Win How to start XBMC from remote control!
Compatible and Actual are two different things, which is why you are having this issue. Again, if you followed the steps listed above (which I will go over again), it should work.

1. Don't disable MCE in Windows, so undo what you did.
2. If ctrl-shift-w opens XBMC in windows, then the Shortcut is correct.
3. In XBMC, be sure you have the MCERemote Add-on installed. You will need to run XBMC as an Administrator to allow MCERemote to make changes to Windows. So Right Click on XBMC shortcut, and select Run as an Administrator.
4. In MCERemote, Change the Windows button to ctrl-shift-w (like the screenshot above). Because you are in Administrator mode, it will write to the Registry these changes. Save and close out of MCERemote, and close XBMC, then reboot your PC.
5. Start Windows, and use the Green Button to launch XBMC.

Assuming you have done all the above, and it still doesn't work, make sure you have XBMC set to understand keyboard input (it's under Settings\Options\Input Devices or something like that.) You need to turn on Remote control Sends Keyboard Presses.

So if you have done all of the above, and it still doesn't work, then your HP Compatible eHome remote, isn't as compatible as it should be. Time to buy another remote.
Or you could dig into the sites that hack your registry to get the remote to work, or mess with eventghost, etc to make the changes (all require lots more work on your end to figure it out).
Thanks. I am using Windows 8.1 Pro now. Will try this anyway. Alt+Windows+Enter opens XBMC in 8.1.
(2014-07-24, 19:19)Powerhouse Wrote: Compatible and Actual are two different things, which is why you are having this issue. Again, if you followed the steps listed above (which I will go over again), it should work.

1. Don't disable MCE in Windows, so undo what you did.
2. If ctrl-shift-w opens XBMC in windows, then the Shortcut is correct.
3. In XBMC, be sure you have the MCERemote Add-on installed. You will need to run XBMC as an Administrator to allow MCERemote to make changes to Windows. So Right Click on XBMC shortcut, and select Run as an Administrator.
4. In MCERemote, Change the Windows button to ctrl-shift-w (like the screenshot above). Because you are in Administrator mode, it will write to the Registry these changes. Save and close out of MCERemote, and close XBMC, then reboot your PC.
5. Start Windows, and use the Green Button to launch XBMC.

Assuming you have done all the above, and it still doesn't work, make sure you have XBMC set to understand keyboard input (it's under Settings\Options\Input Devices or something like that.) You need to turn on Remote control Sends Keyboard Presses.

So if you have done all of the above, and it still doesn't work, then your HP Compatible eHome remote, isn't as compatible as it should be. Time to buy another remote.
Or you could dig into the sites that hack your registry to get the remote to work, or mess with eventghost, etc to make the changes (all require lots more work on your end to figure it out).
i5 4440 - H81 - 4X2 GB - 128 GB SSD - R7 240 - L42ET60D / S2240L - FiiO E10 - Fiio K5 Pro - Kali Audio LP6 - TinAudio T2 - BLON 03 - ATH-M40X - Anker Spirit X - JBL Flip 4 - Fenvi 9260 WiFi/BT 5 - Corsair K55/Harpoon - VS350 - Carbide 400R - Apple Shuffle 2GB + Fiio M5.
XBMC > KODI with the good old MCE Remote. 
Again not working! I did something dumb, now Alt+win+return doesnot open XBMC like it was opening earlier.
i5 4440 - H81 - 4X2 GB - 128 GB SSD - R7 240 - L42ET60D / S2240L - FiiO E10 - Fiio K5 Pro - Kali Audio LP6 - TinAudio T2 - BLON 03 - ATH-M40X - Anker Spirit X - JBL Flip 4 - Fenvi 9260 WiFi/BT 5 - Corsair K55/Harpoon - VS350 - Carbide 400R - Apple Shuffle 2GB + Fiio M5.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=200523

It worked but with this method.
So now you see why having a compatible Microsoft remote, doesn't mean it will work correctly. Glad you found a work around using another tool.
(2014-07-25, 19:30)Powerhouse Wrote: So now you see why having a compatible Microsoft remote, doesn't mean it will work correctly. Glad you found a work around using another tool.
Yep! I am not sure why I it did not work with this method. Maybe I missed something. But whatever works is good!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to start XBMC from remote control!0