Req Music Library editing
I guess not!
The music library works well when you keep things simple. I love the tablet and web interfaces. But there are a lot of kinks that need work.

I think the dependency on folder structure for artist nfo is the wrong way to go. The ability to read one common artist.nfo file with multiple artists inside would be much simpler to maintain for a large library. Custom art assignment is important to many users because artist information available on the scrapers is very limited unless you only listen to mainstream stuff.

Losing your library because you update when the source is not available can be a pain. Its also an emotional event to see all that hard work just disappear. Yes, re-scanning a library is not a huge deal, but often much of the scraped info is lost and custom local art assignments are lost as well. Just turn off automatic library updates and only do them manually....that should be the default.

A major overhaul is not needed. It doesn't need to be feature loaded either, imo. Just needs some work to be a little more friendly.
(2013-08-05, 13:36)whitebelly Wrote: I think the dependency on folder structure for artist nfo is the wrong way to go. The ability to read one common artist.nfo file with multiple artists inside would be much simpler to maintain for a large library. Custom art assignment is important to many users because artist information available on the scrapers is very limited unless you only listen to mainstream stuff.

Forgive me if I misunderstand they exact way xbmc handles metadata, but why do we need nfos at all, when can just use the existing ID3 tags?

I also agree that custom art assignment is important and I am highly reliant on it myself. However I do think you can edit advancesettings.xml to cater for custom naming schemes. I'm not sure how robust this method is though.
(2013-08-15, 15:33)phool Wrote: Forgive me if I misunderstand they exact way xbmc handles metadata, but why do we need nfos at all, when can just use the existing ID3 tags?

Tags work great for simple album/artist/genre type info, but for one paragraph artist or album descriptions, or for local thumb/fanart assignment for artists, its not as elegant because you'd repeat the same information in a large number of songs, making change management a real PITA. nfo's are easy ways to define that type of information. Other approaches could work as well. But the way things are now re-scraping a large music library is always an undertaking that is a dread rather than a pleasure. Conversely, video libraries with local stored nfo/xml/fanart are a breeze.
(2013-08-03, 07:57)ozgadgetguy Wrote: 2. I see no way to "clear" erroneous library information for audio, other than removing the whole source, at which point you get the option to remove the content from the library. I'm having to do this on a daily basis followed by a rescan in order to fix folder art issues. With videos the workaround is to set the scraper to none for a particular folder and you then get asked if you want to remove the content. I have made a specific post on this one but no answer so far.

Not sure if it changed but in Gotham you can fix the problem fairly easily BUT you still need to apply changes with other software first. Fix the files with your software tools. Once back in XBMC exit library view and navigate to the specific file using the files menu (NOT FILe MANAGER), bring up content menu © and select "Scan Item to Library". No need to remove the whole source and library and re-scan.

For now I keep a notepad at hand to make notes. Frustration, it would've taken me less time to go menu, edit tag, type and hit OK than the time it takes to write down the filename, issue and then EXTREMELY important, the file path. XBMC does not take you to the same spot when you switch Library view, so if you forget you have to search again and hope you find a needle in a haystack.
The music library works well overall.

If you have an erroneous tag, just edit the tag and update the library. Very simple actually.

I'd prefer they stay away from custom fields, as they tend to be needed by the few rather than the many and it makes things a bit more complicated. You might be able to do some customizations.

I don't have a girlfriend, I'm married.

As for home video content separate from TV & Movie... do some reading of the wiki and searching of the forums.
Hi whitebelly. I edited my post, way to long and not explained well, I'll post it again after I reviewed it. English is my 2nd language and it abandoned me at 3 am, so did my girlfriend and now I'm married to XBMC )-
Bottom line is, if you have a lot of errors in your tagging, you will have to do a lot of work to clean it up. This is best done outside of XBMC, with something like MP3Tag. XBMC was never intended to be a tag editor.

Updating the entire library should replace any old info with the corrected info, no need to delete and re-add sources or to just re-scan individual files or folders. If that is not happening, then come back with a description of the problem along with a debug log.

I do have frustration with how artist art and info is handled, which is mostly due to my dislike of the dependency on the ARTIST/ALBUM folder structure. I just deal with it, as its my choice.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Library editing0