Android Skinning capability for touch-optimized UI on Android
Hello!

I'd like to learn whether XBMC's skinning capabilities are suitable for a product my company develops.
Basically, it will be a Android tablet; therefore we got a touch screen, about 9 inch of screen space and NO remote control.

I've been playing with v12.0 on a Nexus 7 for a while now and all the basic media functions are included (like DLNA etc). So far so good.

However, the skins I installed share a lot of similarities and I wonder whether a skin like we need it is possible to develop. In particular:
  • Instead of a sliding bar for "Music", "Movies" etc, we'd like to display a grid of icons just like in the "Touched" skin. This grid, like an iPad, might be paged and contain a list of Android apps on the second and 3rd page. Is that possible?
  • Is it possible to remove menu items further down? For example, we don't need "Videos/Playlists" and even "Videos/Video Addons" is not needed.
  • Would it be a skin responsibility to add shortcuts to existing source (e.g. the DLNA browser / SD-Card browser) or is this a modification within XBMC code directly?
  • For decorative UI elements and buttons, is it possible to add these and bind animations / on click handlers and some sort of scripting to them? For example, I have 3 buttons "Top Games", "Top Movie Apps", "Top Kids Apps" and on click on one of them 3 more icons appear (fade in/slide in) one by one which on click let me start a App.
  • Is it possible to animate a object along a path?
  • Is it possible to have background animations (imagine a spinning wheel like a car has)?

The idea is that we know our hardware + use cases and XBMC is very generic and loaded with functionality that is not suitable for the product (yet).

So we try to find a way for customers to jump to their contents really fast. Maybe someone could refer me to a skin that's close to what I'm describing?

Thanks for your help & suggestions,
Sebastian

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skinning capability for touch-optimized UI on Android1