svn md5
So i made a svn and i got to the point of making the md5.

Wiki says:
Quote:Put addons_xml_generator.py in the folder with all your add-ons (in source code, not zip files) and run it from your Python interpreter.

But the files i see in other skin repos are zip files. So was the md5 made before they were zipped?
Or do i ignore and just get md5 from the addon.xml? Or am i missing something?

-edit-
Spelling (meant addon.xml not addons.xml)
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
Just get the md5 from the addons.xml.
Tell me what should be more clearer on that page (note: i've never created a repo).
You may also edit the page yourself to make it more clear ofcourse Smile
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I think it's correct how it is in the repo... the addons_xml_generator.py creates both, the addons.xml and the md5 hash. For that you have to put it in a folder with all unzipped add-ons.

So e.g.

folder
-- addon1 (unzipped)
-- addon2 (unzipped)
-- addon3 (unzipped)
-- addons_xml_generator.py

For more informations how the structure looks with zipped files, look here.
All i can say is that autoupdates are not working in my repo, it must have something to do with the MD5 file.

This is the directory structure i came up with after reading the wiki

And you are recreating addons.xml and MD5 every time you release a new version?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

(2013-02-14, 13:29)Martijn Wrote: Tell me what should be more clearer on that page.

Couple of things i ran into doing this for the first time.
Let me paint you the picture:

I already had made a Google project page to just host a zip. But that was all i knew.
Next installed Tortoisesvn on Windows. Figured out it was a shell (something i had used 1x before).
Tortoise didn't prompt me for credentials because of a wrong link or setup (Google had no solution).

I had checked other repo files and tested this type of link in my browser on my own account.
The link did show up in browser with branches and trunk ect (but unusable folders will show up).
But turns out when i made my Google project page i had set it to git and not svn.
This is under: Administer -> source
And the right link is now under: Source -> checkout

After figuring that out i had to remake the folder on my computer a few more times until it asked for credentials and made the file structure.
As Checkout and not with 'Make repo here' function.
Checked other repos for deeper file structure.
Figured out you have to use 'add' function before 'commit' and how that is a good thing.
Uploaded text.txt with success.
Learned that it is basically dropbox with full control.

Grabbed someones repo file and changed the links and names to fit mine.
Added skin in zip with icon + changelog and extra addon.xml outside of zip.

Next problem: Learned that python doesn't run on Windows out of the box.
Downloaded latest version of python.msi and installed (after spending too much time reading into it too deep)
.py files associated themselves with python.exe
Ran md5 script in the folder above the skin folders containing the skin zips (trial by error).
Checked. Looked good. Uploaded everything.

So those 5 bullets on the wiki assume you have substantial prior knowledge.
It was doable, but instead of costing 10 hours it would have only had to cost 1 hour.
So i am all for making the explanation a bit better. But how program, OS, or host specific can it be?
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
(2013-02-15, 01:31)pecinko Wrote: And you are recreating addons.xml and MD5 every time you release a new version?

Yes. But now that you mention it i've never checked if it actually overwrites the old files. I have not removed them manually before running the Python script. Blush

Sorry, this is borderline threadjacking but since these things are rarely discussed i thought i'll squeeze in.
(2013-02-15, 02:12)MassIV Wrote: So those 5 bullets on the wiki assume you have substantial prior knowledge.
It was doable, but instead of costing 10 hours it would have only had to cost 1 hour.
So i am all for making the explanation a bit better. But how program, OS, or host specific can it be?

Definitely OS specific to get started.
If like on windows you need to install something first to get python running it should mention that.
I don't have python running on my windows pc because i run every addon from xbmc itself so i haven't bothered/needed python install.
(2013-02-15, 07:59)toiva Wrote: Sorry, this is borderline threadjacking but since these things are rarely discussed i thought i'll squeeze in.

Don't worry, i have my answer. And i plan to run into your problems next week Big Grin
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
(2013-02-15, 10:22)Martijn Wrote: Definitely OS specific to get started.
If like on windows you need to install something first to get python running it should mention that.
I don't have python running on my windows pc because i run every addon from xbmc itself so i haven't bothered/needed python install.
Would you excuse my Wiki skills and have a look at the changes i made:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...or_add-ons
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
(2013-02-15, 11:30)MassIV Wrote:
(2013-02-15, 10:22)Martijn Wrote: Definitely OS specific to get started.
Would you excuse my Wiki skills and have a look at the changes i made:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...or_add-ons

Just get the basic text on there and we will prettify it afterwards Wink
Done.
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
svn md50