OS X Poster/Fanart refresh a lot slower using NFS and a lot faster using SMB
In Frodo, from what I understand the posters and fanart are cached locally. I would think that the amount of time it takes to refresh the posters and fanart would be same whether SMB or NFS was being used. What I found was when I use NFS, the poster and fanart refresh seems to be very slow. However, when I switch to using SMB, the posters and fanart refresh pretty quick. It makes no difference if I use my 3.4 GHz Quad core iMac or my 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro, the poster and fanart refresh is always slower when I use NFS. I have tested the speed of reading/writing from NFS and SMB and NFS is faster then SMB in write and read tests.

This is a screen recording that shows the speed of the poster and fanart refresh using SMB:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9373055/XBMC/using_smb.mov

Using SMB Debug Log.

This is a screen recording that shows the speed of the poster and fanart refresh using NFS:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9373055/XBMC/using_nfs.mov

Using NFS Debug Log.
Kodi 17, Transparency Skin
PogoPlug v4 running Arm Linux 4.4.63 as MySQL (mariadb) server.
Mac OS 10.12.5
2015 27" iMac 3.3 GHz Quad, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
2015 13" Macbook Pro, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
AppleTV 4 TV OS 10
Anyone else seen this issue? Does not make any sense unless this is related to the NFS client being used in XBMC. XBMC developers, thoughts on this?
Mac OS 10.12.5
AppleTV 4 TV OS 10
Are you using wireless to map NFS?
(2013-04-01, 16:46)aurax Wrote: Are you using wireless to map NFS?

Not sure what you mean by "wireless to map to NFS". My situation is that I have my media stored on external HDs hooked, via USB, to a Arm Linux box which is hardwired hooked to my Airport Extreme basestation. I either use SMB, AFP or NFS on the Linux box. I access the media from the Linux box, using XBMC, over a wireless "N" network.
Mac OS 10.12.5
AppleTV 4 TV OS 10
I wouldn't recommend using NFS over wireless unless you really know how to tune your wireless interfaces and wireless network to meet NFS (which are very demanding) requirements.
(2013-04-02, 13:33)aurax Wrote: I wouldn't recommend using NFS over wireless unless you really know how to tune your wireless interfaces and wireless network to meet NFS (which are very demanding) requirements.

Why would any of that matter since the issue is about the refresh of posters and fanart which is cached locally on the Mac and not being access over the Wi-Fi network on the Linux box.
Mac OS 10.12.5
AppleTV 4 TV OS 10

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Poster/Fanart refresh a lot slower using NFS and a lot faster using SMB0