Compare to ROKU
you can actually play ripped DVD/BD through Roku and the PLEX channel.
(2013-03-12, 21:23)m7cky Wrote: My XBMC HTPC has taken me years to perfect but it blows the every commercial option out of the water.
There is nothing it can't do (obviously there are things it can't do, but you know what I mean).

Asking why XBMC instead of Roku is the same as asking why Fiat instead of Ferrari.

At least it would be if Ferrari's were a lot cheaper & the only real barrier to ownership was learning how to maintain them yourself, but you get my drift.

Again, I suppose that depends on a few things. My (Windows) XBMC is amazing at just about everything.....except Netflix. It's fascinating to me that everything under the sun comes packaged with a Netflix client, but XBMC doesn't have anything reasonable. I know there are technical reasons behind this. But to you use your analogy, it's like driving around that Ferrari but without a stereo system to complete the experience.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that XBMC is much more full featured. But people who rely heavily on Netflix for their cord-cutting needs might be disappointed in XBMC.

(2013-03-12, 21:38)rip_king Wrote: you can actually play ripped DVD/BD through Roku and the PLEX channel.

But you have to be careful with things like codecs and bitrates or it'll require transcoding, which sucks. For example, I believe most full-bitrate BD rips would require transcoding because they are above Roku's max bitrate.
I had Netflix working fine with the XBMCFLICKS add-on.
Took a lot of tweaking even on the os side to get a seamless experience.
If you have enough processing power and don't mind SD only, check out the Playon media server for easy, seamless netflix integration in XBMC (US netflix account required).

I gave up on Netflix long ago though, there are much better alternatives for a slightly higher price.
Although these are not to be discussed here. Fight Club rules n'all that.
Yeah, XBMC Flicks isn't an option for Windows right now (as I understand it), and I've become an HD junky so "SD only" makes me twinge Smile

Anyway, it's too bad, for a lot of people I think it would really complete the whole XBMC story. No big deal for me. I have Netflix built into my TV, but I had using that interface.
I'm with you on the HD junkie :-)
I had the 'flicks working on Windows, don't know of the situation now though.
The problem is with Netflix themselves as far as I can tell. They won't 'play' with XBMC because of it's open source nature.
I'd rather keep that than allow corps to dictate how these grand fellows do their business.
I know a lot of people want Netflix though, there was a thread on their api forums a while back, people should register their interest there & maybe one day they'll play ball.

Wouldn't be half as bad if they had a web based 10ft UI, youtube leanback works well so it's not like it can't be done.
Yeah, I agree on all counts.

So for now it sounds like the the answer is to get both! Haha.
(2013-03-12, 22:35)awp0 Wrote: Again, I suppose that depends on a few things. My (Windows) XBMC is amazing at just about everything.....except Netflix. It's fascinating to me that everything under the sun comes packaged with a Netflix client, but XBMC doesn't have anything reasonable. I know there are technical reasons behind this. But to you use your analogy, it's like driving around that Ferrari but without a stereo system to complete the experience.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that XBMC is much more full featured. But people who rely heavily on Netflix for their cord-cutting needs might be disappointed in XBMC.
With HTPC, the options are endless because it allow us to be very creative......here is what I did to get the best Netflix and Directv2pc streamings. post #751....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2013-03-13, 04:54)bluray Wrote: With HTPC, the options are endless because it allow us to be very creative......here is what I did to get the best Netflix and Directv2pc streamings. post #751....

What you just described is: a) difficult if not impossible for my Windows Server 2012 box, and b) unappealing in nature for most Roku users. I maintain that these two products are quite different and serve mostly different purposes and for many people the Roku box may very well be a better solution. Obviously I'm an XBMC user as is everyone else here, but anyone solely interested in commercial streaming services like Netflix might understandably prefer to avoid the complexity and go with a Roku.
(2013-03-13, 15:58)awp0 Wrote:
(2013-03-13, 04:54)bluray Wrote: With HTPC, the options are endless because it allow us to be very creative......here is what I did to get the best Netflix and Directv2pc streamings. post #751....

What you just described is: a) difficult if not impossible for my Windows Server 2012 box, and b) unappealing in nature for most Roku users.
Indeed, HTPC is not for everyone......it's mainly for the DIYer, tweaker, hobbyer, etc......

I still preferred streaming Netflix HD, Direct2pc HD, Youtube HD, Hulu HD, etc using my HTPC than my smart TV, smart blu-ray player, Roku, PS3, Xbox 360, etc, because I preferred typing using bluetooth keyboard/mouse vs the clicking/scrolling/select using remote controller of Roku.....and HTPC background and GUI are nicer too.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Roku + Plex ... 3 units and all working nicely Smile
(2013-03-12, 19:09)cwide Wrote: I think if you have experienced a real HTPC running XBMC with Aeon MQ4 then you will probably be dissatisfied with a Roku.

On the other hand, if you have never had a real HTPC and really only care about Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and so on, it will probably be good enough. I have a few family members who own one and use it for the above purposes and also connect to my Plex server and they love it.

Ignorance is bliss with most technology (no offense). I was recently faced with the task of choosing something cheap and was deciding between $50 and a roku or $115 and a Arctic MC001. Went with the Arctic and couldn't be happier. Will the Roku get the job done if you have a Plex server and don't care about HD audio, airplay, or any other advanced features? Yep. You will probably be happy enough with it since it is so cheap. Is a full HTPC with XBMC better? Yep... you also pay for it.

So if you only have $50 to spend and already have a Plex server then Roku is your choice (although a few may argue for a RPi). Otherwise... you need a real HTPC.

Cant find an ARTIC MC101 for sale at $115 anywhere.
Having just been linked to this thread, I find it surprising that people act as if XBMC is the reason that Amazon Prime, Netflix, or Hulu don't work well or aren't extremely well supported. It's those companies owners fault that they aren't well supported. They actively work to ensure XBMC won't be able to use their services (for no reason).

XBMC not playing netflix isn't an XBMC problem, it's a Netflix problem. Similar to how Amazon Prime, ensures that you can't play content you own on an Android device that isn't the Kindle Fire.

These companies do stupid stuff all the time like this. It detracts from their profits. XBMC is free so it really doesn't hurt XBMC, especially since its primary use is as a media library. All of these are just addons.
I use both!
I have an i3 based HTPC running XBMC using Windows 7. I used to be able to feed 2 rooms simultaineously with Eden using the "dual-audio" patch and an HDMI splitter. Since Frodo, it is not possible to have surround sound in my main room and stereo to my bedroom any more... So I picked up a Roku and installed Plex on my HTPC. Now I can stream XBMC content (movies, TV, and music) to my bedroom TV without messing with the audio settings in XBMC. Plus it makes watching Netflix in the bedroom easy!

I really wish that for Gotham, the XBMC team would incorporate a dual-audio capability!

The only bummer using Plex to stream XBMC in my bedroom is that I haven't figured out if there is a way to pick up/monitor the "watched" flags from XBMC content... (in other words, Plex doesn't know what I've already watched on the XBMC "server".) Any Plex users have thoughts on this?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Compare to ROKU0