Wrong channel mapping
(2013-03-13, 21:42)Mercury_22 Wrote:
(2013-03-13, 19:39)DDDamian Wrote:
(2013-03-13, 18:54)bluray Wrote: I doubt that other users are paying very close attention to detail as us.....if they don't test their surround sound sytem and listen to it carefully, they'll never notice anything wrong with it......

I've tested several 7.1 files specifically for channel layouts - some video-based (using DVDPlayer) and some pure audio (PAPlayer), some off the net and some homemade with Audacity - they all map correctly. I've seen this issue on Linux where people have custom maps, but not on Windows...

Did you test with a 5.1 file e.g. the one from my link from the first post ?
And did you test with a sound card -> direct to speakers chain ?
Or the 5.1 directly from Dolby website- Channel Check.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Yep, both the above are fine on mine - all my Windows boxes are ATI GPU's...

@bluray - you have nVidia too right? Anything odd on your gear?
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2013-03-14, 19:14)DDDamian Wrote: Yep, both the above are fine on mine - all my Windows boxes are ATI GPU's...

I have ATI GPU too BUT what has that got to do with anything ? I repeat NO passthrough, NO AVR, NO HDMI, NO SPDIF just speakers direct connected to my sound card !
Did you test with just sound card and speakers ?
(2013-03-14, 19:14)DDDamian Wrote: Yep, both the above are fine on mine - all my Windows boxes are ATI GPU's...

It happens on my AMD, nVidia and Intel. I checked AC3 capable receiver option with WASAPI in Frodo audio output, I got no sound. I un-checked AC3 capable receiver option with WASAPI in Frodo audio output, I got sound but the left/right rear surround speakers are reversed. I don't notice anything odd on my gear, because my surround speakers and all other speakers verified correct on Audyssey, WMP and other media players.....

I tested it with Eden last year, and the surround speakers and all other speakers were correct.....

As I said, I don't care much about DD+ because I barely have anything movie with DD+......
I'm confused bluray - the test file Mercury_22 linked is AC3, not DD+

@Mercury_22 - my GPU's are my sound cards. I was asking bluray because I believe he has both ATI and nVidia to test, but he's talking about DD+. I'm basically trying to narrow it down to channel mapping in general vs the specific audio device.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2013-03-15, 06:48)DDDamian Wrote: I'm confused bluray - the test file Mercury_22 linked is AC3, not DD+

@Mercury_22 - my GPU's are my sound cards. I was asking bluray because I believe he has both ATI and nVidia to test, but he's talking about DD+. I'm basically trying to narrow it down to channel mapping in general vs the specific audio device.

Like I've said before and the guy from Linux: rear chnnels mixed to front for DTS and AC3 did too this happens for DTS (HD) too

So, so far this has been tested with AC3, DD+,DTS

And I've ask you to test with a "normal" Smile sound card because when using your gpu as sound card you're (most likely since you've said you've tested 7.1 and everything it's OK) using passthrough which means that XBMC doesn't do the decoding !
(2013-03-15, 06:48)DDDamian Wrote: I'm confused bluray - the test file Mercury_22 linked is AC3, not DD+
The AC3 test file Mercury posted in his 1st post is testing the same thing as the DD+ test file from Dolby website. I tested both files, and it gave me the same result.....DD+ is simply an optional codec on BD, and it is deployed as an extension to an AC-3 core 5.1.

As Mercury said; the 5.1 option in Frodo is mess up, and I can never get it to test right either. The only way I can get 5.1 AC3 and DD+ to map to the right channel is by configured Frodo to 7.1 as shown in my screenshot below, which is very similar to what you mentioned in the earlier post......the configures below mapped to the right channels on all GPU's (nVidia, AMD and Intel).....

Okay, so when decoding AC3 to pcm with a 5.1 speaker configuration does not map correctly but AC3 to pcm with a 7.1 speaker configuration does?

Just FYI, Windows and Linux will handle this uniquely (in Linux you have more mapping possibilities outside XBMC), so just Windows pls.
(2013-03-15, 20:24)DDDamian Wrote: Okay, so when decoding AC3 to pcm with a 5.1 speaker configuration does not map correctly but AC3 to pcm with a 7.1 speaker configuration does?
That is correct.....

Just want to add a couple more notes- When "Output stereo to all speakers" option is selected with the 7.1 configuration, the rear/right surround sound is playback on the front right speaker. When "Dolby digital (AC3) capable receiver" option is selected, there is no sound on both 5.1 and 7.1 configurations.....

When testing on Audyssey, WMP, MPC-HC, Windows sound configuratoin, etc the surround sound speakers are correct.......
I do see where an oops has been added post-AE-merge regarding the stereo-upmix stuff - it's no longer testing that the source was 2ch.....
After more "playing" with the 7.1 speaker configuration in XBMC I've made a weird discovery : with 7.1 config. set in XBMC everything it's playing correct in both DirectSound and WASAPI EVEN IF I SET A 5.1 SPEAKER CONFIGURATION IN WINDOWS !!!

Also it doesn't matter which device is the default in windows, XBMC it's playing fine the device selected in it's audio configuration in both DirectSound and WASAPI and correct too if, like I've said, I set XBMC to 7.1
Exclamation 
This seems to be PARTIALLY fixed I'm guessing because of this commit
With DirectSound the 5.1 it's now playing correctly = the channels are correct mapped so no more surround channels playing in the front speakers too

BUT the WASAPI 5.1 is still not working !Confused

P.S. As I've mentioned before WASAPI it's working fine in all other configs 7.1, 2.0....
ok, first off, sorry for posting in an old thread,
But ive got exactly the same problem. Realtek ALC888 Codec to an ANALOG 5.1 sound system.
Set to 5.1 in xbmc and in windows, i hear the rear sounds playing through the rear AS WELL AS THE FRONTS...using XMBC 12.2

Tried Xbmc 12.0, same issue....11.0 seems to fix it.

One thing ive noticed is that in the info, it says 5.1 (side), could that be causing the issue? if yes, what would be the way to fix it ? seems like a mapping issue to me too.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wrong channel mapping0