Error 2: Share Not Available/Ubuntu 12.04
I'm running my R.Pi on an ethernet connection and had been previously sharing content to Raspbmc from my Asus 1225C with Ubuntu 12.04.

I now have the much-discussed Error 2: Share Not Available problem. So far, I have tried:
- rebooting my R.Pi
- rebooting my Asus 1225C
- cancelling my shared folders and re-creating them
- re-installing Raspbmc
- changing the name of WORKGROUP, rebooting, reverting to original, rebooting
- giving user XBMC administrative rights (I think I did this correctly)
- adding the SMB share via Add Network Location (this produces a different error message, saying the 1225C is not connected)

I've had only the Error 2 message approx. 9872 times, and once or twice I've been able to Browse my SMB Workgroup but the 1225C is not detected. Excuse me if I haven't included any necessary information.
Why are you using SMB shares on Ubuntu...? Surely exporting over NFS would be a better/easier option, particularly for a Pi (NFS being a lower overhead/more efficient network protocol than SMB aka CIFS).

Though presumably the error you are seeing is a Raspbmc specific issue (if it's been much discussed it hasn't been happening here) so I suspect you may have more luck asking over on the Raspbmc forum.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
SMB shares take just a few clicks to create on Ubuntu.

The problem isn't specific to Raspbmc, try this query in the search engine of your choice: site:xbmc.org error 2 share not available

I'll look into NFS, something of a noob so hoped there might be an SMB-based solution.
Tried NFS, adding via Browser and Add Network Location - no success.

Via Browser, no error message, it stops working with no result.

Vis Add Network Location, same error message as with SMB.

Any more ideas?
When you setup NFS, what was in your /ext/exports? Did you setup the NFS server (this may not be necessary in Ubuntu 12.04, haven't tried it myself...)

Debian NFS Server Setup guide which might be useful.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I've currently added the following to etc/exports:
/nfs/allread *(ro,all_squash,insecure)

It's what's recommended in the wiki on this site. Before that, I'd tried three separate commands for the three folders I want to share, using this as a guide: http://ksearch.wordpress.com/2010/09/29/nfs-linux-mint/

I also used the official Ubuntu guide, no success...
Weeks later, I still haven't fixed this. I've added the shares to sources.xml. I've tried Raspbmc, Openelec and XBian. I've added a force user = to smb.conf.

Any other ideas?
yeah post a debug log.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

I hope this is the right info in the right format.
Arggghh... please, please people... filter out the CecLogMessage garbage when posting debug logs (unless it's a CEC related problem, of course...!)

I'm sorry, but I just can't be bothered wading through a log with so much noise.

@damianoloan: Try "grep -v CecLogMessage ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log" to create a log without the noise (or disable CEC entirely in System -> Settings -> System -> Input Devices -> Peripherals -> Raspberry Pi CEC Adapter, and uncheck Enabled)
CEC disabled: http://pastebin.com/22dMCVPR
Code:
20:01:37 T:2854220864   DEBUG: OpenDir - Using authentication url smb://WORKGROUP
20:01:56 T:2854220864   ERROR: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://192.168.1.43/home/damian/Videos'
                                            unix_err:'6e' error : 'Connection timed out'

So the obvious question is what is the IP address of your Ubuntu laptop, is it still 192.168.1.43 (assuming this is a DHCP assigned address and not a static IP address, which it probably needs to be, or alternatively use the laptop hostname when referencing the smb shares)?

Since it requires authentication, do you have a passwords.xml?

Unfortunately the error itself is rather generic.
Relevant ifconfig output on Asus 1225C:
Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr e0:b9:a5:f7:9b:b2
inet addr:192.168.1.43 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::e2b9:a5ff:fef7:9bb2/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:233548 errors:21 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:44237
TX packets:139398 errors:26 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:311734173 (311.7 MB) TX bytes:11990926 (11.9 MB)
Interrupt:17

smb.conf: http://pastebin.com/tpsWLJs9

It shouldn't require authentication, unless I've made an error somewhere.
(2013-03-07, 14:25)damianoloan Wrote: It shouldn't require authentication, unless I've made an error somewhere.

I was just going by the entry "Using authentication url smb://WORKGROUP" but thinking about it, that probably means something else other than username/password.
I should add: DHCP-assigned, and I did try with hostname without success.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Error 2: Share Not Available/Ubuntu 12.040