Cheapest XBMC 1080p Capable Device Not Named Raspberry Pi
I presume Aeon is too heavy for pivos?
Thumbs Up 
The Pivos XIOS with the latest Linux XBMC image from the end of January 2013 is a really solid, really cheap XBMC solution!

I've been an XBMC fan from the modded Xbox days and I've played with many iterations of XBMC on many different hardware options.

The XIOS is extremely small, cheap, and the support Pivos has given the XBMC community should be supported.

The XIOS is an out of the box XBMC solution that includes an IR remote and the only thing I can think of that's missing is a MicroSD card required for upgrading the firmware image.

I've recently tried the latest RPi (512MB) over running both OpenElec and Rasbmc, overclocked to the max, and running dual SD + USB stick.

Openelec is painfully sluggish. Steer clear, at least for now.

Raspbmc is a much more polished experience, bearable at a pinch. Unfortunately, its current implementation of XBMC is not up to the standard you would expect if you've come from even the Xbox build. In particular, it only supports a handful of codecs, though you can extend that set by paying a few dollars to licence them.

In my short trial it happily played 1080p, but failed to render any WMV or MPG. Worse for me, is its cumbersome seeking. Every time you hit the skip button you have to wait a second or two for the video to catch up. It's probably better than what comes with most TVs these days or a piece of shit like the WTV Live, but I would not recommend it as your main media unit. In fact, if you can live without HD I'd rather an Xbox. And that's not saying a lot.

Thankfully, I also have a Revo 3700 (Atom ION2). No real complaints there. Whisper quiet. Handles everything you throw at it with aplomb. What's not to love?
I have been running XBMC for 10 years now on almost every piece of hardware possible... and I have to say that the 3.0 version of Openelec, that was released a few days ago, running on the latest revision of RPi is really strong. I have only modestly overclocked to 800mhz and it runs great, Streams 1080p over wired network flawlessly. Paid a few bucks for the WMV and Mpeg2 licenses and haven't found anything that I can't play yet. Paired with an xbox dvd remote and a high amperage usb hub, I have less than $80 in it.
@bh1644 Paid a few bucks for the WMV and Mpeg2 licenses ? I don't get it..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheapest XBMC 1080p Capable Device Not Named Raspberry Pi0