Are all Amlogic 8726 M3 based sticks good for XBMC?
Just like the subject says I wonder how well it handle 720 p and 1080P MKV playback in XBMC Andoird and/or XBMC Linux.
I had a stick, passed it on to one of my co-workers, he blew it up within a day Big Grin ,so never had info about the performance out of first hand.

Smog, has reported the A22 works very well for him. Maybe you could try to get into contact with him;
http://www.j1nx.nl/support/forums/?mingl...topic&t=19
I have found a stick for 45 USD incl. shipping, but I don´t want to end up with another mediocre player that cannot handle RARed movies or play 720P or 1080P properly
Put your expections in line with the price you buy it for.

45 USD incl. shipping !!!
(2013-02-22, 13:07)j1nx Wrote: Put your expections in line with the price you buy it for.

45 USD incl. shipping !!!

Well, if it only relies on SOC and RAM no matter how fancy the box is it should do, but I am asking you to verify this. If think it is a waste of money to pay over 150 USD if it still uses same SOC as stick priced at 50 USD. That is my point

After all you can get hold of "powerful" hardware like RK3066 for just a bit more, but it doesn´t matter if there is NO necessary documentation to take advantage of the hardware as I see it.
Hmm, I think we have a different understanding of money. For $45,- I really have no expectations about the device what so ever. I would not even ask myself the question if it would perform according a standard.

But I guess a Stick based on the Amlogic Meson3 would be as powerfull as the other STB alikes.
(2013-02-22, 13:59)movie_enjoyer Wrote: After all you can get hold of "powerful" hardware like RK3066 for just a bit more, but it doesn´t matter if there is NO necessary documentation to take advantage of the hardware as I see it.

I think you're making your own point there. Even with the same SoC and RAM etc. without documentation it's not straightforward to port XBMC across - particularly the Linux version.

A $45 AMlogic stick with no real documentation may not be that useful... Without kernel sources for the particular hardware environment it's built to work within (i.e. what ports it has, how they are configured etc.) it's non-trivial to get a fully functional kerneal and thus XBMC running on it.

And without UART access (which is less common on sticks) it's quite tricky to fiddle with uBoot easily. You might get lucky and find it's a reference design - but I wouldn't hold your breath.

This is for the Linux port (which is probably more stable and feature-rich).

Android builds may well be a different case.
if you are looking for something cheap try mygica a11.

I've tried the amlogic sticks - they are not worth it, build quality sucks, terrible for heat dissipation
Before you spend $45 for a stick that might or might not work and has questionable or zero support from the company. Ask yourself, do you feel lucky ? Or would you rather spend the money on something that does work and has verified and strong support from the company that sold it. If you feel lucky, spend the $45 and let us know how that worked out for you.

Remember, now that XBMC has appeared as viable for Android, there is a boatload of chinese manufactures out there just waiting for suckers to buy their so called products, they don't care if it works or not as 3-4 weeks shipping is enough time for them to cash in on sales to suckers and disappear only to reappear as some other company offering some other rebranded piece of crap... There's a old saying 'Never Give a Sucker an Even Break', it still holds true.
Is Geniatech one of those companies davilla?
http://pivosgroup.com/
In what way j1nx
(2013-02-23, 13:43)bluepeter Wrote: In what way j1nx

http://xbmc.org/natethomas/2013/01/29/xbmc-12-0-frodo/

Check out the section about friends and sponsors!
Now I think that's a bit of a dichotomy, Pivos/Geniatech ... too much of a Faustian pact, the question is which ones Faust.
Geniatech makes the Pivos hardware according to Pivos spec. So actually Geniatech has nothing to do with Pivos hardware once they (Geniatech) make it, flash the Pivos firmware and pack it into a box for shipment to Pivos.

The difference here is that Pivos takes full responsibility for the unit and the customer never has to deal with anyone else. It's Pivos supplied firmware on the units, not Geniatech or anyone else. Pivos also assures that GPL licensing is followed and source code for the kernel and other components are available.

Now I'm not sure why the smart ass comment from bluepeter, as Pivos is and has been the only AMLogic box vendor where users don't have to go begging for GPL source code. In fact, it was due to the efforts of Pivos that AMLogic changing their licensing terms to OEMs, where said OEMs would be able to open their source code to their users.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Are all Amlogic 8726 M3 based sticks good for XBMC?0