This add-on will close or minimize XBMC, launch Steam in Big Picture Mode and when Steam BPM is exited (either by quitting steam or returning to the desktop) XBMC will restart or maximize. It works with Windows, Linux, Android and OSX (With OSX xbmc will only restart after quiting steam completely). A nice bonus is Steam also comes with a full featured web browser that can be controlled with a game pad or remote and plays back flash content. XBMCbuntu users see the bottom of this post for a guide to setup Steam. Linux users need the program 'wmctrl' installed.
- Select whether to quit XBMC: Options are Yes, No and Ask.
- Set the paths for both XBMC and Steam.
- Run commands pre/post steam. The addon will wait for the commands to finish before continuing.
- Delete scripts and update on next run - delete the OS specific scripts out of the profile://addon_data directory and copy them from the addon install directory the next time the addon is run. This is handy if you want to go back to the default scripts or if the bundled scripts have been updated. Only the relevant script file for the operating system in use will be deleted and the setting is turned off (to default) when run once.
- Configurable timeout for "Busy Dialog" after running addon.
- Run XBMC in portable mode (as far as I can tell OSX doesn't support portable mode and enabling this will cause XBMC not to restart).
- Toggle script update notification.
- Toggle file location checks.
The scripts used by this addon can be customised to suit your needs, they reside in the xbmc/userdata/addon_data/script.steam.launcher/scripts folder. They are copied into that directory from the addon install directory on first run and can be set to not be over written with updates. In either SteamLauncher-AHK.ahk or steam-launch.sh the line steam.launcher.script.revision=001 is what the addon reads to determine if the scripts are up to date, set it to 999 for custom scripts. Script files contain info for editing.
If you have a problem with the addon, make sure to include a XBMC log file!
Steam, Linux and Lirc.
Speeding up Steam and installing on a SSD.
SteamOS + Ubuntu
Steam Launcher with XBMCbuntu 13.
XBMC and SteamOS
For automatic updates you can install my repo. Code can be found on GitHub.