Linux Snow in video feed
Video 
Dear all,

I hope you can help me (and my friend that uses the same setup. So two for one. Wink )

The setup:
Lenovo T61:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 / 2.2 GHz
Number of Cores: Dual-Core
64-bit Computing: Yes
Front Side Bus: 800.0 MHz
Chipset: Mobile Intel PM965 Express
VGA: Mobile Intel PM965 Express
RAM: 4.0 GB
Technology: DDR2 SDRAM
Speed: 667.0 MHz / PC2-5300
Hard Drive: 120.0 GB HDD / 5400.0 rpm
Interface: Serial ATA-150
Optical Drive: 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+RW/+R) - Removable
Wireless: 802.11a/b/g, Bluetooth
Wireless Controller: Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN - PCI Express
Network Interface: Gigabit Ethernet

Software:
XBMCbuntu v. 12.00

XBMC v.12running on Windows XP SP3

When running XBMCbuntu alomost everything runs smooth and nice. The problem is when playing a video (SD or HD) white specks/dots appear randomly on the video feed. It looks like driving your car at night, with a few snowflakes in the air reflecting the lights from the car.

I have tried to install Windows XP and then run XBMC as a program. That fix the problem, but can no longer run HD movies due to XP is draining resources.

I have also tried to install Ubuntu and run the XBMC as a program. Here I still see the error.

I have done some searching on Google. It looks like the problem is in something called "Meta". Yet I have no idea of how manipulate files nor write commands in Linux.

Can someone help me and my friend? We will be most gratefull.

Alphahelix
I have the exact same issue on a similar hardware : a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop, with Intel Core 2 Duo T5550, integrated Intel graphics card.
I found a simple workaround : modify the rendering method in settings -> video -> playback.
By default it's set to automatic. I've set it to "Basic shaders (ARB)" and the snow disappeared.

The same issue occurs on Eden and Frodo. This workaround worked on both versions for me.

By the way, if you face some very short "pauses" in videos every ~10 seconds, try upgrading the kernel to 3.8.
I installed the kernel from ubuntu Raring (version 3.8.0-7.15), and the videos are now 100% smooth.

Hope this will help you
Thanks for your help Mossroy.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Snow in video feed1