Low cost HTPC Build
I am building a new HTPC after trying out a WD TV Live and not liking certain elements, (lack of metadata from NAS files, no faves on network etc). I will be building this cheap and cheerful and installing XBMC and connecting over a wired network via powerline devices to my DNS-323 NAS.

Parts:

CPU AMD A4 5300 APU
MOTHERBOARD MSi FM2-A55M-E33
RAM AMD MEMORY Entertainment Edition 4GB PC3-12800 CL9 DDR3 SDRAM (1 x 4GB)
SSD Kingston 64GB (already own)
CASE/PSU INWIN IW-BK623 Micro ATX Tiny Tower, Black w/ 300W Power Supply

The total including shipping and taxes was $190.90, I hope that this little machine will work out well, parts were shipped out today.
I want to clarify that this build will be able to play 1080p HD rips and stream all 5.1 surround sound over HDMI to my Onkyo receiver?
My parts arrived on Friday and I built the machine Friday evening, installed Windows 7 and XBMC and tested it out, it works well but some files do not play back smoothly, I am sure this is not related to my machine, likely drivers or settings, needs more tweaking.

I followed the steps below after the initial issues with the playback and they are still happening.

My setup is, PC>AVR Onkyo>LCD all using HDMI.1. If you installed Realkek, you can un-install it
2. Make sure to up date the latest AMD driver from here- AMD Driver Autodetect
3. Select AMD High Definition audio output in Windows 7 control panel/hardware and sound/sound/playback
4. If you have AVR, you need to select "Audio output device WASAPI: "AVR brand/model go here" (AMD High Definition......)" in XBMC
5. Enable DXVA2 and select DXVA as Render method and disable everything else in XBMC system/video/playback
6. Enable "Use fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" in XBMC system/system/vdeo output
(2013-02-21, 18:45)wedge22 Wrote: I want to clarify that this build will be able to play 1080p HD rips and stream all 5.1 surround sound over HDMI to my Onkyo receiver?

Is this a question or a statement?

That system seem more than capable of playing HD video and 5.1 surround sound
HTPC - i3-3240 Processor | Asus P8H77-I Mobo | 8 GB PC3 12800 DDR3 | 60 GB SSD | Windows 8.1 w/ XBMC Frodo
NAS Server - Dual Xeon E5440 Quad Core | 32 GB DDR2 ECC | 4 X 2TB Western Digital RED | RAIDz | FreeNAS
At the time it was a question, I had hoped to use OPENELEC XBMC but as ATi drivers are poor for Linux I would not have been able to bitstream 5.1 so I chose to install Windows 7 and XBMC. Now I just have the issue with some of the files playback appearing jerky, but the FPS is showing correctly and CPU utilization is low.
Are the files located on the system itself or on another system / external drive?
HTPC - i3-3240 Processor | Asus P8H77-I Mobo | 8 GB PC3 12800 DDR3 | 60 GB SSD | Windows 8.1 w/ XBMC Frodo
NAS Server - Dual Xeon E5440 Quad Core | 32 GB DDR2 ECC | 4 X 2TB Western Digital RED | RAIDz | FreeNAS
My files are stored on a DNS 323 NAS and the network is Powerline Ethernet adaptors, I have three of them setup. I will test with the same files this evening stored on the SSD of the HTPC and see if there is any difference to rule out network. I will also test these same files on my main rig after I have installed XBMC on it, as they work fine using VLC on my main rig over the network.
Are you pulling the files through an Ethernet cable or wifi? If its wifi, that's going to cause a bottleneck. If its wired, then I would start looking at the system performance to see where the hang up is (as you said, playing off of the systems SSD).
Well it was the interlace settings they were off, I turned them onto Auto and problem fixed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Low cost HTPC Build0