Problems installing xbmc on apple tv 2
Hi All,

I used seasonpass to jailbreak my apple tv 2, after this i wanted to install xbmc.
In the settings -> general it now says version 5.2
i tried ssh commands to install xbmc, allso i tried nito tv installer wizzard but the icon of xbmc is not showing.

Am i doing something wrong?
Please all help is welcome, if more information is needed please tell me!

tnx,
XBMC does not work on Apple TV 2 software 5.2. You need to install 5.0.2 instead.
how do i install 5.0.2?

if you have a link or program that would help a lot!

tnx
Seas0nPass will work with a 5.0.2 restore image, I hear.
Tnx, that fixed my issue works like a charm!
Hello guys,

I just built the current source code from github master branch and was able to get it to compile correctly thanks to several helpful posts from Memphiz. I created the org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2_13.0-0~alpha1_iphoneos-arm.deb file however when I install it I get an error that xvmc-seatbeltunlock isn't installed. Any help appreciated. Yes, I am learning...

My ATV2 is running 5.0.2 (4250) and I used SeasonPass to JB it and installed the FireCore software. That's all I've done.

Apple-TV:~/Media root# dpkg -i org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2_13.0-0~alpha1_iphoneos-arm.deb
Selecting previously deselected package org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2.
(Reading database ... 1334 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 (from org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2_13.0-0~alpha1_iphoneos-arm.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2:
org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 depends on org.xbmc.xbmc-seatbeltunlock; however:
Package org.xbmc.xbmc-seatbeltunlock is not installed.
dpkg: error processing org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2
Apple-TV:~/Media root#
Well, I poked around the web and tried "apt-get -f install" and that installed seatbeltunlock.

The I reran the install of XBMC and that seemed to work however I did not see it in the menus.

Next I restarted the ATV2 and I still do not see the XBMC logo...

I then did a "apt-get update" and several things updated. However still not XBMC logo.

Going into the "Maintenance" icon and then down to Manage Extras and XBMC - says it's installed with Version 13.0.0~alpha1 so it appears to be mostly there so what do I need to do to have it show up in the list?

Thanks,
Michael
You could try to install frodo first. That way seatbeltunlock will be installed, then install your self compiled "nightly"
mjgillen - you have to look into /var/log/syslog and see why xbmc isn't loaded by the appletv process.

Also it might just be that your buildsystem constellation (xcode 4.6 + ios 6.1sdk) does produce bs...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I installed Frodo and the logo/icon shows. Then installed over Frodo with my Build. No errors however the icon still does not show up. It does show version 13.0.0~alpha1 when it used to show 12.0.0 for Frodo so something did happen however no icon/logo.

@Memphiz, no syslog file found in /var/log or /private/var/log - am I looking in the wrong place? I did an "apt-get install syslogd" and reinstalled my build. Still no syslog.

I pasted my crashlog here:

AppleTV_2013-02-21-060701_Apple-TV = http://pastebin.com/4b74KaKS
AppleTV_2013-02-21-053513_Apple-TV = http://pastebin.com/hciSX0bY
LatestCrash-AppleTV = http://pastebin.com/Cir43gGr

I very well could be that I'm producing garbage :-) At least I'm getting the process working.

Michael
you need to symbolicate those crashlogs (i can't do it - only you can because you have the corresponding .dSYM file).

Code:
symbolicatecrash -o symbolicated-crashlog.txt AppleTV_2013-02-21-053513_Apple-TV XBMC.frappliance

Do this in the build/Debug-iphoneos Directory of yours with the exact frappliance you have installed. This might not give you much though because it crashs in AppleTV code (since xbmc didn't start yet).

Well this is getting really technically with both of your threads. I would say you should bump into #xbmc-ios or #xbmc-dev on freenode irc and maybe i'm there and can help you. But we should keep those technical stuff out of our support forum (or you do a dedicated appletv2 dev thread in our development forum and ask your questions there).

First priority is to get your syslog working because you can't do much without it (maybe install nitotv and install syslogd via nitotv - this should route the output of syslogd to /var/syslog then).

Well development could be easy - but you have chosen our hardest traget for deving on - the atv2 Big Grin - get used to beeing blindfolded all the time Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Hello Memphiz and thanks for all your help.

I'm at work so won't be able to try anything until later tonight.

I think I'm going to revert to an older Xcode that is supported and try that first.
Then I'll try building the nightly.
And I'll move over to IRC for my questions.
And I'll install nitoTV and syslogd from that.

I dont' want to waste a lot of everyones's time, however I would like to contribute as a Dev once I have this figured out.

I don't mind choosing the hardest platform nor do I mind being blindfolded. I'm pretty good at debugging so this doesn't bother me at all. LIke I said, I just want to contribute. I'm sure once 13.0 is released for iOS6.x there will be lots of opportunity to fix bugs which is what I like to do. And I do appreciate the help. I know everyone is busy with more important stuff and their other jobs.

So for now, signing off this thread and will take it more private.

Michael
@work too here. Well i would suggest not to downgrade xcode. See it as your first task to get it working with the newest tools (else i have to do that sooner or later ;o) ). It might just be that you have upgraded the xcode project format and it set the target ios version to high (e.x. if it set the ios target version to 6.0 and you are running 5.0 on your atv2 - it won't get loaded).

Looking forward to your help and cu on irc sooner or later ...
Hello Memphiz,

In a nutshell - got it working with Xcode 4.5.1 on ATV2 running 5.0.2.

Got tired of struggling with too many unknowns about the setup etc. so I did a clean install of Mountain Lion and then Xcode 4.5.1 and then followed the instructions. Only a couple of deviations: I needed to have Java installed, which it prompted me for so I did and reran the script it failed on. And the other note is in section 5 step 3 I think the "./mk-xbmc" should say "./mkdeb-xbmc"

OK now that I have it running I can turn on logging and other stuff to play with it and once I'm comfortable, I'll move towards Xcode 4.6, but not right away. I want to at least fix a few issues before I brave any new turf.

Thanks again for all the help!
Michael

PS: I saw your name on the announcement on Engadget - you're famous! Congrats!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems installing xbmc on apple tv 21