Two Old PCs - Which is Better?
Hello. I just recently stumbled upon XBMC and I am pumped up. I have two older PCs just laying around and I would like to turn one into a HTPC.

Here is what I have:

Gateway GT5672E
MB: ECS 945GCT-M3
CPU: Intel E2140
Graphics: GeForce 8400 GS DDR2 PCIe 2.0
Ram: 1GB (expandable to 2)

Compaq Presario CQ5205Y
MB: Pegatron M2N68-LA (Narra5)
CPU: AMD Sempron LE-1300
Graphics: 6150SE 430
Ram: 2GB (expandable to 4)

Of the two above, which is the best candidate? My one concern with the AMD is that it is not a dual core. I also don't mind throwing in a few bucks if worth the upgrade. I can also take out the video card from the Gateway and use it in the Compaq if it is a better option.

Thanks in advance for your help. I look forward to some input.
Try the 1st one. Try openelec -its real lightweight and I'm sure that card supports vdpau so it will play 1080p blurays no problem.
Cool. Should I upgrade the OS?
if anything put win7 on it from the other pc and ditch vista. But with old hardware like yours I suggest you try OpenELEC. - its a minimal linux os thats designed to run xbmc and in my experience it does it well and requires minimal setting up. You can install it onto a usb drive so if you dont like it its easy to go back to windows.
Definately try openelec off a flash drive first. IIRC the first couple revisions of the 8400 cards only support OpenGL 1.3 so XBMC won't work on them. Newer cards with the same chipset (still 6 or 7 years old now) support 1.4 or better so XBMC works.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Two Old PCs - Which is Better?0