• 8(current)
Lenovo Q190 - Test results & 2 questions
(2013-04-05, 23:04)leandrogales Wrote: So , what would be the best build for XBMC, a lot of 1080p content, 3D (problably just side-by-side), i would like netflix too, but i can run it on the smart tv, so no problem if boot directly into XBMC.
So, would it be the (http://ow.ly/1uwtfu) eSkRo's Builds, the Q190 or the zotac box?

Not sure, as I don't have a 3D tv to check, but apparently side by side 3D works fine on the Q190. Everything else you would be fine with.
(2013-04-05, 23:18)brownn Wrote:
(2013-04-05, 12:15)noggin Wrote: For those in the UK, the non-Windows 8 (it comes with FreeDOS) Celeron version is back up for pre-order at Ebuyer for £199. http://www.ebuyer.com/482910-lenovo-idea...p-57315414

4GB RAM and 1TB Hard drive with Celeron 887

Ordered one of these today for the bedroom, cant wait for it to arrive and try live and openelec, but the only thing Im concerned about is that there are issues with the Wifi driver at the moment on Linux

Might be worth looking at a cheap Wifi Ethernet adaptor like this : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Link-TL-WR702N-1...ink+travel

I've used these, or similar devices, to connect non-Wifi devices in the past (such as my mum's Freeview HD+ PVR so she can watch iPlayer!)

Personally I use a mix of wired Ethernet and Powerline Ethernet for media streaming at home, as I live in London and 2.4GHz Wifi is congested as anything (and a lot of my devices don't have integrated WiFi, or don't have 5GHz)
Anyone from Norway here that has found a site that offer shipping of this unit to Norway?
(2013-04-06, 12:04)noggin Wrote:
(2013-04-05, 23:18)brownn Wrote:
(2013-04-05, 12:15)noggin Wrote: For those in the UK, the non-Windows 8 (it comes with FreeDOS) Celeron version is back up for pre-order at Ebuyer for £199. http://www.ebuyer.com/482910-lenovo-idea...p-57315414

4GB RAM and 1TB Hard drive with Celeron 887

Ordered one of these today for the bedroom, cant wait for it to arrive and try live and openelec, but the only thing Im concerned about is that there are issues with the Wifi driver at the moment on Linux

Might be worth looking at a cheap Wifi Ethernet adaptor like this : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Link-TL-WR702N-1...ink+travel

I've used these, or similar devices, to connect non-Wifi devices in the past (such as my mum's Freeview HD+ PVR so she can watch iPlayer!)

Personally I use a mix of wired Ethernet and Powerline Ethernet for media streaming at home, as I live in London and 2.4GHz Wifi is congested as anything (and a lot of my devices don't have integrated WiFi, or don't have 5GHz)

Thanks for sharing this, if I cant get the Wifi working I think this might be the work around I need.
(2013-04-06, 11:26)Trooperlooper Wrote:
(2013-04-05, 23:04)leandrogales Wrote: So , what would be the best build for XBMC, a lot of 1080p content, 3D (problably just side-by-side), i would like netflix too, but i can run it on the smart tv, so no problem if boot directly into XBMC.
So, would it be the (http://ow.ly/1uwtfu) eSkRo's Builds, the Q190 or the zotac box?

Not sure, as I don't have a 3D tv to check, but apparently side by side 3D works fine on the Q190. Everything else you would be fine with.

New TV yesterday, and I can now confirm that SBS 3D works with no problem too.
I got $300 bucks to built my htpc, what would be best?
(2013-04-07, 10:09)leandrogales Wrote: I got $300 bucks to built my htpc, what would be best?

You'll get a better response if you ask in a HTPC build thread, I imagine. Smile
Does anyone have any experience running the q190 with XBMC and SB/SAB/CP in the background? I have heard that sabnzbd can be pretty resource hungry when running par2. Just wondrering if there's enough headroom to handle playing videos while sab is doing its thing.
(2013-04-07, 12:50)xomnia Wrote: Does anyone have any experience running the q190 with XBMC and SB/SAB/CP in the background? I have heard that sabnzbd can be pretty resource hungry when running par2. Just wondrering if there's enough headroom to handle playing videos while sab is doing its thing.

I have this exact set-up with the low-end Celeron Q190 running WIndows 8, Frodo 12.1, and the latest versions I could get of SAB, SickBeard and CP. So far it's been running non-stop for about 2 weeks with no problems. Even when SAB is unpacking large files I notice no slowdown or stuttering. I have mine set-up to download to the local hard drive then SB/CP post processes and moves to the NAS. The fact that I'm streaming everything from the NAS and thus not working the local hard drive probably help with this. Not sure how it would cope streaming from the local hard drive and unpacking large files to the same drive at the same time...

..but, with my set-up, I'm more than happy. I don't play 3D stuff but plenty of hefty blu-ray files are fine.
(2013-04-08, 12:23)JesusOnEez Wrote: ..... Even when SAB is unpacking large files I notice no slowdown or stuttering. I have mine set-up to download to the local hard drive then SB/CP post processes and moves to the NAS. The fact that I'm streaming everything from the NAS and thus not working the local hard drive probably help with this. Not sure how it would cope streaming from the local hard drive and unpacking large files to the same drive at the same time...

I have exactly the same but with a Q180, and have no problems.
Ramping the fan speed down to 2k has caused me no issues Smile
(2013-04-08, 15:40)willp2003 Wrote:
(2013-04-08, 12:23)JesusOnEez Wrote: ..... Even when SAB is unpacking large files I notice no slowdown or stuttering. I have mine set-up to download to the local hard drive then SB/CP post processes and moves to the NAS. The fact that I'm streaming everything from the NAS and thus not working the local hard drive probably help with this. Not sure how it would cope streaming from the local hard drive and unpacking large files to the same drive at the same time...

Good to hear, do you guys use the hardware decoding in XBMC? I have been reading both that it works fine with intel under windows and that it works horribly. Not really a big issue either way I guess since it seems like you are both able to run everything at once, just wondering if its all running on top of software decoding. Also, I don't have a NAS, but my plan was to use a 1TB external USB3 drive that I have and have SB/CP post process to that, would that give me similar results?
So basically the base model of this with the 500gb will be great for 1080p? I will be streaming from another pc and this will be going behind the TV is this 1 of the best I will get for £250?
(2013-04-09, 15:54)xomnia Wrote:
(2013-04-08, 15:40)willp2003 Wrote:

Good to hear, do you guys use the hardware decoding in XBMC? I have been reading both that it works fine with intel under windows and that it works horribly. Not really a big issue either way I guess since it seems like you are both able to run everything at once, just wondering if its all running on top of software decoding. Also, I don't have a NAS, but my plan was to use a 1TB external USB3 drive that I have and have SB/CP post process to that, would that give me similar results?

I turned hardware decoding off on mine as I had a few heavy 1080p files that exhibited block artifacts. These disappeared when I turned hardware decoding off and everything has been running fine ever since. So yes, on mine it's running everything (SAB and so on) with software decoding all at the same time with no problems, and a NAS is just a fancy exteranl hard drive at the end of the day, so post-processing to a USB 3 drive should give the same results.

(2013-04-09, 16:54)syphermode Wrote: So basically the base model of this with the 500gb will be great for 1080p? I will be streaming from another pc and this will be going behind the TV is this 1 of the best I will get for £250?

For the money, it's great, although you may want to get the £199 Linux version and save £50...same hardware, bigger hard drive. It depends on whether you prefer a Windows/Linux kinda guy. I'm a Windows guy but will probably have a play with OpenELEC on an SSD at some point so I don't break my Windows install.
You can also get the Acer Revo's for a similar price so they're probably worth a look (I only got the Q190 because the Revo I wanted wasn't available at the time)...it was a coin toss for me really.

(2013-04-09, 16:54)syphermode Wrote: So basically the base model of this with the 500gb will be great for 1080p? I will be streaming from another pc and this will be going behind the TV is this 1 of the best I will get for £250?

Actually, this Revo might be the better bet at the moment, same hardware as the low-end Q190 generally, 750Gb HDD and a DVD writer. £230 notes.

http://www.ebuyer.com/395455-acer-revo-r...-smbek-006
I have just ordered the 1 from ebuyer for £199.99 struggling to see the benefit of the acer as it pretty much is the same spec but 250gb less or am I missing something?
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lenovo Q190 - Test results & 2 questions3