Android Omnimote - control XBMC without looking at your phone!
There is one thing I've always hated about the available remotes for XBMC - every time I wanted to do something, I had to look away from my TV and at that damned remote, only to continuously glance at the screen to see what I was doing.

Do you have the same problem? Fear not, I've finally solved it! With my new Android app, Omnimote, you can now control XBMC without looking at your phone. Simple swipe with your finger and control everything you need.

The gestures' meaning varies depending on context, but is always intuitive. Below is a full list:

While watching a movie:
- swipe left/right: skip backward/forward
- (two-finger) swipe down: context menu
- two-finger swipe left: back
- single tap: play/pause
- double tap: stop

While in any menu:
- normal swipes: arrow keys - move in that direction
- two-finger swipe down: context menu
- two-finger swipe left: back
- single tap: select
- swipe up/down and hold: scrolling

Use the volume keys to change the volume XBMC is playing at.

If you have suggestions or want to request a feature, please don't hesitate to contact me via email ([email protected]) or open a request on Github: https://github.com/Mononofu/omnimote/issues

The app is fully open source and licensed under GPL v3, you can find the source here: https://github.com/Mononofu/omnimote or download it prebuilt from the Play! store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...u.omnimote
Great that you made it GPL, but as you are using some obscure toolkit (scala?), it would be nice to have some directions on how to build it...

Even better would be a trial version of sorts, though Wink
First, Scala is not a toolkit but rather a language for the JVM. It is much more powerful and concise (lambda functions, higher order functions for the collections, pattern matching, very powerful type system, ...) than Java, but still compiles down to normal byte code. It can also directly use all Java libraries, you can even have Scala and Java code in the same project.

That said, building is pretty straightforward, I'll update the README shortly. Basically, you download sbt (http://www.scala-sbt.org/release/docs/Ge...Setup.html), then run "sbt androidConfusedtart-device" to build the app and install it to your phone. (sbt is similar to maven or ant, but more popular in the Scala community)

I'm not sure about the trial version - you can simply return the app if you don't like it and get a full refund anyway, so what use would a trial app be? (iirc the window is 15 minutes, plenty of time to test the app and see if you like it)
Looks a lot like what is in Yatse Wink
After testing Yatse, I have to say that this is a hilarious coincidence Big Grin

The biggest difference seems to be that I use two-finger swipes for back instead of double-tap.

Good thing I made this App to scratch an itch, and not to make money Smile
(2013-02-20, 14:25)Tolriq Wrote: Looks a lot like what is in Yatse Wink
Indeed.
But I didn't get a good feeling with it in Yatse. Wanted to try this one to see if its me or the app Wink
Well done and gestures are gestures, it's very weird to me tell to other collegues such things as they are like the remote X or the remote Y, it's a weird thing to do in my opinion.

That said, it might be more convenient to use the double-tap for the back action. So you can perform basic operations always and only with one hand.
Well since this message is for me : mononofu says there's no remote that do that on Android so I say well Yatse does exactly the same.
This was by no way a kind of I invented this remove your app.

This is a strange remark on me but well perhaps you don't like that I push all users asking for iOs version of Android to your remote dear collegue Smile
as you say
(2013-02-20, 16:08)joethefox Wrote: That said, it might be more convenient to use the double-tap for the back action. So you can perform basic operations always and only with one hand.
I would also suggest a hold press for context menu(like ATV).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Omnimote - control XBMC without looking at your phone!1