Multiple paths in a bookmark
i know this is the feature many of you have been waiting for. over the last two weeks, i silently added support for this to music as test. once its all sorted out, it can potentially be ported into video and pictures. i've been testing it myself for the time being and fixed a few issues i had introduced. so far, i can say it works as well as any other bookmark type. i even scanned my music thru one of these bookmarks. now, i need a larger community to test it.

it only accepts hard drive, samba, and xbms type paths. any others will be stripped while the configuration is read. it's built on top of the existing directory and file reading classes so all the wierd problems some people have with samba will be present here as well. i recommend using guest access or putting the workgroup and user details in the samba paths. it'll work otherwise, but it may be confusing if you're asked to provide user details for more than one samba path.

since comma is a valid character in samba and xbms, we cannot use comma seperated paths as the path definition. instead, i've added support for multiple paths in the true xml way:
Quote:<bookmark>
<name>music</name>
<path>e:\music</path>
<path>f:\music</path>
<path>smb://someserver/music</path>
<path>xbms://someotherserver:1400/music</path>
</bookmark>
you may have noticed in the changelog that this format is also now supported my programs bookmarks Smile

what it does... it retrieves all the items from each of the defined paths and puts them into a single directory listing. it is a little slower because more than one path needs to be retrieved. and be careful with how many paths you use, and more importanty, how many items in each path. the xbox has limited memory, and will likely have problems if all the paths combined return 20,000 items.

what it does not do... it does not consolidate items that are named the identically into a single item. you can and will have more than one item with the same exact name.

known bugs... sorting doesnt work correctly. when sorting by name (the label of the items), sometimes items which are named identically are not next to each other.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
you ripper!!, at this stage the music section for me is just one path, so ill be better to test this under video section where i can have many samba paths for music clips
you cant its not in video...
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
yes i know, im just waiting for you to add it
for those of you watching this space, here's an update...

after several hours, and lots of debug output, i can say that there is no sorting problem. no, its not fixed, its just not a sorting problem. list view always shows the correct ordering. thumbs view does not. i have to do more debugging.

and i said i'd been using this now for a while without any issues. that was true until last night. last night i was comfortable enough with the multipath bookmark that i removed all my old single path bookmarks which i had combined into the multipath one. this broke the multipath bookmark entirely. i have a fix but didnt commit it yet. it was really late at night, and i need to do some more testing before i commit it. (mostly to make sure that it doesnt break zip and rar support.)

in the meantime, make sure you have a normal bookmark that exactly matches the path of each of the paths in the multipath bookmark.
so it working for my viedeos ?
no. and i'll repeat myself. it's only in music for now, as a test.

great work kraqh3d! :bowdown:

ill make sure to test it out for music to see if i can help with any bugs

jc
i've been using this bookmark type exclusively now for music, and the sorting problem is really frustrating me. and i was totally wrong about listview being ok. the listview sometimes shows items in the wrong order too. i've confirmed that the sorting is definately using the item label, and not the path or anything else. i just dont get it.
kraqh3d,
any thoughts on when you will port this to videos and photos?

i'd say do it... maybe you'll figure out the sorting issue along the way.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
soon... probably in another week or two.

the sorting problem is a bit of an annoyance but that's all it is. i'm most concerned about the other code changes to the music files window to in order to support the multipath bookmarks. this code is used regardless of if you are using multipath bookmarks or not. a couple of the bugs turned up which i corrected. i want it to bake in for a little bit longer before i retrofit the other windows.

when i do, i plan on doing pictures first since its the most basic media window. (i really should've introduced it here, but i was very familiar with its music's interworkings, and i personally had a need for it in the music window.)

video will come later. i forsee some challenges because of how stacking works. i need to take a careful look at that first.
(kraqh3d @ oct. 28 2005,15:34 Wrote:video will come later.  i forsee some challenges because of how stacking works.  i need to take a careful look at that first.
video is actually the one i want the most... i have videos split between xbox and server.

suggestions on stacking...

maybe have it read all the paths first, compile the list, then run it through the stacking filter.

or

only have it stack on a per path basis.

i cannot think of why anyone would split the same video pairs between paths... just does not make sense.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
stacking is applied after the directory items are fetched. the same would hold true for a multipath bookmark because of how its coded...

i took advantage our ingenious filesystem plug-in system to virtualize the fact that the bookmark has more than one path from the window. it doesnt know, nor does it care. what happens behind the scenes, is when the multipath bookmark is read in, its transformed into a new special path that represents the toplevel virtual path. (this all happens transparent to the user, of course. though i just thought of something that i need to add as a precaution.)

what i need to examine is how the stacking regexps work. i'd like to prevent stacking across paths to prevent incorrect stackings. i need to see if the regexp uses the full path, or just the filename. if it uses the full path, then it shouldnt matter, and it'll work how i want. but if it just uses the filename, then i'd need to make some changes to stacking as well.
any news on this feature ??

peter
not really. the feature exists solely in music and has not changed signifigantly since its first introduction.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multiple paths in a bookmark0