• 19(current)
[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi
2. Looks like its not loading the openbox desktop, but the xbmcbuntu desktop (lxde). Openbox is a blank screen. Can you select openbox as the session to use from the login screen? You can use lxde if you want, theres a recent post in this thread with info on how to auto start xbmc with lxde.

3. Installing the driver and rebooting (or reloading the xpad module) is all that is needed. Simple way to tell if its working is by the lights on the Xbox controller - they flash with the in kernel driver but work properly with the steamos driver. You can reinstall the driver with 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure steamos-xpad' . I have never been able to get xboxdrv to work with xbmc so I don't know if its any better. Xpad works fine in the majority of the handful of games + emulators I have tried on linux, with metro last light one game thats not working properly and I have read it works better with xboxdrv, but that game runs really bad on Linux so I haven't looked into it. I do all my gaming in windows so I only really ever use the 360 pad to reboot from Linux to windows.
To get xpad working with xbmc you probably need to add the controller device name to the xbmc xbix360 keymap file (copy it from /usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps/ to ~/.xbmc/user data/keymaps/ and then modify it) see here for some info http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=135871

Question: have you installed both the addon and my repo? If so, did they both install OK?
Yup, both the repo and the add-on installed very smoothly.

I'm not able to select Openbox from the login screen; at least not by clicking on the "wrench." It still just says xbmcbuntu and xbmc.

Regarding the xpad driver, I still have the green flashing circle. I added the repo but "sudo dpkg-reconfigure steamos-xpad" results in a message that "steamos-xpad" is not installed. Sad
Thanks to ratzofftoya's updated guide I've pretty much got everything going now! Thank you!

(2014-05-09, 18:45)ratzofftoya Wrote: I'm not able to select Openbox from the login screen; at least not by clicking on the "wrench." It still just says xbmcbuntu and xbmc.

When you do get openbox working (sorry, no advice here) you'll probably have to rename "autostart.sh" to "autostart". I.e. the line should look like this instead:

Code:
echo "xsetroot -solid black &" >> $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart && echo "/usr/bin/xbmc &" >> $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart && chmod +x $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart

Don't know why but I noticed it wasn't working (XBMC didn't start and I had grey background) and that the package installation had created a "autostart" file, so it just figured it was looking for it there.

(2014-05-09, 18:45)ratzofftoya Wrote: Regarding the xpad driver, I still have the green flashing circle. I added the repo but "sudo dpkg-reconfigure steamos-xpad" results in a message that "steamos-xpad" is not installed. Sad

I had to also install the package xboxdrv and re-plug my wired Xbox 360 controller. Actually, I have to re-plug every time I boot unfortunately. But after that it works great.

Now I just need to figure out how to get sound working in Openbox/Steam. I found the correct device and I've added it to /etc/asoundrc.conf but I just doesn't work...
(2014-05-10, 00:20)jgabor Wrote: Now I just need to figure out how to get sound working in Openbox/Steam. I found the correct device and I've added it to /etc/asoundrc.conf but I just doesn't work...

Did you set up dmixer in asoundrc.conf, as well? Also, try just dropping ".asoundrc" (without the .conf extension) in your home folder.

Quote:I had to also install the package xboxdrv and re-plug my wired Xbox 360 controller. Actually, I have to re-plug every time I boot unfortunately. But after that it works great.

Any reason you're going with xboxdrv rather than the updated SteamOS xpad version? I was using xboxdrv before but I had to manually start it every time I booted up for some reason.
(2014-05-10, 00:34)ratzofftoya Wrote: Did you set up dmixer in asoundrc.conf, as well? Also, try just dropping ".asoundrc" (without the .conf extension) in your home folder.

I copied your file and just changed the hw-parameter. But I'll try some more stuff tomorrow.

(2014-05-10, 00:34)ratzofftoya Wrote: Any reason you're going with xboxdrv rather than the updated SteamOS xpad version? I was using xboxdrv before but I had to manually start it every time I booted up for some reason.

I found a thread on askubuntu.com that said that you should have both installed:

Quote:No need to install and run xboxdrv because at present the controller appears to be recognized. Do not blacklist the Xpad kernel module as was recommended in older tutorials.

So I installed xboxdrv after installing steamos-xpad-dkms. If you can't get steamos-xpad-dkms because the PPA don't have a package for trusty get, just modify the source-file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

I just deleted the existing one since I mostly needed the GPG-keys from the PPA and created a new one called /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mdeslaur-steamos-precise.list with the following contents:

Code:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/mdeslaur/steamos/ubuntu precise main
# deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/mdeslaur/steamos/ubuntu precise main
(2014-05-10, 00:56)jgabor Wrote: I copied your file and just changed the hw-parameter. But I'll try some more stuff tomorrow.
Cool, let us know what works in case it helps others!

Quote:I found a thread on askubuntu.com that said that you should have both installed:

Quote:No need to install and run xboxdrv because at present the controller appears to be recognized. Do not blacklist the Xpad kernel module as was recommended in older tutorials.

So I installed xboxdrv after installing steamos-xpad-dkms.

Maybe try taking off xboxdrv and see if it works just with the steamos-xpad-dkms?

Quote:If you can't get steamos-xpad-dkms because the PPA don't have a package for trusty get, just modify the source-file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

I just deleted the existing one since I mostly needed the GPG-keys from the PPA and created a new one called /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mdeslaur-steamos-precise.list with the following contents:

Code:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/mdeslaur/steamos/ubuntu precise main
# deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/mdeslaur/steamos/ubuntu precise main

Cool, got it. I'll try that. I think my problem for now was that I just did "sudo apt-get install steamos-xpad" rather than "sudo apt-get install steamos-xpad-dkms" after adding the PPA.
(2014-05-10, 01:14)ratzofftoya Wrote: Maybe try taking off xboxdrv and see if it works just with the steamos-xpad-dkms?

It didn't work at all in XBMC without xboxdrv, that's what got me googling for a solution to it. None of the buttons worked in XBMC, but they worked fine in Steam BPM.
Hi all,

I tried this plugin in xbmc gotham. I'm running xbmc as window manager (not standalone). OS is ubuntu 13.10 (can't change that cause of i7 graphics).

The plug-in run almost perfect on the first run.

The problem is that it starts and stays "behind" xbmc. I can only see a very small portion of steam BP at the bottom of the screen (because it makes xbmc to go to windowed mode which is a bit smaller than fullscreen).

Any ideas ?? Smile
whats the output of

Code:
DISPLAY=:0 wmctrl -l

with steam running?
How can I do that with xbmc and steam running ?

From ssh it doesn't work.

It says "Cannot get client list properties." (tried both with steam running and not).
Looks like youre not running a window manager. From what Ive seen steam needs a window manager - the bpm interface might work but launching a game always results in a blank screen. Plus the addon requires wmctrl to detect whether steam is in bpm or desktop mode.
I've made another installation of xbmc about 2 years ago and had made steam "integrated" with xbmc.
Meaning a menu with the list of all games, and direct launch of the games - not bpm. The games were running perfectly with xbmc as the window manager (no unity or whatever).

But it was a lot of hand made scripts and menus... And every new game required its own custom script.

Back then, your add-on did not exist of course.
So I wanted to give it a try to avoid all the hard work...

Maybe something irrelevant is messing with it. Like the fact that this time I'm using a laptop with a TV connected via HDMI.
I have disabled the LVDS (the laptop's) monitor, and made the HDMI the primary one of course.

I will keep trying to figure it out..

If you or someone else thinks of anything I would rather appreciate it ! Smile
Steam Launcher + XBMCbuntu v13

Steam BPM will not work in the XBMC session as it appears Steam BPM (and wmctrl too, which the addon uses to detect whether Steam is in BPM) needs a windows manager to run properly, plus by default the addon kills xbmc which causes the session to restart - it needs to be run from a desktop session, either XBMCbuntu or Openbox, both of which are included in XBMCbuntu. You can try running Steam BPM in the XBMC session via SSH to see for yourself the problems it has with the following command:
Code:
DISPLAY=:0 steam -bigpicture

To configure XBMCbuntu to boot to a Openbox session, which includes a window manager, that autostarts XBMC either log in via SSH or exit xbmc and log into the XBMCbuntu desktop session, open a terminal and enter the following:

*Update the system and install wmctrl:
Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get install wmctrl

*Install Steam
Code:
wget http://media.steampowered.com/client/installer/steam.deb && sudo dpkg -i steam.deb
If you get errors regarding dependencies you need to run sudo apt-get -f install

*Enable Openbox:
Code:
sudo mv /usr/share/xsessions/openbox.desktop.dis /usr/share/xsessions/openbox.desktop

Set Openbox as the default session:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
and change the whole line beginning with user-session= to user-session=Openbox
ctrl + x to exit.
If this doesnt set the Openbox session to auto-boot, exit XBMC and at the login screen press 'F9' to open the windowmanager selection box and select Openbox there.

Set the Openbox background to black and XBMC to auto start:
Code:
mkdir -p $HOME/.config/openbox/ && echo "export DISPLAY=:0" >> $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart.sh && echo "xsetroot -solid black &" >> $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart.sh && echo "/usr/bin/xbmc &" >> $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart.sh && chmod +x $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart.sh

*To get audio out of both Steam BPM and games you need either PulseAudio or a ~/.asoundrc file with dmix enabled. Both methods resample audio to mix together multiple streams, so they can reduce the quality of audio coming out of XBMC, but of course YMMV - the PulseAudio wiki entry has a good pro's/con's list of both. For me PA was by far easiest to get working - surround sound/passthrough and bluetooth headset worked with zero config, plus it seems like Steam is designed to use PA. It is possible to start/stop PA as needed to get the best of both worlds. ALSA with dmix is tricker to setup and the config below will give you 2ch sound and probably no mic, but there are many more examples on the net. You need to edit the line with pcm "hw:0,3" to suit your system, use aplay -l to see available devices (in the example 0 is the card, 3 is the device).

-For ALSA:
Code:
nano ~/.asoundrc
and paste in the following:
Code:
# first set oss apps to use dmixer
pcm.dsp {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dsp0 {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

# this makes native ALSA apps default to using dmix
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "dmixer"

}

ctl.!default {
        type hw
        card 0
        }

pcm.dmixer  {
        type dmix
        ipc_key 101
        slave {
            pcm "hw:0,3"
            period_time 0
            period_size 1024
            buffer_size 4096
            rate 44100
        }
        bindings {
            0 0
            1 1
        }
    }

-For PulseAudio:
Installation of PulseAudio is blocked by default on XBMCbuntu:
Code:
sudo mv /etc/apt/preferences.d/libasound2-plugins.pref /etc/apt/preferences.d/libasound2-plugins.pref.bak && sudo mv /etc/apt/preferences.d/pulseaudio.pref /etc/apt/preferences.d/pulseaudio.pref.bak
Install PA (I also had to install pulseaudio-module-bluetooth to get a bluetooth headset working):
Code:
sudo apt-get install pulseaudio libasound2-plugins
Disable autospawing of PA:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/pulse/client.conf
and add the following to the bottom of the file:
Code:
autospawn = no
daemon-binary = /bin/true
You need a basic ~/.asoundrc file pointing to the default ALSA device so it's automatically selected when PA isnt running. XBMCbuntu should auto generate one, but in case here is a example (You need to edit the card and device, use aplay -l to see available devices):
Code:
pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card 0
    device 7
    }

ctl.!default {
    type hw
    card 0
    device 7
    }
In xbmc's settings select the default ALSA device (make sure PA isnt running).
Now you need to pre/post steam scripts to start/stop PA and after creating them configure the addon to launch pre/post scripts:
pre-steam.sh
Code:
#!/bin/bash
#change the KILL_XBMC_BEFORE_STARTING_PULSEAUDIO= to yes if you want to stop xbmc before starting pulseaudio
#killing xbmc before starting pulseaudio will ensure the steam bpm gui has sound but will reduce the seamlessness of the addon

KILL_XBMC_BEFORE_STARTING_PULSEAUDIO=no

if [[ $KILL_XBMC_BEFORE_STARTING_PULSEAUDIO = yes ]] ; then
  kill -9 $(pidof xbmc.bin)
fi

pulseaudio --start
post-steam.sh
Code:
#!/bin/bash
#change the ALWAYS_KILL_PULSEAUDIO_BEFORE_STARTING_XBMC= to yes if you want to stop pulseaudio before starting xbmc
#killing pulseaudio before starting xbmc will ensure that xbmc always uses alsa, but steam may not like having pulseaudio stopped while steam is still running (via 'exit to desktop')

ALWAYS_KILL_PULSEAUDIO_BEFORE_STARTING_XBMC=no

if [[ $ALWAYS_KILL_PULSEAUDIO_BEFORE_STARTING_XBMC = yes ]] ; then
  pulseaudio -k
fi

#change the KILL_PULSEAUDIO_ONLY_WHEN_COMPLETELY_EXITING_STEAM= to no if you dont want to stop pulseaudio only when completely exiting steam
#if yes xbmc will use pulseaudio when steam is running (via 'exit to desktop')
#change the SECONDS_TO_WAIT= to alter the time to wait after closing BPM to check if steam is still running, 2 seconds is good for my system although this could vary from system to system. This will cause xbmc to take 2 seconds longer to restart.

KILL_PULSEAUDIO_ONLY_WHEN_COMPLETELY_EXITING_STEAM=yes
SECONDS_TO_WAIT=2

if [[ $KILL_PULSEAUDIO_ONLY_WHEN_COMPLETELY_EXITING_STEAM = yes ]] ; then
  sleep $SECONDS_TO_WAIT
  if [[ ! $(pidof steam) ]] ; then
    pulseaudio -k
  fi
fi
Don't forget to make them executable.

Now PA will be running whenever steam is launched via the addon, so when you 'exit to desktop' from BPM xbmc will use PA and automatically use ALSA when PA isnt running. (As of writing I needed the beta steam client to consistently get BPM gui sounds)

*To return to the XBMCbuntu login screen right click on the desktop and select Log Out, or via SSH/terminal:
Code:
openbox --exit

Reboot to check that it all works and make the changes take effect. After restarting install the addon and for automatic updates install the repo too, links in first post. Now the addon will be available under "Programs", follow the prompts to finish setup. First time Steam runs you need a keyboard/mouse enter password to install extra packages for steam and to accept the EULA. Steam may or may not start in BPM on the first run, I dont remember...

*Optional: Updating graphics drivers (nvidia only) - Ubuntu 14.04 uses nvidia-304 by default, which I have found to be a lot slower than newer versions with games. To update to the latest in the trusty repos:
Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-331-updates
Newer drivers than the ones in Ubuntu's repo's can be found in this PPA.

*Optional: Ubuntu uses the xpad driver for 360 controllers, although there are others available - xboxdrv and Valve's xpad driver. You can install valves driver from this PPA, it fixes the flashing ring of light issue, plus others. This should hopefully be in the 3.15 kernel:
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mdeslaur/steamos
Update and install driver:
Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install steamos-xpad-dkms
Also read through this post to have wireless controllers work without restarting xbmc. And this one to enable the driver to be automatically rebuilt with kernel updates.

*Optional: For a better Openbox right click menu that contains entries for Steam, Steam BPM, XBMC, Chromium and others:
Code:
sudo apt-get install menu
nano ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml
And paste in the following:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<openbox_menu xmlns="http://openbox.org/"
        xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
        xsi:schemaLocation="http://openbox.org/
                file:///usr/share/openbox/menu.xsd">

<menu id="root-menu" label="Openbox 3">
  <item label="Terminal">
    <action name="Execute"><execute>x-terminal-emulator</execute></action>
  </item>
  <item label="Chromium">
    <action name="Execute"><execute>chromium-browser</execute></action>
  </item>
  <item label="PCManFM">
    <action name="Execute"><execute>dbus-launch pcmanfm</execute></action>
  </item>
<item label="XBMC">
    <action name="Execute"><execute>xbmc</execute></action>
  </item>
  <item label="Steam">
    <action name="Execute"><execute>steam</execute></action>
  </item>
  <item label="Steam BPM">
    <action name="Execute"><execute>~/.config/openbox/steam-bpm.sh</execute></action>
  </item>
  <!-- This requires the presence of the 'menu' package to work -->
  <menu id="/Debian" />
  <separator />
<item label="Reboot">
    <action name="Execute">
        <prompt>Are you sure you want to reboot?</prompt>
<execute>dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest="org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit" /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Restart</execute>                                                                                                                                              
    </action>                                                                                                                                                  
</item>                                                                                                                                                        

<item label="Shutdown">                                                                                                                                        
    <action name="Execute">                                                                                                                                    
        <prompt>Are you sure you want to shutdown?</prompt>                                                                                                                                              
        <execute>dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest="org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit" /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Stop</execute>
    </action>
</item>

<item label="Suspend">                                                        
    <action name="Execute">                                                    
        <prompt>Are you sure you want to suspend?</prompt>                    
        <execute>dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest="org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit" /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Suspend</execute>
    </action>
</item>

<item label="Log Out">
    <action name="Execute">
      <prompt>Are you sure you want to log-out?</prompt>
        <execute>openbox --exit</execute>
    </action>
  </item>
</menu>

</openbox_menu>
Create a script to launch Steam BPM, it needs a different command if steam is already running:
Code:
nano ~/.config/openbox/steam-bpm.sh && chmod +x ~/.config/openbox/steam-bpm.sh
and paste in the following:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

if [[ $(pidof steam) ]] ; then
    steam steam://open/bigpicture
else
    steam -bigpicture
fi

*Optional: If the Openbox background changes colour after running steam you need to use the program hsetroot to set the wallpaper:
Code:
sudo apt-get install hsetroot && echo "hsetroot -solid "#000000" &" >> ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh

*Optional: Install the program unclutter, it hides the mouse cursor after X seconds, useful for hiding the mouse in games/emulators.
Code:
sudo apt-get install unclutter && echo "unclutter -root &" >> ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh

*Optional: If you get tearing in games/fmv you can install a compositing manager, such as compton:
Code:
sudo apt-get install compton && echo "compton --backend glx --paint-on-overlay --glx-no-stencil --vsync opengl-swc & #--unredir-if-possible &" >> ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh

*Optional: Install bash-completion. Nothing to do with xbmc or steam, but it makes working in a terminal so much easier.

*Optional: If Steam complains about missing 32-bit libraries the first time you run it, the following command may help: sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib
@Kidlike: Running steam Desktop Mode in its own session I was able to launch Guacameele fine, but if I switched to BPM all I got was a blank screen after launching the game.
If you nut it out please post how you did it.

Same thing happens in a xbmc session.

EDIT searching though/posting on the steam-for-linux github page could help

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux
Hello

I just installed this addon in Gotham, using Windows 8.1.

It sucessfully launches steam BP and from there I launch Assetto Corsa (race sim). The game launches But it crashes whenever I try to start a race. This doesn't happen if I start Steam by clicking the desktop icon. It only happens if I start Steam using Steam Launcher. Any ideas on how to fix this?
  • 19(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi7