• 3(current)
Lenovo Q190 - Test results & 2 questions
I'd also be very interested in the fan noise situation mentioned earlier in the thread. Was there any cure for the fan seemingly running full all the time? on a scale of 1 to xbox, how much noise are we talking about?
haha 1 to xbox. Good scale! whooooooosh!
The Q 190 doesn't come with infrared or Bluetooth capabilities. You can buy an IR adapter that would work. This is something that I plan to do but I have not done a lot of research. I read a while ago a great thread about the capabilities of the ir adapter that comes with the Roswell RC 126 remote that you can find on newegg. Here is not the best thread, but it answers your question.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ed+adapter
Thanks for the info, any thoughts on the fans you could share?
My machine is shipping Monday- I got a sound meter and will share percise info when everything is up and gong.
thanks! If anyone else can chime in today I'd appreciate it. I'd ideally like to steal it for $249 with free shipping today :-)
(2013-03-07, 22:09)josh5565 Wrote: [quote='GRS10605' pid='1358397' dateline='1362625794']
I just picked up the basic Lenevo Q190 model on Lenovo's site for $249 + free shipping !

Use coupon code USPQ500228. VALID TO 03/08/2013

Use coupon code USP1MA426678 to get $45 off lenovo Multimedia Remote with backlit keyboard N5902 $35 instead of $80!

• Intel Celeron Processor 887( 1.50GHz 1333MHz 2MB)
• Windows 8 64
• Intel Integrated HD Graphics
• 4.0GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz
• USB Keyboard and Mouse (Black)
• 500GB 5400 rpm
• Broadcom 11b/g/n Wi-Fi wireless
• One year
• Desktop
• 6-in-1 Card Reader
• HDMI (Out)

I was hoping to get some advice. Is an upgrade to 8GB going to drastically improve performance?
Any suggested upgrades?

I appreciate any help,

Gary

Just ordered the same as you! Thanks for the coupon codes, quite a saving. Hopefully this will replace my ATV2 and I can sell that for $200 on ebay, so this in theory only costs me $100!
Well my unit has arrived and I fully agree with the OP! I've only managed a few hours of testing this evening. I can confirm that the basic Q190 easily handles any skin (and slick too, no sluggishness anywhere that I can cause), HD Audio Bitstreaming, flawless 1080p playback. The fan is much better than I was expecting too. I was planning on putting mine in a drawer in my tv cabinet, but i'm debating it now as it looks pretty slick and it's TINY and pretty damn quiet! It's literally just over 2 times wider then my ATV2 and wouldn't look out of place under the TV.

Currently booting out of Windows 8, as not had chance to investigate OpenElec so far. I can't recommend this enough!
I too received my Q190 in the mail yesterday. I was worried about the fan with being in the bedroom. However with the room completely silent I can't hear it running at all! This is a great little box and has been able to handle everything I throw at it Aeon Skin, Thor...everything looks fantastic! The only thing I hate and will be changing tonight is Windows 8! It's got to go...It hates my unraid box for some reason and didn't want to see my TV Show share sometimes...other times the Movie share. Even though the other would work at the same given time! So....OpenElec here I come!
Yeah I agree with the Windows 8 thing. So far I've had nothing but problems on the networking side of things with Windows 8. Last night when watching the first program on my Lenovo it stopped working half way through. Panic struck! The wife looked at me in anger and I thought nooooooo for a few seconds. I then realised that it wasn't really the machines fault but a DNS issue and it couldn't find my NAS based on name. I changed my paths to use IP instead and it worked perfect the rest of the night. I've had similar problems on my laptop (Win8) too. I was so relieved it wasn't a video/audio/xbmc related issue!

I've not used OpenElec before, but would it support HD Bitstreaming on this device?

So 24 hours later i'm still as impressed with this box! For $249 it was an absolute steal. Getting my ATV2 up on ebay shortly to claw back $200 of that hopefully!
Thinking about the I3 option,to use it for browsing and some games. Can you use a full size key board with say a integrated trackball. Would this work as a pc also, main purpose is still Htpc though. Is Win 8 a all right choice, if so what version?
Or should I forget the whole thing and just build a mini PC?
Yeah it's essentially a PC anyway, so yeah a full size keyboard and mouse is included but you could use one with a trackball just like you would on any other Windows machine. Will work great for general browsing (haven't tried any games on mine as yet though). The Windows 8 interface if using the metro design is actually pretty user friendly if I left my wife loose on it but can't decide if OpenElec might be the easiest way to go.
Hi,

I got mine yesterday as well . I plugged it in quickly and watched all the lights go on on my receiver -streaming DTS HD Audio Master!! I tried a handful of other movies . On some the video had pixelation issues . What settings are you using ? Did you have to install different drivers . I haven't had a chance to trouble shoot.

Thx -
(2013-03-15, 23:15)GRS10605 Wrote: On some the video had pixelation issues . What settings are you using ? Did you have to install different drivers . I haven't had a chance to trouble shoot.

Thx -
Since it is Intel iGPU, you might want to disable DXVA2 in Frodo video.......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Thanks!! That solved the issue. I also went to the intel download center and got an updated graphics driver .
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lenovo Q190 - Test results & 2 questions3