Req Tags on root folder
Lightbulb 
Dear Kodi team,

First, I would like to thank you all for this awesome project. I learned about Kodi recently and I'm still in the learning stage.

I am not a tech guy and often use reference from youtube and some from your wiki guide to follow. I am looking for a way to use tag efficiently but ends up few choices. From the posted solution provided, user only have 2 choices, 1) use kodi features (which i am using) and 2) creating nfo tags. While use of genre helps a lot in sorting movie files, the use of tags should extend its purpose effortlessly.

Before i start using kodi, files are sorted based on my personal preference "tags", (I'm sure a lot of user does the same)

Example of my folder:
-[My movies] <-- My media folder
-- [Animation]
-- [Action] <-- assorted action movies directory
----- [action 1] <-- movie files
----- [action 2] <-- movie files
----- [action 3] <-- movie files
-- [Classics] <-- assorted classic movies
-- [Dance Musical Play] <-- movies related to dance, musical and play
-- [Man and Machine] <-- movies that has robot/machine like i-robot, transformer,robocop etc.
-- [Time Travel] <-- movies that involves time travel
-- [Super Heroes] <-- hero movies like spiderman, ironman etc.
-- [Zombie] <-- and so on..
-- so on..

Once inside kodi, movies are sorted accordingly. After creating a tag name (use of Kodi tagging feature), user are then presented with all the list of movie files. User have to select each file to add them to your custom tags. imagine if you have 500 files, you have to run/scroll down all 500 files to select a file each time you create a custom tag. This is a tedious task from a lazy user perspective. (also the tag screen can only shows list of 11 lines at a time)

My Suggestion:
1 - (improve the use of Kodi tagging feature) - have an option to select root directory folder as well so user can only tag them once and each time you add files and place them on that directory folder, this will be carried out at the same time when scanning for new uploads.
2 - Would it be fine to have a simple tags.nfo that doesnt have to require learning xml (ex. action.nfo, or classics.nfo) and place them to each root directory folder (and not the movie folder itself so it wont intervene with your current xml/nfo, err see example above).

The idea is to do it once, the simple way. Rather than editing or creating xml files for each media file, or doing file selection process on tag section whenever you added one movie file.

Apology for my poor English, let me know if i need to clarify more. I'm just thinking i could be of help with my simple suggestion but maybe someone already did, if so kindly share the link where other tagging option/tricks/workaround can be found the simple way.

thanks and more power kodi team!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tags on root folder0