Req Ability to FIX (audio) output device
Dear XBMC Gurus -
first of all: thanks for what you've don! This is honest and I may live with the gift which you made us.

I'm using the XBMC PC with an AV Receiver plus a high quality TV (under Windows 7-64x) - linked through HDMI.
After having created a customized monitor.inf, I had no more problem with the Video.
BUT the Audio.

Starting XBMC selects the currently available audio output as its default. Although it was manually selected - in my case: "WASAPI: HDMI 'device name'"

When the AVR is in stand-by, it selects "DirectSound: HDM 'device name'" as its output - and that's already the best case after deactivating all other deviced manually. But DirectSound is just Stereo.
When AVR is switched OFF completely, I can't select any output device under System / Audio, it just says "Error - blahblah" as selected device.

I'd like to request that this "pseudo-intelligence" of XBMC is being able to be switched off. If I select a device, I want to have it used - whether present or not. I then won't hear anything, if it's not present, my problem, if I don't select "default".

It needn't be a problem, no matter in which order I switch on
- TV
- AVR
- PC
- or start XBMC

I'm surely not the only one... see thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=156378 for more details

Thank you in advance for caring - Chris
"One must still have chaos within oneself, to give birth to a dancing star." (F. Nietzsche)
Agreed. This a problem also happens when resuming from sleep and exiting XBMC and relaunching will fix the issue.
***update*** only brings back stereo sound ****
(2013-02-16, 22:48)2tonesp Wrote: Agreed. This a problem also happens when resuming from sleep and exiting XBMC and relaunching will fix the issue.

+1
+1
Should add that when it comes back from sleep windows loses the surround config settings. You must run the wizard again to get 5.1 or higher than stereo. If not XBMC will stutter on those files that aren't stereo. So quitting and restarting XBMC will only get you stereo sound!
audio issues are being addressed in the upcoming bugfix release.
I'm having trouble too with XBMC not using my selected output device (WASAPI:HDMI) from time to time

+1
I also am using an AVR and sleep my HTPC. I get this issue periodically too, definitely related to order of things being powered on. restarting XBMC usually fixes this, but sometimes a reboot is required. Would be nice to look both the audio output, as well as the video output. This also changes, due to desktop scaling on my HTPC (I need to scale due to having a DLP with overscan).
Was this fixed?

Seems to be happening to me too.. and this is a bug that is not apparent to the wife. Need 100% wife approval factor for this to be an option. Is there a workaround?
I am having the same issues (Windows 8.1, AVR connected to HTPC). WASAPI is switched to DirectSound automatically from time to time and I have to go to system / hardware and choose WASAPI. Any way to force WASAPI always?
It seems to be an EDID problem between the HTPC and the AVR (at least in my case). I was having the exact same issue: XBMC would switch back from WASAPI to DirectSound upon wake up, and sometimes the resolution would get messed up as well. What fixed it for me? The Gefen HDMI Detective (look it up on Amazon). It's a bit pricey, and the documentation could do with some improvements, but once I got it right it works like a charm. I've been using it since mid December 2013 and haven't had this issue ever since (it used to happen pretty much all the time).

I'm using a Win 7 HTPC, Yamaha receiver, and a Samsung TV.
+1 same problem here
Hello,

I would like to fix the audio output device too.

My HTPC (OpenELEC) is connected to the TV via HDMI and to the amplifier via analog (RCA/jack).

I want the sound to always come from the amplifier and never from the TV.

Sometimes, the sound comes from the TV instead of the amplifier. I have to go to the settings to select analog until the next random switch.

From guisettings.xml :
<audiodevice>ALSA:@:CARD=Generic_1,DEV=0</audiodevice> -> analog, I want to fix this setting
<audiodevice>ALSA:hdmi:CARD=Generic,DEV=0</audiodevice> -> hdmi

Since I am using OpenELEC, I am thinking of running a script at boot to force the audiodevice I want.
I found this http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Autostart.sh but I don't know what to put in the script.

Thanks in advance.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ability to FIX (audio) output device1