Solved [Linux] No pass through audio with CK804
I have a fresh installed XBMCBuntu (Frodo) system, But I don't have digital pass through to my receiver. The onboard chip is a Realtek ALC850 (CK804). In the previous version (Eden) I had to use this custom device "surround51:CARD=CK804,DEV=0". Is there a way to use this in Frodo as a custom device? Or a asound.conf setting te redirect to "surround51:CARD=CK804,DEV=0"?
can I emphasize this, I have the exact same problem after just upgrading to froddo. It worked perfectly using the above settings, but now the option is gone.
Make an asound.conf file defining default audio device as the device you want to direct sound to.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yes I have being trying to, I am so far that I can select default by "Audio Output Device" but not by "Passthrough Output Device". When using asound.conf what Output must be selected "Analog, digital or hdmi"?
You can't pass digital audio through to that device I don't think.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yes it can, but I have now created a asound.conf witch can be selected in both devices

Code:
pcm.iec958_dmixer {
        type dmix
        ipc_key 1024
        ipc_key_add_uid false
        ipc_perm 0660
        slave {
                pcm "hw:1,0"
        }
}

Tomorrow morning I can test the asound.conf. TV is in use now. Sad
I meant the surround51 device - that is the device that outputs analogue audio to the speaker connects at the back of the pc. Looks like you have it sorted.
It is strange, but in the old version of XBMC "surround51:CARD=CK804,DEV=0" was use for passthrough! AC3 and DTS was showing up on my receiver display.
I hope the new config will work. tomorrow I know!
I have to say I find much (probably all) of alsa extremely confusing, but this seems to say surround51 is analog out:

http://alsa-project.org/main/index.php/D...surround51

Ahh well you have it working, so no need to worry too much Smile
Eureka! The script is working. Ac3 and DTS passthrough is working perfectly. now we can enjoy the movie again!
so to get this card working you just made an asound.conf containing just what you posted earlier?

I downgraded my xbmc after this post got no hits, ill give it a go tonight.
Just upgraded, added /etc/asound.conf but no change. I can still only select the same options as before the file, and still no DTS or dolby output. any ideas?

edit: asound.conf seems to make no difference to what XBMC shows. how can I add a sound card to xbmc?
(2013-02-16, 14:52)raovq Wrote: so to get this card working you just made an asound.conf containing just what you posted earlier?

I downgraded my xbmc after this post got no hits, ill give it a go tonight.

(2013-02-16, 15:16)raovq Wrote: Just upgraded, added /etc/asound.conf but no change. I can still only select the same options as before the file, and still no DTS or dolby output. any ideas?

edit: asound.conf seems to make no difference to what XBMC shows. how can I add a sound card to xbmc?

I have notice that when the <resample>48000</resample> is use in the advancedsettings.xml the new device cant be selected! check if you are using it and comment them out.

If it is right this device will show up as: "NVidia CK804, NVidia CK804 S/PDIF" Notice the wrong one is "NVidia CK804, NVidia CK804 - IEC958 S/PDIF"

After selection in the guisettings.xml will show this.

Code:
<audiooutput>
   <audiodevice>ALSA:iec958_dmixer</audiodevice>
   <passthroughdevice>ALSA:iec958_dmixer</passthroughdevice>
</audiooutput>
This code work with multi audio cards and optimized of the CK804

/etc/asound.conf
Code:
pcm.iec958_dmixer {
        type dmix
        ipc_key 1024
        ipc_key_add_uid false
        ipc_perm 0660
        slave {
                pcm "hw:CK804"
                rate 48000
                period_time 0
                period_size 1024
                buffer_size 32768
        }
}

Select "NVidia CK804, NVidia CK804 S/PDIF" in XBMC by both devices
lucky yours was a simple fix. still tearing my hair out.
with the custom option removed, my video plays at 2x speed if i tick dts/digital passthrough (i've a c-media usb sound card).
this was so simple on prev versions...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux] No pass through audio with CK8040