What is the best USB tuner to DVB-S2 ?
What is the best USB tuner to DVB-S2 with the best price and works fine in OpenELEC?

And where I can buy?
no idea if it's the best priced, but sundtek's adapter are fully supported by OE: http://sundtek.com/shop/Digital-TV-Stick...-S/S2.html
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
Yes Sundtek works fine for me too
I've got a TBS QBox II, which I can't recommend lowly enough - it won't work on Openelec without compiling your own version because the drivers don't play nicely with other tuners, it runs incredibly hot, plus I'm not convinced on its/its driver's stability. So I'd say 'avoid that one'.

On the other hand, I also have a PCTV 460e, which works out of the box on OE and even on my Synology 211+ NAS (kernel 2.6.32 - once VideoStation has loaded the right kernel modules).

If I had to buy a new stick (which I might, given the question mark over the TBS unit), I'd seek out another PCTV unit - it's a Hauppauge brand now, so I guess you have that heritage as well. I also have one of their 260e DVB-T2 tuners, and that works equally as well (albeit needing kernel 3.0+, I think, though don't quote me on that) and is a significant improvement on my WinTV DVB-T stick.
I have a working Windows system using 2 USB DVB-S2 cards. One is the PCTV 460e which you can pick up between £60-£80 if you are in the UK and a TBS 5980 which goes from about £55. Keep an eye on eBay.

A couple of weeks ago I tried Openelec and found using the bog standard Openelec install only the 460e works. However there is a modified version you can download from their forums that will allow TBS tuners to work. But if you choose to enable TBS tuners on this modified version, other branded tuners will not work. Its one or the other. Also, if you choose this modified version you may find you have issues upgrading at a later stage to a newer version of Openelec.

I also tried XBMCbuntu. It shows the PCTV 460e tuner but does not work out of the box. You need to upload the missing 'dvb-fe-tda10071.fw' file to the OS, then it will tune in OK. Once I had the PCTV tuner working on XBMCbuntu I installed the TBS driver and the PCTV tuner then stopped working. I've checked on the Openelec forums and there loads of stuff about the TBS driver doing this.

So... if using Openelec I advise only to use PCTV tuners.
-----------------------------------
Front End: Asrock ION 3D running OpenElec - Backend: Dedicated server Running Ubuntu with TBS 6981 DVB-S2 USB
is that TBS 5980 still good idea?
(2013-02-22, 22:01)Spy_br Wrote: What is the best USB tuner to DVB-S2 ...

All depends on what you mean by "best".

Best could mean being able to receive all types of unecrypted transmissions which is not possible with most DVB tuners.

If you want to receive multistream transmissions (which are not encrypted) from 5 West eg for Frances Television and RAI [and more services may switch to this mode to prevent reception on standard DVB tuners] then the only "domestic" USB tuner currently known to have this capability is the

TBS 5925

<http://www.tbsdtv.COM/products/tbs5925-d...r-usb.html>

Quote:The applying of an unique DVB-S2 demodulator chipset makes it possible to receive special streams broadcasted with ACM, VCM, Multi Input Stream, 16APSK, 32APSK.

Main Features:
DVB-S2/S Transponders Receiving
CCM, VCM,ACM and Multi Input Stream Support
Wide range symbol rates support from 200Ksps to 45Msps

Both Windows BDA driver and Linux driver up to the latest kernel 3.X are provided.
(2015-03-18, 21:57)jgmiller Wrote: If you want to receive multistream transmissions (which are not encrypted) from 5 West eg for Frances Television and RAI [and more services may switch to this mode to prevent reception on standard DVB tuners] then the only "domestic" USB tuner currently known to have this capability is the

TBS 5925
each tuner receive only 1 stream on same frequency at time?
Future TBS 5983?
Is any cheap China dvb-s2 usb tuner, what work from kernel 3.10?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is the best USB tuner to DVB-S2 ?0