Media stubs behauviour change in Frodo
I am using media stubs for my dvds and blurays. I am watching these with PS3 since I do not have any optical player in my media PC. Each stub file includes a message indicating the DVD index number (or other identifier).

- In version 11, when I browsed through my library and wanted to watch a movie which was on a DVD/blueray, I got an message with the defined text in the stub file (addition to the request to insert the disc). In this way I was able to find correct DVD/bluray to be watched on PS3.
- In version 12 (dated 2013-01-28), I will get a message that I do not have the required player in my machine. That is true, XBMC is not showing any more the text to identify the disc.

Is there a way to disable the player identifaction or make XBMC to show the message anyhow?
Please remove this message (system was not letting me to do it). This is covered (partly) already in http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=148591.
This thread is in the appropriate place, the other one is in the Linux forum, and is not a Linux related problem.
Couldn't find an answer, but I found a guilty Tongue -> Disc stubs: Display information that a optical disc drive is needed if a disc stub is selected on a system without any optical disc drive.

This should be optional, for us who don't have an optical drive connected to the XBMC (RPi in my case), this is a total drawback.
(2013-03-17, 04:17)azeos Wrote: This thread is in the appropriate place, the other one is in the Linux forum, and is not a Linux related problem.
Couldn't find an answer, but I found a guilty Tongue -> Disc stubs: Display information that a optical disc drive is needed if a disc stub is selected on a system without any optical disc drive.

This should be optional, for us who don't have an optical drive connected to the XBMC (RPi in my case), this is a total drawback.

That ticket is closed. We should open a new ticket. Ha anyone got the chance to check if in Frodo 12.1 this has been addressed?
(2013-03-17, 04:17)azeos Wrote: This thread is in the appropriate place, the other one is in the Linux forum, and is not a Linux related problem.

It needs a ticket. They broke it in 12. What good is the xml text if they wont display it?
The original behavior that was seen was that if you don't have an optical drive then the message still wasn't being displayed, so I guess no one thought it would be an issue because they assumed this was the behavior on all devices without optical drives.

In either case, I do not understand the "fix" being that it just says "you need an optical drive" instead of just having it show the message anyway. I believe PR1038 should be reverted and an alternative fix should be explored for the ATV2 (as in, just force the dang message).

I'll bring it up with the Team.

EDIT: we'll see what the rest of the Team thinks: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=160182
(2013-03-22, 17:57)Gaudi Wrote: That ticket is closed. We should open a new ticket. Ha anyone got the chance to check if in Frodo 12.1 this has been addressed?

It's still there https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master....cpp#L3890
I noticed that Ned started this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=160182 and I thought of giving my opinion on this:

If it's removed, problemed solved, works for me since I don't use ATV2. Big Grin

If it's decided to keep it, make an option in advancedsettings.xml that's called "forcestubfiles" or something like that and if thats true/1/yes play the file and don't show the message.
(2013-03-23, 16:02)kaffekask Wrote: I noticed that Ned started this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=160182 and I thought of giving my opinion on this:

If it's removed, problemed solved, works for me since I don't use ATV2. Big Grin

If it's decided to keep it, make an option in advancedsettings.xml that's called "forcestubfiles" or something like that and if thats true/1/yes play the file and don't show the message.

That would be great.
(2013-03-23, 17:59)azeos Wrote:
(2013-03-23, 16:02)kaffekask Wrote: I noticed that Ned started this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=160182 and I thought of giving my opinion on this:

That would be great.

+1 for me.
+1 for me, too. (I just ran into this issue after exporting 152 items from my GCstar DVD collection to my RasPi to have a unified video library.)
Also interested in getting the full stub functionality back on my atv2 but doesn't look like anything came of this?
Hi.

I'm running Gotham Beta 1 and the annoying message "You don't have an optical drive" appears.

I'm using disc stubs for my old movie collection and no-stubs for the new ones. By having the customized message in the .disc it was shown which DVD I had to find from the old movie shelf and copy it to somewhere in my LAN. It was absolutely great and very useful.

Will this "silly" advice (you know perfectly what your HTPC has) remain in Gotham?

Thanks!
Unfortunately, yes, it will remain silly Gotham :(

I'm hopeful that post-gotham we'll see some stub-attention, for this and the long awaited "hard drive" stub type that can even open the file once the drive is connected (assuming various concerns can be addressed, etc).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media stubs behauviour change in Frodo0