Cheapest XBMC 1080p Capable Device Not Named Raspberry Pi
sure, sure Smile
(2013-02-16, 03:19)PobjoySpecial Wrote: You are right in terms of hardware, but not user experience. From what I've seen, the Pivos is either at par or has a negligible lead. It is nearly twice as expensive, but nowhere near twice as fast. The ATV2 is slower and nearly three times as expensive.

They also do not come with a power supply, case, or a remote - all things the Pivos box has. You can power a Pi via USB of course assuming your TV has one and doesn't freak. The Pivos is a complete system, my jaw dropped when I opened mine and found it even had an HDMI cable inside the box! You might need an SD card but I'm betting the Pi does as well.

Mind you I'm not dumping on the Pi I just don't think that when you compare the two that you've got the complete picture. Compare apples to apples here.
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
(2013-02-16, 03:19)PobjoySpecial Wrote:
(2013-02-15, 22:57)Ned Scott Wrote: They're not desktop fast, but both ATV2 and Pivos are much faster than the R-Pi Tongue

I disagree.

You are right in terms of hardware, but not user experience. From what I've seen, the Pivos is either at par or has a negligible lead. It is nearly twice as expensive, but nowhere near twice as fast. The ATV2 is slower and nearly three times as expensive.

I'll disagree as well, owning the pivos as well as 2 raspberry pi's i can say without a doubt the pivos is faster and more powerful. The raspberry pi cannot play back 1080p media over HTTPS, it constantly buffers (at least not stock, i'm not willing to overclock). The pivos handles that job just fine all day long, and continues to get better all around with each release. With that said any real X86 hardware blows them both out of the water.
I had the pi for a few months and it is a great bedroom htpc but not for a main htpc. I ended up building my own htpc. However i never had any seriouses issues with pi at all. All movies played perfectly fine and is great because you can just velcro to the back of the tv and power off the usb on the tv. I love the pi for how simple it is i just use it in my bedroom now as i dont use as much as a main htpc.
(2013-02-17, 01:47)PobjoySpecial Wrote: Two times the price, two times the value? If the Pi didn't meet my needs, moving up to a mobile Celeron seems like the next sweet-spot. In my opinion, of course. Smile

I used the Pi (with some success) while I built the i3-3225 HTPC. I imagine it would have been ok to use as a bedroom htpc, but as a main HTPC that complete newbies are trying to use daily.... it fails IMO. I can't imagine the number of complaints I would have had if the Pi would've stayed (and the headache getting it to work consistently). If it was my personal device and I wasn't trying to appease 5+ people then I would have been cool with it.

So I'm trying to build/buy the cheapest client with the most stable user experience. It seems that a celeron build is probably the way to go (out of XBMC clients anyway). Still debating between Plex/Roku and XBMC though since I have Plex media server running 24/7 anyway. Might be a revolt if Airplay goes away though.
(2013-02-15, 22:57)Ned Scott Wrote: They're not desktop fast, but both ATV2 and Pivos are much faster than the R-Pi Tongue

I disagree.

You are right in terms of hardware, but not user experience. From what I've seen, the Pivos is either at par or has a negligible lead. It is nearly twice as expensive, but nowhere near twice as fast. The ATV2 is slower and nearly three times as expensive.

I own all three, and as much as I love the Pi and find that it has more than acceptable performance, the Pivos and ATV2 are much faster, especially on more feature rich views and skins.
@PobjoySpecial, self portrat ?
(2013-02-17, 06:39)Ned Scott Wrote:

I disagree.

I own all three, and as much as I love the Pi and find that it has more than acceptable performance, the Pivos and ATV2 are much faster, especially on more feature rich views and skins.
How well does the pivos handle other skins like metropolis compared to confluence?
How does the g-box midnight compare to the Pivos?
(2013-02-17, 18:20)Sdpbc Wrote: How does the g-box midnight compare to the Pivos?

Pivos easily out performs the g-box and has far less issues than the g-box
I've honesty not tried other skins, Confluence is the one I've been using for years. If I have a chance I'll try Metropolis, anything in particular you're looking for?
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheapest XBMC 1080p Capable Device Not Named Raspberry Pi0