Compare to ROKU
What can I get on an XBMC based box that I can't get in the ROKU (newest version) ?

I only know of pirate video stream sources on XBMC. But other than that the ROKU can do everything else.

Yes it's not as customized as a XBMC solution. But still it's pretty comparable. Have both myself. Still curious about other opinions.
Lots of us use XBMC for managing a library of ripped DVDs and Blu-rays (that we legitimately own) - with a user interface far more polished than anything Roku or the other little streaming boxes have.

You can also integrate Live and recorded TV (using TV Headend or similar) with a suitable tuner card/USB tuner, and still have access to lots of your streaming services (like BBC iPlayer, SVT Play etc.)

I have a Popcorn Hour C200 Media Streamer, which is very easy to use, but has a very basic UI. It delivers excellent quality, but wasn't cheap. XBMC's UI blows it out of the water - though XBMC has taken a lot more of my time!
I have Roku and have built many HTPCs running XBMC.
Since I built my HTPC,..I can't remember the last time I used Roku.

I use XBMC to:
- Stream my copies of media that I own.
- Play music that is stored on my server. Also media that I own.
- Check on Weather
- View thousands of family pictures
- Watch Best of YouTube (an add-on)

When friends come over and see the XBMC wall of movies, they are blown away.
I'm not trying to impress them,...XBMC does that all by itself.

Roku is clunky, slow, loses network connectivity frequently.
But, that's my opinion.
Only pirate streaming sources? None of the video add-ons in the XBMC.org repo are pirate streams. I even use an add-on for Crunchyroll that I have a paid subscription to.
Lets see:

Live TV/PVR feature on XBMC- Not on Roku
Ability to play DVD/BD- Not on Roku
Ability to watch BD/DVD Rips in pretty much any format- You can probably get your Roku to do that but its not that great.

What Roku does have on XBMC------ NETFLIX.

I cant get that damn thing to work properly on XBMC but rest works great!
Netflix and Amazon Prime and Vudu and Pandora and Slingbox and Radio Paradice. All seem different maybe better on ROKU.

Did not mention use of WMC7 as recorder with EPG built in and working great but separate from XBMC. Why no WMC7 front end for XBMC? Another separate issue.
(2013-02-26, 10:39)ktjensen Wrote: Netflix and Amazon Prime and Vudu and Pandora and Slingbox and Radio Paradice. All seem different maybe better on ROKU.

Did not mention use of WMC7 as recorder with EPG built in and working great but separate from XBMC. Why no WMC7 front end for XBMC? Another separate issue.

it's not an "issue", it's just another option, one that I don't think many would use.
(2013-02-26, 17:23)nabberuk Wrote:
(2013-02-26, 10:39)ktjensen Wrote: Netflix and Amazon Prime and Vudu and Pandora and Slingbox and Radio Paradice. All seem different maybe better on ROKU.

it's not an "issue", it's just another option, one that I don't think many would use.
Actually pretty much anybody that wants to record/watch protected content from their cable provider MUST use WMC since it is the only media center software certified by cable labs. So pretty much everyone who uses a HD Homerun Prime or a Ceton quad tuner has to use WMC. I use WMC for TV recording/viewing and XBMC for everything else. I wish that XBMC had the option to use WMC as the DVR backend.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
Have Comcast and recording all protected content with no issues at all. No extra hacking. Works fine to record BBC and HBO and anything via WMC7
XBMC and Roku are really quite different. If you're satisfied streaming online content and having no control to customize the experience, then Roku is a good choice for you. If you want any kind of local streaming, and/or multitudes of customization, plugins, etc, but you're not concerned with some of the popular streaming services, then XBMC is your choice.
I wouldn't compare Roku to HTPC. It should be compared to smart blu-ray player or smart TV instead. I used to own almost every media player brands (Roku, Boxee, Xtreamer, WD, Xbox, PS3, etc), and none of them satisfy me as HTPC......the closest to HTPC is Dune HD Max, but it is still not HTPC.....

When Roku supports RedBox blu-ray disc, HD audio, file sharing, etc, then I'll revisit it.......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I think if you have experienced a real HTPC running XBMC with Aeon MQ4 then you will probably be dissatisfied with a Roku.

On the other hand, if you have never had a real HTPC and really only care about Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and so on, it will probably be good enough. I have a few family members who own one and use it for the above purposes and also connect to my Plex server and they love it.

Ignorance is bliss with most technology (no offense). I was recently faced with the task of choosing something cheap and was deciding between $50 and a roku or $115 and a Arctic MC001. Went with the Arctic and couldn't be happier. Will the Roku get the job done if you have a Plex server and don't care about HD audio, airplay, or any other advanced features? Yep. You will probably be happy enough with it since it is so cheap. Is a full HTPC with XBMC better? Yep... you also pay for it.

So if you only have $50 to spend and already have a Plex server then Roku is your choice (although a few may argue for a RPi). Otherwise... you need a real HTPC.
(2013-03-12, 19:09)cwide Wrote: On the other hand, if you have never had a real HTPC and really only care about Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and so on, it will probably be good enough.
If these are the requirements, SmartTV and Smart blu-ray player can do that......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2013-03-12, 19:47)bluray Wrote:
(2013-03-12, 19:09)cwide Wrote: On the other hand, if you have never had a real HTPC and really only care about Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and so on, it will probably be good enough.
If these are the requirements, SmartTV and Smart blu-ray player can do that......

To be fair a roku is probably a better user experience than those and far cheaper, but yes... those would be fine too.
My XBMC HTPC has taken me years to perfect but it blows the every commercial option out of the water.
There is nothing it can't do (obviously there are things it can't do, but you know what I mean).

Asking why XBMC instead of Roku is the same as asking why Fiat instead of Ferrari.

At least it would be if Ferrari's were a lot cheaper & the only real barrier to ownership was learning how to maintain them yourself, but you get my drift.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Compare to ROKU0