Netflix Add-on for XBMCBuntu or Openelec
I have read many posts saying that a Netflix add-on is not possible for Linux based XBMC because of the Silverlight requirement.

If that is the case, how do the WD media players do it? Are theses boxes not running some form of Linux? If so, can something similiar be done for XBMC Linux distributions to allow Netflix access?

I am trying to create a media player appliance and do not want to use Windows just to watch Netflix.
^^x2
Can't run natively in Linux, but may work with Wine via the netflix-desktop package. See this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=154888
(2013-03-02, 03:22)artrafael Wrote: Can't run natively in Linux, but may work with Wine via the netflix-desktop package. See this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=154888
Thanks for the link artrafael, but has anyone ever looked into how the wd media players do it? I don't think they are running wine.
Same as with Roku, etc. using closed-source software. XBMC is open-source.
I understand that it maybe closed source software, but the point is that if they can get netflix to run on Linux others should be able to do it as well.
It's not a matter of "getting it to run", its that these device makers have signed on to Netflix proprietary content delivery/DRM system. If Netflix even wanted their service on XBMC (which they don't, though you might not be too surprised that Netflix employees are on this forum just as users), their closed API's and confidentiality agreements would not fit with the open source nature of XBMC.

If Netflix decides to support Linux beyond the closed apps they've done for Chrome OS, I'm sure some crafty nerd will create an XBMC addon in a heartbeat.

I would love Netflix integration, especially on OpenELEC, but until Netflix becomes more, rather than less open I'll have to make due with the Netflix apps on my TV. And roku. And ps3. And phone. And tablet. And PCs. And fridge, and toaster, etc...
Has anyone explored connecting Roku through xbmc? Maybe as an a/v input on a tuner card/or USB, where the video out from Roku is simply passed through. Maybe as a custom channel in PseudoTV or another epg? Forgive me if I just made an extreamly complicated process seem like it should be easy, I know nothing about what goes into the programing and I'm continually amazed by what is done here!
Main HTPC/Server, Ubuntu 18.04, Leia 18.0
ASUS Chromebox, Ubuntu 18.04, Leia 18.0, Aeon Nox 5: SiLVO Mod
I came across a post in another forum by cgimark which I believe answers my initial question. Here it is for anyone else interested...

"People always wonder why linux doesn’t have netflix and think , oh its no silverlight is why, sorry but that isn’t the reason.

Almost all bluray players run linux and those that support netflix do not use silverlight nor any component of it. Bluray players have hardware DRM support that the linux drivers use, pc linux users don’t have that hardware drm and so that is why they do not have netflix.

Same issue with the pi, the only way netflix will work is if broadcom ports the driver with DRM intact and even then netflix has to allow the device to be used by adding the hardware keys inside the chip to their approved list."
(2013-03-30, 20:44)Slifer Wrote: I came across a post in another forum by cgimark which I believe answers my initial question. Here it is for anyone else interested...

"People always wonder why linux doesn’t have netflix and think , oh its no silverlight is why, sorry but that isn’t the reason.

Almost all bluray players run linux and those that support netflix do not use silverlight nor any component of it. Bluray players have hardware DRM support that the linux drivers use, pc linux users don’t have that hardware drm and so that is why they do not have netflix.

Same issue with the pi, the only way netflix will work is if broadcom ports the driver with DRM intact and even then netflix has to allow the device to be used by adding the hardware keys inside the chip to their approved list."

That being said, we can use the netflix-destop app and the netflix personalized RSS Queues along with the standard New to Netflix RSS to cobble together a system that allows for us to browse Netflix's library, presumably with the RSS feeds or the CanIStreamIt API as backbone, then allows you to open up a Netflix-Desktop version of Firefox right to that specific movie player. Not ideal, and we'd have to use keybindings even to just play and pause it, let alone open up a new app on top of XBMC, but dem's the breaks I guess.
Silverlight on Linux has been out for a very long time.

It's called Moonlight.

http://www.mono-project.com/Moonlight

But problem is no DRM support.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonlight_(runtime)

The mono project is the Microsoft Dot.Net Framework on Linux.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mono_(software)

I used both at times when needed, they both work good on ubuntu so far depending what type of program you are trying to run.

Silverlight has not been used as much the past couple of years, it was a good ideal that never caught on, with html5 mostly out, things have changed.

Netflix have said they are looking for something to replace the silverlight system on their services this past year in one of their events.

Most devices, set-top boxes, media player boxes run a linux kernel and have a netflix apps that work with DRM with netflix, so there must be a way right to get it working with xbmc or other?
You could try Plex...

It's free, and it has channels that allows you to use things like Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, Spotify, and even more. You can even store media using it.

The addon is called PleXBMC.

Sadly I don't remember the download link. Sad
There is also pipelight, which uses the windows versions of flash/silver light via wine. I've used flash to playback quite a few drm'd clips and a handful of silver light videos in Linux and they've played back well- probably better than Linux version of flash.
I don't think Plex has netflix channel anymore.
I don't know a thing about how these things actually work, but an idea I had was how hard would it be to build an Android emulator type thing within Kodi? For example, on my PC I have Bluestacks installed, and within that I can install Netflix from the Google Play Store and run it without a problem. In one of my moments of brilliant stupidity, I started thinking that a system like this would solve these issues for good. It would allow Kodi to essentially have access to every streaming service ever made. I mean, how hard could it be? =P

However, one workaround I've found that does allow Netflix (and tons of other services) work within Kodi is PlayOn. I purchased the lifetime something something whatever plan (which right now is 50% off, where the lifetime cost is only $40). I can now access and stream anything Netflix has to offer. The only downsides is that they do not have Netflix profile support, it's whatever the first profile you made is, and it streams like a live stream, you can't navigate within the video. It also doesn't keep track of what you've watched. However it DOES play, and that's better than nothing!

(On a side-note, if you buy the PlayLater in addition to PlayOn, you can record anything on Netflix directly to your PC and then just stream it as usual to Kodi.)

((On another side-note, it was HARD for me to say Kodi everytime.... but I'm learning! Baby steps...))

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Netflix Add-on for XBMCBuntu or Openelec0