cmyth slower than upnp to load/buffer/skip
Hi
I have noticed, particularly when trying to skip forward through shows that cmyth PVR is significantly slower than the same thing via the Videos/UPNP interface.

This is irritating on the RPi as it takes a couple of seconds to perform each 30 second skip. You can see it rebuffering also.

I would prefer to use the PVR function as it has much more functionality, but upnp works much smoother for viewing. I have tried XBian, Raspbmc and Openelec and they all behave the same. If you look closely you can see the same behaviour on Mac but being much faster anyway it isn't an issue. I have checked backend CPU and it is less than 10%.

It seems like cmyth is trying to fill a much larger buffer than the when using upnp.

Is there anything I can do to adjust this in cmyth, eg reduce buffer size etc?
That has also been my experience. Even worse, if I access MythTV recordings (1080i, h.264 codec, mpeg ts container) via either the old myth:// protocol, or via the PVR plugin then the recordings are basically unwatchable due to constant buffering, almost like XBMC is unable to access the network interface efficiently enough to keep the video buffers full. However, if I access those same recordings via either UPnP video source, or just via SMB mapped directory then they play back fine, no skipping issues or buffering. Very strange!
I experience rebuffering on HD content only using RPI. I've tried Xbian, Openelec and Raspbmc's newest flavors and they all do the same thing. I've tried overclocking, doesn't seem to make any difference. I am using USB Wifi dongles connecting to a high quality, new Asus router. I have even noticed rebuffering issues when using a wired connection, though not nearly so much.

Interestingly, I can watch HD content using the MythFrontEnd for my 5-year-old Macbook Pro with no buffering issues over Wifi.

If anyone has a clue on a solution, please post!
I found it was fixed by using Gotham build of XBMC.
I found this in a custom openelec build at the time and it works very well.
Gotham is now in the testing build of openelec but I have not tried it from there as yet.
This is my experience watching MPEG2 video served by a myth backend. RPi uses OpenELEC:
Gotham cmyth/RPi/wireless n connection - constant buffering
Frodo cmyth/RPi/wireless n connection - constant buffering
Frodo cmyth/RPi/wired connection - no problem
Gotham cmyth/RPi/wired connection - no problem
Gotham cmyth/Macbook/wireless n connection - no problem
Built in UPnP/LG TV/wireless n connection - no problem

FYI, the wireless on the Pi is not with a USB dongle. It is using a combo router/Access Point/Client device, plugged into the ethernet port of the Pi.

I'm going to try watching with the Pi using UPNP over wireless, and see how that goes.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
cmyth slower than upnp to load/buffer/skip1