Accessing home media over the Internet?
not sure if some mentioned this as i have not read all posts but the new ASUS Routers have ASUS AI Cloud which allows you to access you media over wifi, ethernet 3G/4G and you can choose whether you want to access the drive plugged into the usb slot on the router itself or there is an option to access any computer on your network and you can view movies, photos music all through built in players (i think the video one is a special version of VLC which is good)

i plan on buying one of these routers i was on the fence as i already have a great billion 7800n but seeing as my country is in the process of upgrading the nation's internet connection to 100mbps/40mbps fibre optic my billion 7800n apparently bottle necks at 50mbps down so something like the ASUS RT-N65U will release that bottleneck along with other features such as dual band wifi and the ASUS AI Cloud i just mentioned

there is already Android and iOS apps to access your media from your home network on your iphone or android from anywhere

check out this video from newegg a bit long because it shows you all the features

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBKFtSRw8IM
Unfortunately most of us don't have access to anywhere near that kind of bandwidth (my connection tops out at 2mb upstream) so transcoding is something of a necessity.
(2013-04-03, 18:24)Headcase_Fargon Wrote: Unfortunately most of us don't have access to anywhere near that kind of bandwidth (my connection tops out at 2mb upstream) so transcoding is something of a necessity.

yeah i don't have access yet this is one of the larget infrastructure projects my country has even undertaken (costing around $37 billion) and of course this means some initial teething problems i might another year or more before i see the new connection speed although gonna be sweet 100mbps down and 40mpbs up i think that translates to about 12mb/s download and 5mb/s upload

no more buffering issues and can easily watch streaming 1080p video online i might even get into uploading videos to youtube would actually be good because i have a lot of people i have recommended xbmc to but some have occasional trouble doing stuff and they live far away so can just send them youtube links and can record a video of how to do it which might help noobs here as well

my 3g connection on my iphone gets around 1mb/s to 1.2mb/s not too bad might be able to stream SD video over it and almost definately music and pictures
I have the answer.

With AI Cloud you can access your library from a remote location on a PC using https://username.asuscomm.com

Simply change https to ftp as in ftp://username.asuscomm.com

THEN add ftp://username.asuscomm.com as a VIDEO source. Be sure to include path to your Movies, for example ftp://username.asuscomm.com/video

You can remotely add your music library the same way: ftp://username.asuscomm.com/music

This allows you to access your home library "on the road." by adding the ftp URL for your AI Cloud library as a source

reference to banned add-on (wiki) removed - DarrenHill

Questions?
Plex is superior for remote access. I don't really like plexbmc so here's my setup:
- Synology DS216play running Plex. Doesn't have transcoding capabilities but I have 100Mbits upload. Also holds MySQL.
- Kodi on my (now broken) old htpc computer that I used as a Kodi box.

What keeps in all together? Trakt.tv. I keep the watched status synchronized between both and I can keep having the pure Kodi experience. I do have two libraries but both Plex and Kodi scrapers are so good I never have to do a single edit (I do name my things well).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Accessing home media over the Internet?0