HTPC-OpenElec-Build
Thanks again for all the help. Updated final build list below so new users can reference. Pics on page 4.

Original post: I am wanting to build an HTPC that will be my media center. I currently use a couple boxee boxes, but really want to get into XBMC. I want to build an HTPC that is fast enough to run OpenElec XBMC and play my media library that is currently being shared to my boxees via SMB. All media consists of 720P and 1080P, avg bitrate between 0-10MB. Below is the build I have started through NewEgg. No parts ordered yet. Wanted to get some advice from the experts on this forum and see if I am missing parts. Money is not an issue, however I don't want to go overboard with the build. I just want a smooth, no lag, high speed media center. Below are the current parts. I have never built a computer before, so the only part I was unsure about was the SSD drive. I could not tell if it was compatible with the motherboard. I also didn't know if the power supply included with the case was enough. I am also open to pre-built all-in-ones, like Zotac or Pivos, just don't know to much about them. Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Final build list. Cooler used was the big shuriken 2. Pics of build on page 4!

IMO killer CPU, killer RAM. You don't need more then 2GB and a Dual Core CPU (maybe even a single core will do) as long as it supports video hardware decoding.

Read this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94199

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
If you are running OpenElec (i.e. a Linux-based OS) then an AMD graphics solution won't let you bitstream HD Audio (that's only available in Windows with AMD graphics solutions).

This might not be an issue for you - but worth knowing. I haven't built an AMD-based HTPC since an AMD 4450e + AMD 780G motherboard (with on-board Radeon HD 3200 gfx) about 5 years go - which was my first HD capable HTPC (though it only did PCM 2.0/DD/DTS via HDMI ISTR, and the de-interlacing performance was average).

All my HTPCs since have been Intel + nVidia solutions. nVidia is definitely the most Linux-friendly GPU still - and the best performing for HD Audio bitstreaming and de-interlacing performance IMO.

These issues may not be relevant for you though. If you don't need HD Audio bitstreamed, and don't watch interlaced material, then I suspect the AMD solution will be a good one for you? AMD CPUs do draw quite a lot more power for a given performance level AIUI - and power = cooling = noise - so that might be an issue as well?
(2013-02-13, 19:58)noggin Wrote: If you are running OpenElec (i.e. a Linux-based OS) then an AMD graphics solution won't let you bitstream HD Audio (that's only available in Windows with AMD graphics solutions).

So I just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly, if I go with a Windows build with the same set up then I should not have any problems with HD audio, is that correct?
(2013-02-13, 20:19)JxPx Wrote:
(2013-02-13, 19:58)noggin Wrote: If you are running OpenElec (i.e. a Linux-based OS) then an AMD graphics solution won't let you bitstream HD Audio (that's only available in Windows with AMD graphics solutions).

So I just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly, if I go with a Windows build with the same set up then I should not have any problems with HD audio, is that correct?

That is my understanding. The AMD/ATI drivers are limited to PCM 2.0/DD/DTS in Linux - no multichannel PCM or HD Audio bitstreaming. However in Windows they are fully supported (even the humble E350 CPU+GPU combo will do HD Audio in Windows)

It's really annoying...
@noggin thx for the helpful advice. So now I need to read up on other builds in this forum.... So many.. From my build above, would that SSD be compatible? I was unable to tell on the motherboard specs. Also The reason why I wanted to go with open elec was because It seemed everything would run smoother because no OS running in background, however with this higher-end build if I run windows with XBMC, even with the high graphic demanding skins like AeonNOX it should run pretty smooth right? Or am I way off on this.... I hate being a newb..lol
(2013-02-13, 21:00)JxPx Wrote: @noggin thx for the helpful advice. So now I need to read up on other builds in this forum.... So many.. From my build above, would that SSD be compatible? I was unable to tell on the motherboard specs.
Not an SSD expert - but don't see why it wouldn't be. My builds are still using standard 3.5/2.5" HDs (Windows and Linux) and a USB stick (OpenElec)

Quote:Also The reason why I wanted to go with open elec was because It seemed everything would run smoother because no OS running in background, however with this higher-end build if I run windows with XBMC, even with the high graphic demanding skins like AeonNOX it should run pretty smooth right? Or am I way off on this.... I hate being a newb..lol

Sorry - can't really advise on AMD builds - as I said - have been Intel+nVidia for years now. I'm also not hugely into skins - I'm not that fussed about the UI, as long as I can find the movie I want to watch and watch it with decent sound and picture quality I'm happy!

I'm looking to build a new XBMC set-up sometime soon - will probably be an Intel CPU (Ivy Bridge Core i3 or possibly an Ivy Bridge Pentium with a separate nVidia GPU - possibly just re-using an nVidia 430)
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=155044

That thread has a recommendation for a motherboard that works well with openelec.
(2013-02-13, 20:19)JxPx Wrote: So I just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly, if I go with a Windows build with the same set up then I should not have any problems with HD audio, is that correct?

Correct. The A10 APU will have no problems bitstreaming HD audio using Windows.

I would be concerned with heat in the case you chose. The quad core 100W A10 will generate a lot of heat. I would say an aftermarket CPU cooler is a must with this build.

Are you planning any gaming or video encoding, or is this just for playing video? If it's just for video playback you can get by with less CPU power and be just fine.

With regards to SSD compatibility, you will be fine with your choice of motherboard.
(2013-02-14, 05:46)YOUNG13 Wrote:
(2013-02-13, 20:19)JxPx Wrote: So I just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly, if I go with a Windows build with the same set up then I should not have any problems with HD audio, is that correct?

Correct. The A10 APU will have no problems bitstreaming HD audio using Windows.

I would be concerned with heat in the case you chose. The quad core 100W A10 will generate a lot of heat. I would say an aftermarket CPU cooler is a must with this build.

Are you planning any gaming or video encoding, or is this just for playing video? If it's just for video playback you can get by with less CPU power and be just fine.

With regards to SSD compatibility, you will be fine with your choice of motherboard.

Thanks for the advice Young.

Okay below is my current build through NewEgg. I think I have everything covered here. Changed up almost everything minus the CPU. Want to have the option for light gaming, but nothing to extreme. Please let me know if I'm missing something or if something seems wrong. Want to be 100% confident before I drop the cash. Thanks again for everyone who is chiming in here. I really appreciate the advice.

I'm not sure if you' e already considered it, you can get a pre-built nettop such as a Zotac or Foxconn that will run Openelec like a champ. Just drop in an SSD and 2-4gb of ram and you will be good to go.
(2013-02-14, 06:29)cpmiller22 Wrote: I'm not sure if you' e already considered it, you can get a pre-built nettop such as a Zotac or Foxconn that will run Openelec like a champ. Just drop in an SSD and 2-4gb of ram and you will be good to go.

I have been looking at pre-builds and I think I would rather spend the extra cash and get parts I want. I almost picked up a zbox ID42, but after memory and SSD I was at around 430 bucks. Seemed steep for that little box. This build will cost me 200 more and it's 10 times better, just not as compact. Also probably going to go with windows based since I need HD audio.

Also looking at remotes, the ASRock smart remote looked nice. Anyone have exp with it?
I think what everyone is trying to tell you is this is absolute overkill for OpenELEC for watching 720p and 1080p videos Smile.
(2013-02-14, 06:49)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I think what everyone is trying to tell you is this is absolute overkill for OpenELEC for watching 720p and 1080p videos Smile.

I understand that it is overkill for openelec, as I said previously I am going with a windows build instead and also decided I wanted it to handle some light gaming too!

@dougie, judging by your sig, you look like a case expert. Does the case I chose fit this build or could I possibly go smaller?
I don't believe the CPU cooler you have will fit in the case. You need a low profile fan to fit that case. I would go with a Scythe Big Shuriken:

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/scythe-scbsk...62850.html

Also, you will need low profile memory to fit under the cooler such as:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820148560

I'm suggesting these since I have both with an ASRock FM1 mb and both have performed flawlessly.

This would be my suggestion for components to run with Windows:

Along with the two items above, keep the CPU, motherboard, SSD, case, and thermal compound you have chosen. Drop the 3 fans and get an 80mm replacement for the case fan such as:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6835608006

The stock fan in the case may be loud? I don't know.

With that you will have an HTPC that will bitstream HD audio, play 3D movies (if needed), be able to play full bitrate bluray rips, and play most games at higher settings.

I was going to suggest looking at some of Dougie's barebones systems as well if you want a pre-built solution. His AMD systems are comparable to what you have chosen.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC-OpenElec-Build1