Possible Hardware from a Big Boy
I just saw this and instantly thought XBMC.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/24/samsu...t-top-box/
I know they say it can play 1080p, but they don't give any info on the GPU. If it can its a nice option.

Actual Samsung link. http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=22348

Why do you want to know the GPU? It has nothing todo with video. Better find ook de SoC manufactor, then you can figure out the components yourself.
Just because they say it plays 1080p doesn't mean this device will work perfectly with XBMC. Android support with XBMC is young.

I just bought one of these Samsung Homesync and was hoping XBMC would run great on it.

Frodo stable and Gotham Beta/ Beta2 works on SD video but not good at all with 720p or 1080p.

I installed an old Libestagefright nightly build and to my surprise it plays some 1080p movies without any trouble and most 720p without any trouble at all.

the problem i found with the old nightly build is that xbmc video dectection and scanning crashes the app. But for me its ok to just browse for the video i want to stream

I stream via Wifi from a SMB share on a NAS.

wifi speed at about 30-60MB/s
Samsung bought Boxee. I wonder if this is the first result of that.
Nope, it was announced way before they bought Boxee and it's standard Android with their own launcher.
The problem with this device is you need a Samsung phone or app to control it. This article is from 2013, so I would be careful investing in something like this as they tend to drop support for official Android updates after 1 - 1.5 years... On the android side of things I would reckon that the Ouya is more bang for your buck.
I use a wireless mouse to control the Samsung HomeSync.

Much of the shipped features of the HomeSync do indeed require a Samsung phone. But if you plan to use it for XBMC and other Android apps you can control it with keyboard and mouse or install any other remote control application.

I would not say it is worth its original price. I bought it for a reduced price, 750kr (about us100$) and so far its well worth it.

Just wish stable XBMC frodo or XBMC gotham beta would work
(2013-02-24, 17:59)j1nx Wrote: Why do you want to know the GPU? It has nothing todo with video. Better find ook de SoC manufactor, then you can figure out the components yourself.

Because Gotham supports hardware decoding which vastly improves video playback (if I'm not mistaken).

Gotham playback on my S3 is much better than on Frodo.

But that's just my user experience.
The GPU of the Samsung HomeSync is a Mali-T604.

XBMC runs at 1920x1080 and it is not possible to change that to a lower res.

OpenGL ES 2.0

Gotham does not run any good on this device. But the Libstagefright nightly builds is very good and i stream 1080p over WiFi with almost no trouble.

(2014-03-27, 20:40)tential Wrote:
(2013-02-24, 17:59)j1nx Wrote: Why do you want to know the GPU? It has nothing todo with video. Better find ook de SoC manufactor, then you can figure out the components yourself.

Because Gotham supports hardware decoding which vastly improves video playback (if I'm not mistaken).

The GPU of the Samsung HomeSync is a Mali-T604.

XBMC runs at 1920x1080 and it is not possible to change that to a lower res.

OpenGL ES 2.0

Gotham does not run any good on this device. But the Libstagefright nightly builds is very good and i stream 1080p over WiFi with almost no trouble.

Sure, Gotham supports hardware video decoding, but the GPU is not taking care of that. It is commonly done by a separate "boohoo big secret" chip, commonly called the VPU.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Possible Hardware from a Big Boy0