolriq Wrote: From tests on Yatse 500 seems to be the best value Smile

About thumb / fanart it's faster to query for art to get both than asking for them individually Wink (So either ask for none or for art should be the same as just thumbs)

ok, 500 it will be.
After giving it some thought, I completely removed the fan art and thumbnail parameters from the query. I don't think any one will use it for songs (just like Lordan said). It's something different for albums.
Hi There,
small Question:
is there a limit of movies you can manage with this tool ( Frodo latest version is installed) ?
When i start it, i got the recently added movies, etc., but if you select movies the list only comes up with "no movies found",
Constallation works and show all movies, xbmc remote ( official ) seems to have the same problem like your app.
(2013-03-03, 16:12)Linusorg Wrote: Hi There,
small Question:
is there a limit of movies you can manage with this tool ( Frodo latest version is installed) ?
When i start it, i got the recently added movies, etc., but if you select movies the list only comes up with "no movies found",
Constallation works and show all movies, xbmc remote ( official ) seems to have the same problem like your app.

There's no limit. I think it's a time-out issue. About how many movies are we talking here?
Hi Rschiks,
we are walking a bigger collection here
should be something like 5000 movies and close to 200 TV Shows.
Wireless reception is optimal and no problems here or with constallation.
If you ned further information pls let me know
(2013-03-03, 17:20)Linusorg Wrote: Hi Rschiks,
we are walking a bigger collection here
should be something like 5000 movies and close to 200 TV Shows.
Wireless reception is optimal and no problems here or with constallation.
If you ned further information pls let me know

I guess we found the issue. Time-outs are really hot right now. Laugh
In the next version you can change the time-out yourself.

In not all cases this will help (check the posts above). A better way is to get the results in batches (especially with large collections). I will look into this.
thx for clarifoication, but no sweat take your time.
might also be a solution that you have a small local db and just run updates, if this is possible ?
Best Regards
Linus
(2013-03-03, 17:39)Linusorg Wrote: thx for clarifoication, but no sweat take your time.
might also be a solution that you have a small local db and just run updates, if this is possible ?
Best Regards
Linus

Well, a local db has it's pro's and con's....A quick look at the api's shows no api call to get back the updates, so that means you have to do it yourself. Sad
Sorry for that.
i guess its all about WAF ( Wife Acceptance Factor ), so the remote sould be responsive and not waiting for a couple of minutes after starting up.
Get my drift ? :-)
Thx for considering
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Consilium B: XBMC remote (unofficial remote)1