How to add a new string
Hi Devs!

I'm new to xbmc development and as part of a feature that I'm trying, I need to add a new string to xbmc\language\English\strings.po. I understand that translating this new string to other languages would happen through the translation system but how to I create a new string first?

I could not find any documentation for this. Please help.
well, the answer depends on why you would need a new string? :-)
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
The background is in this thread. I'm creating a new sort method which will need it's own display string.

Apart from how to add a new string I would also like to know if there are any rules - like all sort method strings are in [x, y] range, etc.
apart from a few reserved ranges (they are listed as such in the .po file),
there's no limitation on what you can use, or in which order.

so, just simply add a new string to the .po as you please.

since you're working on the picture stuff in xbmc, you might want to check with garbear,
who is afaik also working on it: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=141169
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Thanks ronie! I'll check the other thread in detail. At first look it appears that the new sort method development is complementary to garbear's dev.
The photolibrary branch isn't going to be merge-ready for a long time, so feel free to cherry-pick code for pull requests (makes our review work much easier in the future if part of the code is already in master). If you got questions or need help, post here or PM me and I'll do my best to pretend like I know what I'm talking about Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to add a new string0