• 30(current)
[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi
Are you using xbmc launcher and/or something to force focus on xbmc? Because there is a small overlap with both programs it can cause steam to lose focus. Try this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1770560
Thanks for the reply.
The only thing I can think of is that I set XBMC to run from startup, I'm not sure whether this is then stealing the show, if you know what I mean?
I have now resolved this issue:
XBMC Launcher was set to run Windows Metro UI after exit so before steam could take precedence the Windows UI was coming up to focus.
After disabling this setting it was resolved, and this is brilliant - thank you!!!
For people running Intel hardware and Linux and want hardware acceleration (decoding) on their client, I had to add two more packages (besides a 1.3.2 or higher Intel driver, I'm currently running the one from Wolfgang Schupp and Steam and XBMC seem to work fine):

Code:
sudo apt-get install libva1:i386 libva-drm1:i386 libva-glx1:i386

Happy hardware decoding!
CoreElec on a tn95 (s905x). Onkyo NR-656. Canton Movie CD-1000. LG 55B6V.

If it ain't broke: break it, fix it, repeat
Are you talking about in-home streaming now? Is there a way of finding out if steam is using hardware decoding or not?

*edit* nevermind, didn't see the previous page Smile

Works like a charm on my NUC 2820. Finally got hardware decoding working.

So basically, as a reference for others passing this topic:
- ensure you are running the Steam beta client (I wasn't, took me too long to realise this :p)
- Add Wolfgang Schupp's PPA:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wsnipex/vaapi
sudo apt-get update

- Install the vaapi drivers and some extra requirements:
Code:
sudo apt-get install i965-va-driver libva-intel-vaapi-driver libva1:i386 libva-drm1:i386 libva-glx1:i386
Using XBMCbuntu on Intel NUC DN2820FYKH
I doubt very much that this has much of anything to do with the Steam Launcher plugin, but I thought I'd take a shot and ask here since it seemed like the most likely place to get an answer. I'm currently using the latest version of XBMC as well as the Steam Launcher. I've used Ice to add my emulators and ROMs to Steam's BPM but I'm having an odd problem. Intermittently, when I quit the emulator (zsnes for instance) and go back to Steam I often times get stuck hearing the last sound played through the emulator repeatedly. Sometimes it only lasts a second, sometimes it lasts quite a while and creates a very annoying noise. This only seems to happen when I launch the games through Steam and return to Steam after quitting the emulator. If I just launch the emulator from the executable and close it then the annoying sound doesn't occur. I was hoping someone here might have some insight to this.
No idea... how are you closing the emulator? force closing it might be causing it.. Try closing the emulator with its inbuilt mechanism. You'd probably have more success asking on the steam forums.
(2014-08-30, 10:13)teeedubb Wrote: No idea... how are you closing the emulator? force closing it might be causing it.. Try closing the emulator with its inbuilt mechanism. You'd probably have more success asking on the steam forums.

Thanks for the reply. I was asking here because I wasn't entirely sure whether the problem had anything to do with using the Steam Launcher but I think I've figured it out. I had previously just been using xpadder with Alt+F4 bound to one of the buttons of my xbox 360 controller. I switched from zsnes to snes9x though, giving me the ability to use Open GL. This allowed me to just use the Steam overlay and the home button on my controller to exit the emulator, which is one of the functionalities I was originally after anyway. It's working how I was hoping it would for the most part. When I hit the home button, it opens the Steam overlay giving me the option to quit the game. However, while the overlay is still up (meaning I haven't closed the game yet) the sounds of the game continue to run in the background at a reduced speed. I've chalked that up to the emulator being in the background and probably not receiving as much processing power.
Last question (I hope) and then I have my steam the way I want it. I have the steampad driver installed, but somehow, sometimes the ring still keeps flashing. Do I need to install something extra, or uninstall the native xbmcbuntu driver?

The dkms confog file with that ppa package isn't setup to recompile the driver after kernel updates. Have you tried what's in this post?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1754880
It works for me, but only after I connect my gamepad twice. It's a bit weird:

- Start up my NUC, connect wireless controller, entire ring starts flashing,
- Disconnect the gamepad (remove batteries)
- Reconnect gamepad, now I properly get 1 led lighting up.
(2014-09-01, 00:23)teeedubb Wrote: The dkms confog file with that ppa package isn't setup to recompile the driver after kernel updates. Have you tried what's in this post?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1754880

I'll look into that, it's not that it isn't working, only the light keeps flashing sometimes (most of the times, probably). That's why I thought maybe it's loading the native driver, which is known to work, but with a flashing ring.

(2014-09-01, 09:08)boe2 Wrote: It works for me, but only after I connect my gamepad twice. It's a bit weird:

Tried that, haven't had much luck with that. When I turn on the controller while booting xbmcbuntu, then my chances are best to I get 1 led are best.

(2014-09-01, 09:08)boe2 Wrote: It works for me, but only after I connect my gamepad twice. It's a bit weird:

Thats wierd... As far as I can tell that driver replaces the in-kernel driver and there is only one xpad driver that is able to be loaded. Have you changed the dkms.conf file? I havent seen flashing led's since I changed it. You can reload the driver with:

Code:
sudo rmmod xpad && sudo modprobe xpad

Also you can use "modinfo xpad" to see if the in-tree driver is being used or not - From a system without the valve xpad driver:

Code:
filename:       /lib/modules/3.17.0-999-generic/kernel/drivers/input/joystick/xpad.ko
license:        GPL
description:    X-Box pad driver
author:         Marko Friedemann <[email protected]>
srcversion:     5AD773EE0220F288275C187
alias:          usb:v24C6p*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip81in*
alias:          usb:v24C6p*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip01in*
alias:          usb:v1689p*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip81in*
alias:          usb:v1689p*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip01in*
alias:          usb:v0F0Dp*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip81in*
alias:          usb:v0F0Dp*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip01in*
alias:          usb:v1BADp*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip81in*
alias:          usb:v1BADp*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip01in*
alias:          usb:v146Bp*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip81in*
alias:          usb:v146Bp*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip01in*
alias:          usb:v1430p*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip81in*
alias:          usb:v1430p*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip01in*
alias:          usb:v12ABp*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip81in*
alias:          usb:v12ABp*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip01in*
alias:          usb:v0E6Fp*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip81in*
alias:          usb:v0E6Fp*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip01in*
alias:          usb:v0738p4540d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
alias:          usb:v0738p*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip81in*
alias:          usb:v0738p*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip01in*
alias:          usb:v046Dp*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip81in*
alias:          usb:v046Dp*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip01in*
alias:          usb:v045Ep*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc47ipD0in*
alias:          usb:v045Ep*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip81in*
alias:          usb:v045Ep*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip01in*
alias:          usb:v*p*d*dc*dsc*dp*ic58isc42ip00in*
depends:        ff-memless
intree:         Y
vermagic:       3.17.0-999-generic SMP mod_unload modversions
signer:         Magrathea: Glacier signing key
sig_key:        05:88:A9:5E:6B:F9:0F:86:4C:75:A6:73:5A:C4:76:B7:42:BF:B3:BC
sig_hashalgo:   sha512
parm:           dpad_to_buttons:Map D-PAD to buttons rather than axes for unknown pads (bool)
parm:           triggers_to_buttons:Map triggers to buttons rather than axes for unknown pads (bool)
parm:           sticks_to_null:Do not map sticks at all for unknown pads (bool)

With valve's xpad driver:
Code:
filename:       /lib/modules/3.17.0-999-generic/updates/dkms/xpad.ko
license:        GPL
description:    X-Box pad driver
author:         Marko Friedemann <[email protected]>
srcversion:     F14619C68DFA9C28DD9BB68
alias:          usb:v24C6p*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip81in*
alias:          usb:v24C6p*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip01in*
alias:          usb:v1689p*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip81in*
alias:          usb:v1689p*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip01in*
alias:          usb:v0F0Dp*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip81in*
alias:          usb:v0F0Dp*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip01in*
alias:          usb:v1BADp*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip81in*
alias:          usb:v1BADp*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip01in*
alias:          usb:v146Bp*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip81in*
alias:          usb:v146Bp*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip01in*
alias:          usb:v1430p*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip81in*
alias:          usb:v1430p*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip01in*
alias:          usb:v12ABp*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip81in*
alias:          usb:v12ABp*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip01in*
alias:          usb:v0E6Fp*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip81in*
alias:          usb:v0E6Fp*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip01in*
alias:          usb:v0738p4540d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
alias:          usb:v0738p*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip81in*
alias:          usb:v0738p*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip01in*
alias:          usb:v046Dp*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip81in*
alias:          usb:v046Dp*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip01in*
alias:          usb:v045Ep*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip81in*
alias:          usb:v045Ep*d*dc*dsc*dp*icFFisc5Dip01in*
alias:          usb:v*p*d*dc*dsc*dp*ic58isc42ip00in*
depends:        ff-memless
vermagic:       3.17.0-999-generic SMP mod_unload modversions
parm:           dpad_to_buttons:Map D-PAD to buttons rather than axes for unknown pads (bool)
parm:           triggers_to_buttons:Map triggers to buttons rather than axes for unknown pads (bool)
parm:           sticks_to_null:Do not map sticks at all for unknown pads (bool)

Note the "intree...." line and other differences. You can also use:

Code:
dmesg | grep -i 'taint'

To see if the driver has been loaded.
Wrong driver was loaded. I've edited the .conf file and did a rebuild/reboot etc. For now the led seems to be working fine. Thank you, again. Without your help I would've probably switched back to OpenElec and forgotten about Steam altogether Wink

Do you know if there's a way that xbmc detects the controller without restarting xbmc? If I boot xbmcbuntu and turn on the controller after xbmc is loaded, it will not detect the controller until I restart xbmc (but steam does and that's the most important thing). So that's just nice-to-have, if that's possible.

Quote:Also you can use "modinfo xpad" to see if the in-tree driver is being used or not - From a system without the valve xpad driver:
both when I got the full flashing ring as when I have the correct single led, I get an output starting with /lib/modules/3.13.0-30-generic/updates/dkms/xpad.ko

Quote:dmesg | grep -i 'taint'
[ 12.565364] xpad: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
  • 30(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Steam Launcher - Start Steam Big Picture Mode from within Kodi7