Building cheap without sacrificing features
I have literately been reading this board all day trying to come up with the best way for me to create my xbmc box. At first I had planned to buy a FoxConn A3700 from NewEgg.ca and changed my mind when reading about sound issues and support.

I have looked at Eskro's sticky threads and wanted to get something small, but also inexpensive. I was hoping to get a mac mini but haven't found one used and affordable in my area. Eskro's mini-atx kits had some limitations and some of the Micro kits had parts I couldn't find from the canadian sites I use.

What I want:

- An XBMC box (likely Open Elec) that is fast and fluid, runs heavy skins and goes through menus without lag
- Supports Internal Hard Drive (1TB is what I plan to use)
- 1080p video without lag
- Optical Audio Out and 3.5mm Audio Out, support for HD Sound\Dolby TRUE (I don't know much about sound, but I have an audio receiver and would like to take advantage of my surround sound)
- Runs sickbeard, couch potato and other apps with few problems

I won't be using this for PVR, or live tv and would like to spend as little as possible, maybe around $200-300.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Would a G-Box midnight with external hard drive work with openelec for this? and allow me to install the apps I need.
from what I've gathered from these forums, Dolby dts isn't supported on the android platform yet.

I'm currently putting together a build with similar requirements and budget.

here's what I've got so far:
amd a6-3500 (with hd Radeon graphics) = £28
asrock a75m-itx = £55

just got a case, ram & ssd left to buy, likely to cost around £150
I was having trouble finding the parts to build one of the micro ATX builds Eskro posted.

I was looking at this:

AMD A8-5600K Trinity F2 Socket Chip
ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M FM2 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Seasonic SS-400ET 400W EPS12V 20/24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80PLUS 6PIN PCI-E 120mm Fan OEM
Silverstone Milo ML03B Black mATX HTPC Case 1X5.25 2X3.5INT USB3 Supports 4 80MM Case Fan

With shipping this came out to $332

But this was just an overpowered and more expensive way of building one of Eskro's builds... I also wouldn't benefit from the increase in power. I don't have ram or a hard drive around either.

If anyone could help cheapen the build with Ncix.ca or Newegg.ca, MemoryExpress or another canadian site, please help out on this one? I'm now looking at the Zotac AD04, but if I choose to turn this into a computer eventually it would be best to build my own.
Drop down to an A4-5300 (as long as you don't need 3D) and Seasonic SS-300ET -- that should do it.
(2013-02-24, 21:15)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Drop down to an A4-5300 (as long as you don't need 3D) and Seasonic SS-300ET -- that should do it.

What is the lowest level CPU (or CPU/GPU combo) that could handle 3D? I'm looking for the same as OP, but I would need 3D support.
(2013-04-25, 10:58)banned spammer Wrote: <snipped>

Hahahaha. Bugger off autobot!

mod edit:
Please do not quote spammers, it takes more time to also have to modify your post to get rid of the spam.
Just press the report button and we will ban their asses faster than you know Smile
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Building cheap without sacrificing features0