• 6(current)
What are the reasons you don't submit your addon to official repo?
(2013-12-02, 04:39)membrane Wrote: The main reason why I don't submit my addons is the quality of my code. Most of my addons contain snippets from my first steps in python. Even two years later the code quality of my late night sessions ist far from good. Coupled with badly programmed websites this produces a nasty (but mostly working) mess.

However, I have 4 addons almost ready to be submitted. They need a bit of cleanup first though (hardcoded strings, small bits of messy code). They also lack of proper descriptions, thumnails and a fanart.

if you need any help on certain code part feel free to post in the python dev section and i'm sure others are glad to give you some pointers what to change improve.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I'm very happy to have submitted my addon to official repo. I gained access at transifex translation, I can use translation download tool, I have a bigger visibility, and now some user already opened new enhancements request to my github project, and this is great !

And, more important, now my addon will auto-update regularry !

Without user must install nothing else than xbmc itself !

Another benefit: some other developer can one day use call to my plugin to do more complex thigs, so, if my addon is in the offcial repo, the requirements are automatically resolver, my addon, if required, will be auto installed. and this is great. I evidence this because i'm using common plugin cache, and if this was NOT in the official repo, my addon could not be so great like it's now !

So, please, cleanup your code, translate your strings, and help us all to make xbmc even better !
I'd love to put my (shitty) addons in the repository, but my main reason is the method of getting them in there is very antiquated and not very easy. I mean, a mailing list? Why can't it be done through a web form?

Unless there's something I'm missing?

I've never used a mailing list though, but I've found it very hard to follow/understand. Is there special software that can lay out the conversations in a threaded format like a forum?
What do you mean? You simply email this info to the email address:

Code:
*addon - plugin.name.here
*version - 0.9.1
*url - git://github.com/you/plugin.name.here
*revision - e7d3942cd4ed28822d1632c64b0e69d21bd4dc71
*branch - master
*xbmc version - gotham

Whats so hard about email? The XBMC guys do all the real work of getting the addon in to the repo.
Don't forget to subscribe first to the mailing list and confirm that the email that is send.

The reason there's no webform is simply lack of time.
Yes, I agree on this point. ML is a lack of time when 99% of email is about software not ours, and 99% of time there is no messages of "public use".

You can simple add a SINGLE THREAD to this forum where developer can ask for git pull/zip pull etc... The advantage is that you (or me) could also keep updated the first topic with instruction, faq, tips, example of refused addon, etc...
that won't work as anyone starts spamming that thread.
i will prefer the ML above using forum threads any time.
I still dont get the objection.

99% of the messages are not about your software. So what? An email string regarding your addon always starts with you sending an email. Put the name of your addon in the title (as you should be doing anyway). Create a rule in your inbox that moves the mailing list emails to a different folder, and create another rule to have the ones with your addon in the title moved to another different folder.

People will write a thousand lines of code, but balk at sending a seven line email?
ok ok ok ... please, ... it's don't a problem itself ...
(2013-12-05, 08:01)Martijn Wrote: The reason there's no webform is simply lack of time.

I'd be willing to take this on as a project, or at least look at it. If there's someone in particular to who I should talk, let me know. Or have them DM me.
Few reasons:

a) I thought the xbmc.org repo was for the addons developed by the xbmc team and not for any dev to use/submit stuff.
b) There isn't a straight forward method to submit/update the addon.
c) The addon I've shared here was my first addon and so, it needs to be re-written to have enough quality to be included in the official repo.

I'm thinking about re-writing the addon (RTP Play) which has only had 5 updates in one year. It is quite stable but the quality of the code is far from the best. I'll do it during Christmas.

A suggestion/question:
Please provide some module for addon statistics. I don't want to have google analitics being called inside the addon. I've no reason to know what pattern people follow when entering the addon nor in which country they live in. I just want a simple way to know how many people is using it.
If xbmc itself had some statistics module for addons it would be really usefull.

Cheers
(2013-12-07, 20:50)pkscuot Wrote:
(2013-12-05, 08:01)Martijn Wrote: The reason there's no webform is simply lack of time.

I'd be willing to take this on as a project, or at least look at it. If there's someone in particular to who I should talk, let me know. Or have them DM me.

The problem is actually finding a nice process for submitting add-ons that fits with our current system of using github.

I'm still not quite sure the best way forward, but we are certainly looking at.

The target would be to make the submission process as simple as possible but also keep the code review, feedback and moderation capabilities of the current system.
Seems since the Add-on website went live, lots of people are starting to submit new Add-ons Smile

We broke 500 Add-ons recently and its going up fast!

We will continue to look at the process of submission to make it easier for authors in the future.
(2013-12-12, 13:12)zag Wrote: We will continue to look at the process of submission to make it easier for authors in the future.

before you go anywhere near there please clean up the wiki pages first
(2013-12-13, 21:16)Martijn Wrote: before you go anywhere near there please clean up the wiki pages first

Hopefully made some progress on this:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Submitting_Add-ons
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on_Rules
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on_Standards

Martijn, could you check it over and make any changes that you think Add-on Developers will need to know before submission?

I tried to make the Wiki docs as easy to follow as possible.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What are the reasons you don't submit your addon to official repo?1