• 13(current)
HOW-TO:Share libraries using MySQL: Wiki Edition
(2013-11-27, 17:37)thegurujim Wrote: My QNAP NAS is stuck on MYSQL 5.1 does syncing work on a version this old?

hi, i've my setup runnning with the same nas and it works (also with frodo 12.3). the problem is the performance, i think that 5.5 is much better...the qnap team is not updating it...when i've mldonkey + pyload + mysql running from my qnap ts-419p+, xbmc doesn't come up so quickly....i will make some tests in the next day to find a way to upgrade mysql or switch to mariadb. best regards.

This is my setup.

It works reasonably well. I can stop in one room and play in another no problem. I can update on the main HTPC and it will show up and play in the bedroom.

But I cannot do an update from the bedroom OpenElec which is really annoying. When I try to it ignores the path substitutions and scans/adds media from /var/media/.. which of course is adding duplicates as the HTPC library is based on /media/... and /home/user/some-media.

I can't help but feel that it isn't optimal and is kind of screwed.

I guess I realize I could start my library over again and base it on the /var/media directories on both machines. But is that the best setup or am I missing something?
(2014-01-24, 01:53)cmaxwell Wrote: I guess I realize I could start my library over again and base it on the /var/media directories on both machines. But is that the best setup or am I missing something?

If you want to be able to scrape from any client, you need all the clients to be using the same paths. As path substitution doesn't appear to work when scraping, I think you're only options are these:
  1. Configure the sources using the /var/media mount points
  2. Configure the sources using NFS paths (nfs:// etc.)

Option 1 would allow you to configure additional NFS performance optimisations, and would even allow you to swap NFS for SMB/CIFS or some other protocol if you so wish, your library will continue working uninterrupted.

Option 2 is often the easiest solution, but can be a little less reliable (particularly if you're testing nightlies).

Of course both options will require you to re-scrape your library from scratch, but at least once you've done that you can dispense with any further path substitution hacks.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-01-24, 11:02)MilhouseVH Wrote:
(2014-01-24, 01:53)cmaxwell Wrote: I guess I realize I could start my library over again and base it on the /var/media directories on both machines. But is that the best setup or am I missing something?

If you want to be able to scrape from any client, you need all the clients to be using the same paths. As path substitution doesn't appear to work when scraping, I think you're only options are these:
  1. Configure the sources using the /var/media mount points
  2. Configure the sources using NFS paths (nfs:// etc.)

Option 1 would allow you to configure additional NFS performance optimisations, and would even allow you to swap NFS for SMB/CIFS or some other protocol if you so wish, your library will continue working uninterrupted.

Option 2 is often the easiest solution, but can be a little less reliable (particularly if you're testing nightlies).

Of course both options will require you to re-scrape your library from scratch, but at least once you've done that you can dispense with any further path substitution hacks.

Thanks for the response. I guess that is what I figured...well maybe I will trigger the rescrape over the weekend. The girlfriend hates when I rescrape because she doeen't know what is "latest" anymore and she loses the watched/unwatched flag. But I guess it is worth it given that we need to be able to refresh from other rooms.
You can backup/restore your watched status - see script in my sig, there may also be an addon also.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Update. Everything is working now.

I havnt used the right path to my movies and tv-series.
When i changed to smb://workgroup/computer-name/movies it worked =)

Hi all.
I have some problems to get this to work. Trying to explain here now.
I have an server computer with MySQL 5.5 and Xbmc 13.3 on.
Have followed all the instructions (i think)and im sharing some tvseries and some movies.
And i also have copied advancedsettings.xml to all my xbmc installations,

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <videodatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>192.168.1.3</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>xbmc</pass>
    </videodatabase>

<musicdatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>192.168.1.3</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>xbmc</pass>
    </musicdatabase>

<videolibrary>
          <importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
     </videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>

So now im on the ATV2. Fresh Xbmc installation.
I see Tv-shows and Movies directly.
On tv-shows i have posters, banners, everything.
Movies i dont have any pics. I see only Movie name, imdb score and plot.
When i try to play a movie/tv-show i got message that the movie/tv-show is no longer availiable.

If i add the movie or tv-show directory (smb:ip-adress/folder) he doesnt care.
But the funny part if i go to files/movie directory i can see all posters etc. on the movies.

Have i missed something important? I think the database is working but i have mostly missed something.
Its the same problem with my computer.
Hi,

i'm going down this route today but wanted to ask a question or two first.

I have a Windows 7 network with all the files shared on the main (server) pc in the loft.

what do i do with the existing sources on the main pc? do i delete them or export them? then configure the advancedsettings.xml?

each other client pc is pointing to these network shares (set up individually). do i remove those sources too?
(2014-03-03, 11:35)johnmerrick Wrote: Hi,

i'm going down this route today but wanted to ask a question or two first.

I have a Windows 7 network with all the files shared on the main (server) pc in the loft.

what do i do with the existing sources on the main pc? do i delete them or export them? then configure the advancedsettings.xml?

each other client pc is pointing to these network shares (set up individually). do i remove those sources too?

Fastest way to migrate is export your library from your main xbmc unit into separate files. This will export all your info into an .nfo file per movie/episode/show and it will also export all your fanart/thumbs etc. Be warned that if you haven't organized your media in a neat fashion, meaning movies each in a separate folder, shows in separate folder per season etc, it will be rather messy. I'm not totally sure, but I believe naming conventions are now created in such a way, that no files would be overwritten if you haven't organized your files properly.

Then, on one xbmc unit, edit your advancedsettings to point to your sql server and do a library update. It will build a central database, based on the export you just did. After that, you can edit all the other units' advancedsettings.xml.

If by local sources, you mean the content of sources.xml, they should stay intact. Local databases can be removed afterwards. Local media (music, movies, shows) should be removed since your database will point to the central media on your server.
CoreElec on a tn95 (s905x). Onkyo NR-656. Canton Movie CD-1000. LG 55B6V.

If it ain't broke: break it, fix it, repeat
You need to export you library before you make the changes. Once you have made the changes and MYSQL is installed you then import your library back in.

To be fair, I didn't mind scanning my entire library again as I only had a couple hundred movies, so it took about 20 mins. So I deleted my sources and made the changes and then scanned my items back in
Thanks for both replies.

i have gone down the route of removing all sources manually then cleaning db's on each.

My folders are all organised neatly.

As i have done this what shall i do with the thumbnail folders on each client pc? Just leave them?
(2014-03-03, 12:39)johnmerrick Wrote: Thanks for both replies.

i have gone down the route of removing all sources manually then cleaning db's on each.

My folders are all organised neatly.

As i have done this what shall i do with the thumbnail folders on each client pc? Just leave them?

Cleaning db's was an unnecessary step, this only cleans the local db, which you can throw away anyway once your central db is set up.

Artwork is still stored locally and managed via textures*.db.
Not sure, but chances are that moving from a local db to a central db creates duplicates of all your artwork.

To start of clean, I'd remove the thumbnails and textures*.db and let it rebuild, or use the artworkcleanup addon to do it for you. First option is probably quicker in this case.

if XBMC on the main server is closed but the server is on (24/7) will the clients still be able access the database?
(2014-03-03, 14:58)johnmerrick Wrote: if XBMC on the main server is closed but the server is on (24/7) will the clients still be able access the database?

Yes. There doesn't even have to be an install of xbmc on the main server, though it is nice to have it as an auto library update. If you have something like that, you don't have to enable scan library at startup or auto-update on all your other clients.

thanks. I'll probably leave it on then as it was set to turn off after 20 mins idle.

I have watchdog enabled on all clients. i'm not sure if that's needed now?
I've just noticed that all of my music a-d is now not appearing (library is still scanning in) whereas it was before and now they start from the letter 'e'?

Also, total movies have fallen by over 100. How could this have happened?
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO:Share libraries using MySQL: Wiki Edition2