• 7(current)
[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi
Thanks for the replies guys.

I've tried everything suggested and the new version but still no joy, my path are correct. So when running the bat file in command line I get the message (paraphrased) "This version of Steamlauncher-AHK.exe is not compatible with the version of windows you are running. Check whether 32 bit or 64 bit version required and contact the software publisher".

So I've got autohotkey installed and it's 32 bit... is there something I've missed?
Nah, ii think its something I've missed - I don't have a 32bit machine to test on. Can you navigate to the scripts folder (location in first post) and recompile the ahk script (if you've got AHK installed you can do this by right clicking on steam-launch-AHK.ahk) and see if that works? The version I compiled was on a 64bit machine.
New version in first post, 0.5.1
Code:
Recompiled AHK script using 32bit AHK, fixes script not working on win32
Linux version now makes the steam-launch.sh script executable when run, no need to manually do it (it annoyed the hell out of me!).
I can't get Steam to run in Openbox on XBMCbuntu, even though I followed the instructions in the separate post. I tried it both from XBMC with the Steam Launcher and with the "steam" command in a Terminal. The strange thing is that it works just fine when I log into a "XBMCbuntu" session, at least via Terminal (didn't try via Steam Launcher, but theoretically it should work just fine). So it seems to be an issue with Openbox. I tried installing the proprietary AMD drivers but unfortunately that didn't help at all (at least with Steam in Openbox, it fixed the HDMI Audio Output though).

This is the output from "steam > log.txt" in a Openbox Terminal:
Code:
Running Steam on ubuntu 12.10 32-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1383158641_client)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1383158641_client)
unlinked 1 orphaned pipes
removing stale semaphore last operated on by process 14749 with name 0eBlobRegistryMutex_598B0DEA3030A6C21A2313EBC905CB8B
removing stale semaphore last operated on by process 14749 with name 0eBlobRegistrySignal_598B0DEA3030A6C21A2313EBC905CB8B
removing stale semaphore last operated on by process 14749 with name 0emSteamEngineInstance
removing stale semaphore last operated on by process 14749 with name 0eSteamEngineLock
[1106/165854:WARNING:proxy_service.cc(958)] PAC support disabled because there is no system implementation
[xcb] Unknown sequence number while appending request
[xcb] Most likely this is a multi-threaded client and XInitThreads has not been called
[xcb] Aborting, sorry about that.
steam: ../../src/xcb_io.c:160: append_pending_request: Assertion `!xcb_xlib_unknown_seq_number' failed.
[2013-11-06 16:58:53] Startup - updater built Oct  7 2013 12:10:55
Looks like steam didn't shutdown cleanly, scheduling immediate update check
[2013-11-06 16:58:53] Checking for update on startup
[2013-11-06 16:58:53] Checking for available updates...
[2013-11-06 16:58:53] Download skipped: /client/steam_client_ubuntu12 version 1383158641, installed version 1383158641
[2013-11-06 16:58:53] Nothing to do
[2013-11-06 16:58:53] Verifying installation...
[2013-11-06 16:58:53] Performing checksum verification of executable files
[2013-11-06 16:58:53] BVerifyInstalledFiles: steam.sh is 21689 bytes, expected 22072
[2013-11-06 16:58:53] BVerifyInstalledFiles: ubuntu12_32/steam is 3448966 bytes, expected 3456286
[2013-11-06 16:58:53] Verification complete
[2013-11-06 16:58:53] BRepairInstalledFiles: ignoring bootstrap file ubuntu12_32/steam
[2013-11-06 16:58:53] BRepairInstalledFiles: ignoring bootstrap file steam.sh
Uploading dump (out-of-process) [proxy '']
/tmp/dumps/crash_20131106165853_1.dmp
/home/user/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 717: 14913 Aborted                 (core dumped) $STEAM_DEBUGGER "$STEAMROOT/$PLATFORM/$STEAMEXE" "$@"
Finished uploading minidump (out-of-process): success = yes
response: CrashID=bp-e0a6ff32-bc76-4387-b351-086a32131106

Anyone has an idea? I'm pretty new to linux, so I'm running out of ideas here. I know this isn't really a Steam Launcher problem, but I don't know where else to ask. The only search result on Google with a similar issue was fixed by replacing the Nouveau drivers with the proprietary Nvidia drivers (hence me trying the same for my AMD card, but with the AMD drivers of course), but as mentioned before that didn't help at all.
The lines with 'xcb' look suspect, and googling 'steam Linux xcb' shows that a few people have the problem, but I couldn't see any definite fixes. One was disabling game overlay, another was updating steam and/or AMD drivers to the latest betas. Strange that it works in the xbmcbuntu session though - I haven't used the openbox session in xbmcbuntu since I wrote that post, but on my htpc I don't get that error when running steam via openbox (nvidia GPU).

Someone else here may have a better understanding of the error and a fix, but I think the best place to try would be the steam-linux github page, the Google search above showed a couple of existing bug reports.

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux

EDIT: are you using the included proprietary amd drivers in xbmcbuntu or drivers from the xswat/xorg-edgers ppa?
I made a new discovery. It seems like it isn't the combination with Openbox, but the attempt to launch Steam directly into the Big Picture mode. It's the same in the xbmcbuntu session, so there's that. I will have a look at the github page, thanks.

I'm using the AMD drivers from Ubuntu's Software Manager (fglrx-update). I tried to manually download and install the newest beta drivers from AMDs website, and although I was able to generate the distro specific packages, there were some errors and the installation aborted. But I'll probably try again.

EDIT:
Big Picture (and Games) work just fine when I first start steam to the default interface. So that's one thing that's kind of weird. Another thing is that Steam (in Big Picture mode) tells me that my video card only has 256MB of memory, although it has 1024MB (AMD Radeon HD 7800M).

I think the drivers from the Ubuntu Software Sources are pretty old though, so I might going to try the manual install again.

EDIT 2:
I was able to install the newest beta drivers and now it works, so in the end still a driver issue.

Sadly the performance is pretty bad, even though a HD 7800M should be enough for some games. Steam still thinks my video card has only 256MB of RAM, but I don't know if this has an influence on the performance.

Thanks a lot for your help and of course for your Add-on Smile
Hi, bit of a newbie but really want this addon to work as it would take out the fuss of keeping my games up to date in XBMC. Be one of the most useful addons for me if someone could help... I think I know where the problem lies but dont know the solution as like I say, im a newbie.

When I launch the addon it comes up with an error "failed attempt to launch program or document, Action - C:\Program files 86x\Steam\Steam.exe:". I believe this is due to the fact that I have Steam in a non-standard location (D:\Games\Steam\Steam.exe) but for the life of me I cant find how or what I'm meant to change. Can someone point me in the right direction as unfortunately in this instance I need my hand held.

Many thanks in advance and to the people who've made this addon, well done, good job! (once I have working that it :o)
Paste the following into the windows file explorer address bar:

Code:
notepad %appdata%\XBMC\addons\script.steam.launcher\resources\scripts\steam-launch.bat

Notepad should open. Edit the section between the #'s, the included example is what you need to change line 19 to.
Your an absolute star teeedubb! Works perfectly and takes me one step closer to having an Uber setup!!! Cheers fella Big Grin
I just wanted to say thank you. I used this add on early on but only recently updated it to a much more functional version. This has turned my HTPC into an HTPC/Steam Box and it's really replaced my consoles as the gaming platform of choice. It's thanks to you that I was so nicely able to integrate Steam BPM into my XBMC box.
Does this addon work in Gotham yet?

I'm getting a dependencies not met error when trying to install it.
Cheers guys, glad you like the addon. Big Grin

(2013-12-06, 06:47)BraveBuc Wrote: Does this addon work in Gotham yet?

Update in first post - 0.5.2
Code:
Changes to addon.xml to make compatible with recent Gotham builds
(2013-12-06, 12:41)teeedubb Wrote: Cheers guys, glad you like the addon. Big Grin

(2013-12-06, 06:47)BraveBuc Wrote: Does this addon work in Gotham yet?

Update in first post - 0.5.2
Code:
Changes to addon.xml to make compatible with recent Gotham builds

Wow, I had to wait a whopping six hours! Tongue

Works perfect in Gotham now. Thanks!!
I'll show my ignorance on setting this up for xbmcbuntu. In your post you say to run this code:

Code:
echo "xsetroot -solid black &" >> $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart.sh && echo "/usr/bin/xbmc &" >> $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart.sh && chmod +x $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart.sh

I'm running it in the terminal, but it does nothing. So I'm sure I'm not doing something right. Where do I put this code? I don't think it was very clear on that.

Also - stupid question: Do you need an emulator to play the games? How do you load your ROMs into STEAM? I'm not a huge gamer guy- just think it would be cool to view ROM collection like the video library in XBMC and launch from XBMC -play with controller - close, go back to xbmc.
This is perfect! Thanks Big Grin
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi7