"Weather" section enhancements/improvements suggestions...
Lightbulb 
very very cool!  nice work!  i wanted this back in xbmp but nobody really got on board with the idea.  i am glad to see it surfacing in xbmc.

just and idea, i don't know if you thought about this.  i presume it will work by being able to pull up the weather from a "my weather" section on the main menu, but i think it would be good to have it as an optional screen saver too.  it could just be an addition to matrix, blank, and fade that are there now.  it could refresh every half hour or so by itself. i leave my xbox on all the time and that way i could simply just turn on the tv and right there is the weather forecast for me and my family.
how about having the images for rain/snow/lightning to be animated?
please remember and respect that this specific topic thread is for "feature suggestions" for my weather, and not for support or bugs
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
i would like to see a way to switch between presets.
it would be nice if a user could choose more than one city, and togle between them. or this is already possible?
since my weather seems to be working fairly well for everyone, i've got some enhancement idea's. i don't know if any of them have been mentioned yet, so some might be repeats, and they might be possible already via the skin being used, but here they are:

back button - since theres ample screen space, i think to go along with the "refresh" should be a back button. this would make it easy to go back to the main menu(since i find that pushing down, a is faster than reaching for new buttons, and others might too).

multiple locals - be able to choose more than one zip code that can be displayed, have buttons for each one listed by its looked up local info. have a default zip code for the initial display. refresh should be able to refresh all of them.
Kodi v17.6 on Asustor NAS
Kodi v17.6 on Fire Stick v2
now that we have weather (thank you very much frodo and gang), i'd like to see the ability to set a home code and then allow for setting on-the-fly look-ups. for example, i ski a lot and want to know what the weather is going to be at the mountain we're heading to. now it would be a huge hassle to get that on the xbox just for a single use. it'd be great to be able to type in my info, get the data and then leave. upon re-entering i'd see the default home area report again.

i'd still also like to see more depth including 10-day forecasts, radar maps and so forth.
Exclamation 
option to set/sellect these from gui would be very nice:
- mph or mps ( mph = miles per hour, english units ) ( mps = meters per second, metric units )
- f or c (fahrenheit or celsius)
- minutes between refresh

option to 'bookmark' several country/city locations be sweet too
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
i do also note that there are a few bugs witht he display of the current textual condition. i often see "snow snow" or "partly party cloudy"

as i mentioned elsewhere, take a look at this site for shots of other weather-specific screens that were done for the java hmo project (tivo):

http://javahmo.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

(i also think the movie listing part is hot!Wink

their interface stinks as does the look of the screens. we're way ahead on that part (though more screens including longer forecasts would be great). i'd like this to contain the detailed forecast, 5-day, 10-day, various radar shots and as noted above, the ability to put in a temporary location so that i can see conditions where i plan to be visiting.
would be nice to see the time and date format set for the xbox at the top of the screen. like 24 h time and date like dd/mm/yyyy if that is what's set on the xbox. xbmc already does that on the startpage (time) and in settingsConfusedystem info (time and date).

maybe use "today" and "tomorrow" for the first two days in the bottom row. maybe problematic since then you need to handle time zone? today i don't think you do since the days isn't shifted at 00:00 amat my time zone. for clarity, also show a text "today" above the large weather area.

is there any more info that could be extracted from wheather.com? like moon fase, or detailed info for comming day (usable in subscreens for each day)?

general questions:
is the time at the top the time of the actual weather data being sampled, or?

what is the relationship between the large middle-of-screen today description and the small today description in the first position at the bottom row? it the small one a prediction that isn't updated at all (during the day) and the large one regularly updated from sampled weather data?
/mosax :) ...likes xbmc
(agrajag @ feb. 18 2004,06:50 Wrote:i do also note that there are a few bugs witht he display of the current textual condition. i often see "snow snow" or "partly party cloudy"
again, please remember and respect that this specific topic thread is for "feature suggestions" for my weather, and not for support or bugs, thx
instead of using dns lookups for weather report (weatherchannel.com/.co.uk).

what happens if the ip address for the weatherchannel changes it would cease to work.

just an observation from the sniffing network thread i also posted here.

regards

j
submitted patch to sf that adds meters per second to windpeed.
get from here.
Asus P5N7A-VM|Win7 32bit|Intel C2D E8400|2GB|integrated nVidia 9300-HDMI|Integrated Audio-Optical SPDIF| 50" plasma 3DTV (Samsung PS50C7705)
(kompressor_uk @ feb. 18 2004,16:45 Wrote:instead of using dns lookups for weather report (weatherchannel.com/.co.uk).

what happens if the ip address for the weatherchannel changes it would cease to work.

just an observation from the sniffing network thread i also posted here.

regards

j
what do you mean? when you do a dns lookup, it passes the dns name (weather.com) to the dns resolver. that then converts the name to an ip.

if the ip for weather.com changes, then the nameserver that you use will update the mapping between name and ip and then the lookup from xbmc (assuming it doesn't keep the ip for weather.com cached all the time and xbmc is never restarted) will always goto the nameserver and get the correct ip.

ts
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

i'd like to be able to configure weather section so i can read in local temps from probes i have around my house and land.

that would be fricking awesome.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Weather" section enhancements/improvements suggestions...0