Solved Random stuttering - high CPU usage (Frodo)
Hey,

Have been getting random stuttering after about 15 minutes of watching a movie or tv show.
Originally i thought it was my wireless network, but it even happens on gigabit lan connection. happens trying to stream from 2 different pcs pver smb, so the problem is definitely on the htpc, im starting to think it may be an add on causing the cpu spikes and causing the stutters although ive only installed aeon nox, iplayer, tvcatchup and youtube, and this is a clean install of windows and xbmc12, with latest bios and drivers.

The stutter in this log happened at: 21:18:02

Log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=35154

will post more logs as i get them incase they have any useful info.

i7-3770T DH61AG 4GB RAM

Pulling my hair out over this so any help will be really appreciated!!!

edit:

seems to be the same as:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=154785

everything has previously been working perfectly, with the exact same set up and settings, only thing i can think of is resetting my amp to factory settings and reconfiguring it from scratch, after seeing this:

i. AVR issue (HDMI only)

Modern AVR with HDMI will usually support CEC (different manufactures have their own names for this) and the option to pass audio onto the HDMI out of the AVR, both of these can cause issues if enabled. If the of Sound - Playback devices in Windows reports the AVR then this should generally be ok, if however it reports the name of the TV then this is indication that something is not right.

Make sure all configuration is done with the AVR on and connected to the PC in order for Windows to properly detect the AVR, if you're not sure on the order things were powered up then reboot Windows while leaving Windows.

For Onkyo:

In Hardware Setup -> HDMI
Audio TV Out - Off
HDMI Control (RIHD) - Off
Power Control - Off
TV Control - Off

although the pc displays the amp name, so cant see why this would be the cause.

EDIT: So the amp settings seemed to be the fix, turning off HDMI Control (RIHD)
(2013-02-12, 23:29)ears1991 Wrote: Modern AVR with HDMI will usually support CEC (different manufactures have their own names for this) and the option to pass audio onto the HDMI out of the AVR, both of these can cause issues if enabled.

For Onkyo:

Audio TV Out - Off
Power Control - Off
TV Control - Off

You must not having all the right gears. Your AVR, HDTV and HDMI cable have to support it for it to work right. I have an Intel i7-3770 with HD4000 and Onkyo network AVR as you, and the option is turned on. It works great so far. I searched for this modern option before I bought AVR, HDTV and HDMI cable, and it better work. If it doesn't work right, I prepared to return it for a cheaper model without the option. My kids enjoys this option, because they can simply turn on HDTV&AVR with a single click on HDTV remote power button. AVR volume is preset to their preference level at startup too. I'm planning to add this "CEC adaptor" to complete the system.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2013-02-13, 16:56)bluray Wrote:
(2013-02-12, 23:29)ears1991 Wrote: Modern AVR with HDMI will usually support CEC (different manufactures have their own names for this) and the option to pass audio onto the HDMI out of the AVR, both of these can cause issues if enabled.

For Onkyo:

Audio TV Out - Off
Power Control - Off
TV Control - Off

You must not having all the right gears. Your AVR, HDTV and HDMI cable have to support it for it to work right. I have an Intel i7-3770 with HD4000 and Onkyo network AVR as you, and the option is turned on. It works great so far. I searched for this modern option before I bought AVR, HDTV and HDMI cable, and it better work. If it doesn't work right, I prepared to return it for a cheaper model without the option. My kids enjoys this option, because they can simply turn on HDTV&AVR with a single click on HDTV remote power button. AVR volume is preset to their preference level at startup too. I'm planning to add this "CEC adaptor" to complete the system.....

I'm not really that fussed now that its fixed, i never used that feature anyway as my TV doesnt support CEC, and my Onkyo isnt a networked one like yours. Very strange though as I have had it working with that setting on for a long time!

I considered the CEC adapter, its a cool idea, however i imagine its not going to support many of the xbmc commands using the tv remote, only basic ones, so i went for CIR, which lets me turn the htpc on from S5 with the remote, I could get a harmony which would give me similar 1 click power on to you Smile

also, 77W CPU for HTPC... nice Tongue
thought mine was overkill!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Random stuttering - high CPU usage (Frodo)0