Fast Forward on Non-Apple remote
upgraded from 4.2.2 (ios 5) to 5.1 (ios 6) today and redid my jailbreak and install of XBMC via ATV Flash Black. I was using frodo on ios 5 and continue to do so on ios 6.

I am having an issue now that I never had before with a learned remote. I have my single universal remote that has both the standard 4 way pad with select button and standard playback buttons. In the main ATV settings I programed my remote as a learned remote including the secondary step of programing playback buttons. The fast forward and rewind buttons do send different IR signals than the cross pad forward and back.

On 4.2.2 when I used this set up I was able to use the fast forward and rewind buttons to fast forward and rewind and the cross pad buttons were 30 second steps. On 5.1 the fast forward and rewind buttons do not do anything and the forward and back only do 30 second stepping. Note the silver apple remote also only provides 30 second stepping.

I know the ATV recognizes the fast forward and rewind buttons as they respond properly in the Netflix app.

I would really like to have all my playback commands working. I have tried changing the setting under Settings->System->Input Devices to universal remote and toggled the sends keyboard input buttons.

Any help is appreciated.
sounds like you used a custom keymap before (AppleRemote.xml or what its called) ... see keymap (wiki)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I don't remember installing that before and I did backup and restore my preference->XBMC folder on the device so all my other plugins and data transferred
I have a very similar question. I'm using a Harmony One remote which has: 1. left/right directional buttons; 2. ff/rw buttons; 3. skip forward, skip back buttons. With XBMC Eden on ATV OS 4.x, the ff/rw buttons worked. Now with XBMC Frodo (latest nightly) & ATV OS 5.2, they do nothing. The skip forward/back buttons also do nothing now but I don't think they worked on Eden either.

I also copied over my entire Preferences/XBMC folder before upgrading to iOS 5.2/XBMC Frodo. I have just re-checked both the backup from ATV OS 4/Eden and the files on the actual ATV2, and there is (and was) no custom keymap file in the Keymaps folder at all.

I've done some investigating here. I'm using the standard Harmony "Apple Apple TV" profile on the remote. Here's what it shows as the buttons layout:

And here's what I understand to be the latest default configuration (correct me if I'm wrong):

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/1fc5...80c8fc9db8

Wouldn't that indicate there is some discrepancy here? Maybe one that somehow worked properly on Eden but not in Frodo?

Which "soft" buttons, shown in the above configuration picture, would Button ID 20 and Button ID 21 correspond to?

For now the left/right directional buttons do work to rw/ff. I see the resolution here to fix the default keymap and/or to make a custom one.

Thanks.

Also see post #128 in this thread, reporting same problem:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=91287&page=13
And you updated ios and xbmc at the same time. Could you try eden on 5.2 first for really ruling out that ios is the problem?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
OK, if I get a chance I will. Can I ask what the implications of downgrading are tho to my saved userdata and skin data and thumbnail indexes that have been upgraded, etc? If it's just a matter of installing Eden over the top of Frodo and easily going back, no problem.

I did however compare the joystick.appleremote.xml files in the XBMC app's XBMCData folder – what I take to be the defaults – between 11.0.4 and the latest 12 nightly 02-24-13. There are two minor difference that wouldn't seem to affect this issue. Scratches head.
Note: I found another issue with the Harmony One (and it's default Apple TV profile). This relates specifically to the last.fm app that's installed as part of aTV Flash. The pause & play buttons don't work, while they did on prior OS (I think, though can't be sure), and while they work in other applications, including XBMC. So I'm thinking that yes, the OS made some subtle changes that are affecting Logitech's Harmony profile. I will alert Logitech. Also I posted about this issue on firecore's forums:

http://forum.firecore.com/topic/9669
Memphiz: sorry, I didn't want to risk mucking things up too much by downgrading. So I just went ahead and reprogrammed my remote. I re-added the Apple TV device to accommodate any changes Logitech may have made, deleted the old device, and added the new one to the activity. Unfortunately that alone made no difference. So then I reprogrammed it again so that the hard rw / ff buttons are mapped to "directionLleft" and "directionRight". That works around the problem, of course. But it seems the behavior of the directionLeft / directionRight instructions is slightly different than a true rewind and fast forward. It's a little skippy or jumpy rather than smooth scrubbing. Does that make sense?

This issue may also have been caused by using the Plex Player profile rather than the Apple TV profile to program the remote initially. Unfortunately in making the mentioned change I didn't get a chance to check that, due how wonky the Harmony software is (very "wizard" oriented). All I know is that both a Plex Player device and Apple TV device were part of the original activity, and now Plex Player is still part of the activity although it does nothing, apparently.
I'm also having the same issue with iOS 5.2, Frodo, and the Harmony One report. The FF / RW just stopped workong
I won't look into it until someone of you really proves that its xbmc not ios ...
(2013-02-28, 09:18)Memphiz Wrote: I won't look into it until someone of you really proves that its xbmc not ios ...

well understandable. but i'm not going to test without a little confidence that downgrading and upgrading again will pose no issues. people are posting here that they attempted to downgrade and now get no XBMC icon:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=154162
understand that too.
(2013-02-28, 09:18)Memphiz Wrote: I won't look into it until someone of you really proves that its xbmc not ios ...
Has there been any more info on this? I am having the problem, too, and have tried to get a keyboard.xml thing to work, etc - and xbmc just doesn't want to recognize the rewind and FF buttons I have programmed through the native ATV menu. They work everywhere else on the ATV - it's got to be something they messed up in the 5.2 conversion that nuked the capability in XBMC
Just want to add that I'm having the same issue. Was running Frodo beta 3 on 5.0.2. Removed xbmc and re-jailbroke my atv2 (software still 5.0.2) and clean installed frodo using xbmchub nito installer and wizard. Extended learned controls on my tv remote are now no loner working within xbmc (stop, play, ff, rew, skip etc; work fine playing videos in atv2). Basic learned controls (menu, arrows, select) are fine. Have jailbroken multiple atv2 software versions with multiple xbmc releases for the past couple of years and never run into this issue before.
I have the same problem.

Last week I've upgraded my black ATV 2 from 4.2 and XBMC 11 to 5.2 (6010.90) and Frodo (12.0 Git:20130221-5057c0a). Before I upgraded, my Harmony 720 skipforward, backforward, fastforward and fastbacward where working without any problem.
Once I've upgraded,I lost the usage of these button, they act strangly, actually the skipforward now act as a skip chapter...yesterday, my dog chew my 720 so I had to buy a new remote, I bought the Harmony touch that I configured from scratch and i still have the exact same issues with these button.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fast Forward on Non-Apple remote0