Linux XBMC doesn't fill the screen with HDMI on Panasonic plasma TV
Hello,

I installed XBMCbuntu 12 on my media center which is connected with an HDMI cable with my Panasonic plasma TV. The resolution is set to 1080p but I can't see the corners of the screen in XBMC (it seems that that the resolution is too large for the TV). A friend told me that it is a setting on my TV to accept "native" input, but I haven't find this seeting, the only thing I have in the setting of my TV input is "Automatic, 16/9, zoom1, zoom2, 4/3...".
I tried all these settings but nothing work.

Is somebody have an idea ?

Thanks you for your answers.
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

Have you already tried: System/Settings > System > Video output > Video calibration... ?
I was just wrestling with this. You might also look for "Over-scan" in your TV settings. If you see it and it's turned on, turn it off. It's terrible.
System; video.;zoom
On my panasonic its called 16:9 overscan

its in setup - other settings.

Matt
Main - LG - OLED65CX6LA 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED TV - Yamaha RXV383 - N2plus running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
BedRoom - Panasonic DX-700 UHD TV - N2 running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
Server - debian based 10TB Media Server 
Thanks for your answers.
I tried tried: System/Settings > System > Video output > Video calibration but it didn't work.
I saw things about the overscan on google, but I haven't find it in my TV setting, if somebody has a Panasonic TV can you tell me the path to access to the overscan settings ?
I just did

Matt
Main - LG - OLED65CX6LA 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED TV - Yamaha RXV383 - N2plus running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
BedRoom - Panasonic DX-700 UHD TV - N2 running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
Server - debian based 10TB Media Server 
try putting your display mode to THX
All my Tv's are Panasonic.

On all the Tv's I have aspect ratio set to 16:9.

On all the Tv's after connecting my 4 new openelec xbmc boxes (arctic mc001) the clock for example was mostly off the screen.

On all the Tv's after going into settings video calibration and adjusting things there, I had the home screen of xbmc displayed perfectly.

You realise video calibration is not automatic? You enter video calibration. You press your right direction key till you see the blue corner marker appear in the top left of you screen. You use right and down to adjust the corner marker till its right in the top left corner of the screen. You then press ok and use the direction keys to bring the bottom right corner marker into view and position it right in the bottom right corner. Press ok. Subtitle position is usually in the right place. Press ok again. The centre box is generally a nice square already after the other adjustments. Press ok. Press menu or back to exit video calibration.

You'll see your homescreen is now displayed perfectly, clock 'n all Big Grin
Calibos, It is actually better to try to disable overscanning on your TV, rather than just "live with it" it by streching your screen with video calibration.

Many TV's have a setting called PC-Mode / 'disable overscan' or similar that effectively turns your monitor into native HD mode. This will give you sharper images than using overscan.

If your TV does not have overscan disabling (as cheaper LCD panels sometimes still have) than you can settle with just using video calibration.

For many Panasonic Viera screens:
Code:
Menu --> Picture --> Advanced Picture --> HD Size
Change it to size 2. It normally defaults to size 1, which is when overscan is on.
Quote:You realise video calibration is not automatic?

It is on digital screens with digital inputs. As in, just about any TV with an HDMI port.
Sorry to bump an old thread. Did you ever fix your problem? I just got a Panasonic ST60 and was having the same issue with an OpenELEC build on my Raspberry Pi. I was messing with over scan options in XBMC but things never seemed right. I did however find a fix. I reset the overscan in XBMC to default (0,0) for all options. In my Panasonic settings (2013 model, not sure what year yours is) there was an option for 1080p pixel direct mode, checked it, and that fixed the issue for me.
ASUS F2A85-M PRO FM2 -- AMD A10-6800K -- 8gig DDR3 1600 -- Nvidia GTX 650 -- Samsung SSD 120gig -- GRANDIA GD05B Case -- Onkyo RC-HT260 -- Paradigm Atom Monitor S7 x4, Center 1, Surrounds 1 -- Panasonic 60ST60
Hello i am having the same issue with the model TH-42PX80U it is an 08 model and i do not have the same options ad the model referred to above and am not sure how to fix it any help is appreciated Smile

-Hunter
I have an P50-VT60, but I guess it should be same on any newer Panasonic.

Press AV on your remote and select the HDMI channel you'd like to change

Press MENU on your remote and select Picture.
Scroll down to Screen Settings and set 16:9 Overscan to Off

regards

Per
Well, to kick the dead horse some more -

2011 P60s30 user here with a new Raspberry Pi - tried calibration in the Pi to no avail

Overscan corrected in TV by going to Picture : Aspect Adjustments : HD Size - HD was Size 1, changed to Size 2 - all good now!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC doesn't fill the screen with HDMI on Panasonic plasma TV0