Dolby 5.1 not working for AC3 audio
This is on a Rapsberry Pi, I recently downloaded (1 week) XBMC from http://www.raspbmc.com/ so I assume it's up-to-date.

I am able to output audio just fine but the SR and SL channels do not work when playing a .vob with AC3 Dolby Digital 5.1.

The XBMC interface indicates that the file being played is in 5.1.

Output is over HDMI and has been tried both to a television which then sends the signal by optical SPDIF to the reciever/amp and also direct HDMI to the reciever/amp.

What should I try?
What does
tvservice -a
report? That will indicate if the hdmi device you are attached to supports passthough of AC3.

If the TV doesn't report AC3 support, you can use (in config.txt)
hdmi_force_edid_audio=1

and ensure AC3 passthough is enabled in xbmc settings, and that may make it work.
Can't report on output of tvservice -a until tomorrow but will do.

Have tried hdmi_force_edid_audio=1 and got no audio playing on speakers. Also have tried passing through the TV and direct to the receiver/amp.

No access to the device right now (it's for my parents) but an option for AC3 in the settings is definitely enabled, not sure if it's AC3 passthrough.
this would be more likely related to your TV. not all TV's are able to pass through audio from HDMI onto SPDIF, or better said there is not many what have such ability. most of the new (not older than 1-2 years) top models of good known makes should be able but not guaranteed. You need to check in your TV's user guide in detailed specification
Sorry to wake up this old thread but I have the exact same problem, no 5.1 audio although the info about the movie reports both Dolby Digital and 5.1 audio.

I'm positive my audio surround system supports AC3 5.1 audio because I've been watching the same movies with 5.1 audio before with no problem using the default OS in Boxee Box. Now I'm running XBMC from a USB stick and except for this 5.1 audio issue everything is working really nice!

I've tried playing around with all settings related to audio I've found but to no avail and when I bring up the OSD for my surround system it keeps reporting 2.0 audio coming from the Boxee Box when playing a 5.1 audio movie. I have the Boxee Box connected to my surround system using HDMI.

Maybe I just missed something obvious so if someone could help me out it would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys!
Have you checked the settings under "Audio output"? Is "Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver" checked?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dolby 5.1 not working for AC3 audio0