• 2(current)
Lenovo Q190 - Test results & 2 questions
Thanks again for the real-world test. Intel specs are known to be wrong. This might not satisfy the Googlists however Smile. I was amazed what the Celeron 847 could do. I'd like to see some Celeron 887 motherboards become available.
thanks mirwin, i am really interested in this box. the limit of what i'm looking for is something that will really fly with 1080p dts mkvs. my rpi isn't quite there although i'm amazed at how well it does.

can you comment on the noise from the Q190?
Nice machine! But can u turn it on from off (s5) with the optional Lenovo multimedia remote? Or any other remote?
(2013-02-28, 04:41)mirwin Wrote: Some responses to my first post were skeptical if the Q190 with a Celeron 887 could play 3D SBS films with True HD sound, but I have now tested with several different files on my 3D TV with active glasses and all looks fine to me.
Thanks for confirming it. I emailed Intel about their spec, and I haven't receive a reply from them....

(2013-02-28, 05:53)Dougie Fresh Wrote: This might not satisfy the Googlists however Smile.
Who doesn't Google these days?.....Tongue
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Hi,

ive been following this and many other treads trying to figure out if the best option is to build a HTPC using the many set ups suggested here or buy this Q190 or a zbox id83and leave it at that. i want a GROUP 7 HTPC and i was wondering if Q190 OR ZBOX id83 fall into that category at all?

Thanks for the help in advance.
To answer the earlier question about if Media Centre Remote control works well with Q190 I have been using www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003ZV3J72/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 cost £13 for the last week and it works very well Q190 on XMBC with Windows 8 or Openelec. Just plug and Play, no drivers to install, including waking and sending to sleep from remote. Though I plan to get Lenovo N5902A Remote when its available in UK.

Also as far as Q190 fan noise there is no difference running Openelec or Windows; the fan appears to run at the same speed all the time and as previously mentioned I can’t find anyway to change this, but it’s only noticeably in silent parts of any film. I have now put the Q190 in my Media Cabinet so I can’t hear it at any time.

And for those who are interested I have installed OpenElec on a USB stick which the Q190 boots from instantly from sleep with the remote control. If I want to use Windows I just remove the USB stick. Though I did discover that my crappy USB 2 stick get 19MB Read and 9MB Write speed when testing with CrsystalDiskMark, so I’ll replace with £16 SanDisk Extreme 16GB USB 3.0, which gets nearly 200MB Read and Write, i.e. SSD performance, which is also twice as fast as the 102MB Read and 97MB Write I got testing the Q190 built in 500GB HDD.
Thinking this is exactly what I need - I'm guessing the heavier skins don't cause any issues with this?

Want to move my Android box to a bedroom just so I can run Aeon Nox etc smoothly on the lounge setup Smile
Thanks for the review! For anyone else interested in purchasing one, Lenova is currently offering the base model for only $249 with coupon code USPQ500228 until March 8.
Has anyone come up with a way to deal with the fan problem?

This would be my main bug bearer.
I'm an absolute novice when it comes to this stuff.

My Lenovo Q190 has arrived today but I had to go to work before being able to set it up with XBMC etc - Obviously it comes with usb mouse and keyboard, so I need a remote for it.

I'm assuming the £16 posted above can not be setup to control my TV etc? Will I be needing a logitech harmony type remote to have a one for all remote?

Thanks,
Mirwin, - I can't find that specific model on the lenovo website, any chance you can do some photos of the box with the door open, the ports, power switch etc?

Is there any concern that this isn't available on ebuyer, dabs, scan, overclockers etc?
Amazon are decent but why is no one else stocking this, do they have exclusivity?

Cheers!
I just picked up the basic Lenevo Q190 model on Lenovo's site for $249 + free shipping !

Use coupon code USPQ500228. VALID TO 03/08/2013

Use coupon code USP1MA426678 to get $45 off lenovo Multimedia Remote with backlit keyboard N5902 $35 instead of $80!

• Intel Celeron Processor 887( 1.50GHz 1333MHz 2MB)
• Windows 8 64
• Intel Integrated HD Graphics
• 4.0GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz
• USB Keyboard and Mouse (Black)
• 500GB 5400 rpm
• Broadcom 11b/g/n Wi-Fi wireless
• One year
• Desktop
• 6-in-1 Card Reader
• HDMI (Out)

I was hoping to get some advice. Is an upgrade to 8GB going to drastically improve performance?
Any suggested upgrades?

I appreciate any help,

Gary
(2013-03-07, 05:09)GRS10605 Wrote: I just picked up the basic Lenevo Q190 model on Lenovo's site for $249 + free shipping !

Use coupon code USPQ500228. VALID TO 03/08/2013

Use coupon code USP1MA426678 to get $45 off lenovo Multimedia Remote with backlit keyboard N5902 $35 instead of $80!

• Intel Celeron Processor 887( 1.50GHz 1333MHz 2MB)
• Windows 8 64
• Intel Integrated HD Graphics
• 4.0GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz
• USB Keyboard and Mouse (Black)
• 500GB 5400 rpm
• Broadcom 11b/g/n Wi-Fi wireless
• One year
• Desktop
• 6-in-1 Card Reader
• HDMI (Out)

I was hoping to get some advice. Is an upgrade to 8GB going to drastically improve performance?
Any suggested upgrades?

I appreciate any help,

Gary

From my experiences there isn't any improvement with 8GB of memory added to a dedicated XBMC box running Windows. Now if you plan on doing other things like gaming on machine it would improve that. Furthermore if you plan on running openelec on this box anything over 2GB is a waste.
Thanks for the advice. I plan on using the computer to watch movies while my girlfriend surfs or uses Microsoft word. I can't wait for it to arrive. I have been using an apple tv 2 and can't wait to take advantage of the capabilities of my surround sound receiver. .
Can anyone confirm how the most ressource hungry skins work on the base Q190? I'm thinking of picking one up today whilst the sale lasts. Currently using an ATV2 and the only things that's making me doubt this is first the noise and second if it can handle the best skins well. Oh and also, does anyone know if it's possible to use my Harmony remote with this machine?

Thanks!
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lenovo Q190 - Test results & 2 questions3